Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chvrches - Love Is Dead (May 25, 2018) Album • Page 16

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Feb 26, 2018.

1. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

2. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

three best songs on the record for sure

3. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

4. Night_Sky

Regular

Some more thoughts:

- Some of the best parts of this album are in the pre-chorus sections.

- Post chorus to 'Wonderland' reminds me of the intro/post-chorus to New Found Glory's 'Failure's Not Flattering' and I'm not 100% why.

cwhit and theagentcoma like this.
  5. dotKev

@dotkevin

Still loving this. This is really the only place I'm seeing a lot of criticism for this album.

Lee Thomas and Night_Sky like this.
  6. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

well this is basically where all the cool kids hang out

dotKev likes this.
  7. Night_Sky

Regular

I had to...

MysteryKnight and theagentcoma like this.
  8. manoverboard365

Trusted

How can anyone not like Graffiti? It's becoming one of my favorite Chvrches songs.

9. OotyPa

fall away

I like parts of this album. It’s just a lot of it feels really phoned in. I’m hearing CHVRCHES but I’m not sure I’m hearing what made me love them in the first place. I don’t care if they made a less “dark” record; I love lots of poppy music. This just feels really stale, lacking passion.

Doomsday, sophos34 and theagentcoma like this.
  10. SteveLikesMusic

Same haha

Edit: whoops , I mean graves and heaven. Graffiti is amazing

11. SteveLikesMusic

They wrote 40 songs and spent most of a year in the studio...they didn’t phone it in

12. Doomsday

strange days are here to stay Prestigious

I don't know, they could have spent two years in the studio making 80 songs and you could still feel that they phoned it in if the quality just isn't there for you.

I don't think that's the case with this record, but I can understand why some people might. It's just not nearly as engaging as a record as their last two. I'm bad at describing music so I'll let other people really explain it better but something about these songs just... aren't there for me. I don't hate the album, I wouldn't really call it bad, but it's just so below how I feel about the first two right now it's making me feel sad or discouraged with it. Hopefully it grows on me more over the summer

13. azzy01

Regular

I feel like I'm in the minority here, but I think this is an improvement over EOE, not that it was a bad album, just felt iike it had a lot of filler tracks (with some of their best of course) . sonically this album does sound less experimental and more straightforward pop, but that's not a bad thing as I think these are some of their strongest tracks to date. Also lyrically this is hands down my favourite from them.

dotKev and SteveLikesMusic like this.
  14. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

I love this record. Graves is a banger. From the videos I’ve seen a lot of them will be even better live.

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  15. SteveLikesMusic

I’m messing around with alternate, tighter Tracklists this morning. I like this one:

1. Really Gone
    2. Graffiti
    3. Forever
    4. Deliverance
    5. Miracle
    6. Never Say Die
    7. God’s Plan
    8. Graves
    9. My Enemy
    10. ii / Wonderland

IMO Really Gone works as a direct continuation of EOE / Afterglow, both lyrically and instrumentally. Also works as a nice intro to the album.

16. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

how you gonna cut heaven/hell smh

17. SteveLikesMusic

My least favorite by a mile. I do like the verses, but the chorus feels really generic and empty.

18. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

the chorus wasn’t as big as I had hoped it was because I was so ready to be hype after the prechorus (seems like a theme on this record) but it’s still quite good

19. Darth76

The more i listen to this record the more i like it. I'm even starting to come around on Miracle. The "ask me no questions/i will tell you no lies" line is super catchy

20. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

That’s what I’m talking about!

21. Supernova May 27, 2018
    (Last edited: May 27, 2018)
    Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

I hadn’t listened to a song from this before it came out just to go in fresh. I also read a fair amount of lukewarm comments toward it on here which kinda had me worried. I’d like to say that those negative/lukewarm comments are very much misplaced IMO. Album is great and I can’t wait to spin it again.

22. j0nnymarrzbar

Regular

The second half of this album is significantly weaker than the first.

DeviantRogue likes this.
  23. manoverboard365

Trusted

Really Gone has grown on me a lot. I think I would've much preferred this being the closer and ii & God's Plan getting cut.

24. Night_Sky

Regular

'Really Gone' is very reminiscent of Yazoo's 'Only You', and that's what made it click for me. Although I disagree that it should've been the closer it would have ended the album on too much of a similar note as 'Afterglow' did on 'Every Open Eye'. Each three albums end on a different note and that's what I like about them, 'Wonderland' in many ways feels like a "victory lap"

25. SteveLikesMusic

Delicious:

Night_Sky likes this.