Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Christian Lee Hutson Announces New Album

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 12, 2022.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Christian Lee Hutson will release the new album, Quitters, on April 1st. Today he’s released a video for “Rubberneckers.”

Los Angeles’s Christian Lee Hutson has announced his sophomore album Quitters today. Produced by Phoebe Bridgers and Conor Oberst, Hutson pulls from a wide range of influences for his second record: the tight rhymes of John Prine, Bob Mehr’s book about the Replacements Trouble Boys, and Scott McClanahan’s auto-fiction The Sarah Book. It’s a recording that feels like a sonic expansion from Hutson’s debut. 

Hutson has also shared a video for the lead single “Rubberneckers” which features backing vocals from Bridgers. Directed by Zoe Donahoe and Adam Sputh, watch as Hutson plays to the camera then runs from it in resentment at the link below.
    Watch Video For “Rubberneckers” here: https://youtu.be/UJvDLO0NXe8

“I made the “Rubberneckers” video with my friends Zoe and Adam, who I worked with on the “Lose This Number” video,” Hutson explained. “The last time I danced was at the 8th grade social and it was mainly just swaying to “I Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing” but I wanted to showcase what a natural, gifted dancer I am.”

Across Quitters’ 13 tracks, Hutson crafts a portrait of the place he’s from. In these short story-like songs  he presents characters who carry this golden light and sinister geography inside them. It’s a place where everything in the end gets blown away and paved over with something new, where even the ocean and fires are always whispering, “One day we’ll take it all back.”

This is a Los Angeles in constant transition, where childhood is lost, where home is gone and can never be visited again. Yet Hutson’s world is also one of happy accidents, where doors are left open on purpose, hoping that someone new will walk through. In the end, what’s left are these songs created by some future spirit, written to comfort the person we are now.

Quitters is also a departure from the digital recording of his debut. Hutson stated, “When we made Beginners the aim was to make simple digital recordings of how I would play the songs in the room. With this record, Phoebe and Conor had an idea that it would be fun to make it to tape. Phoebe is my best friend and making Beginners with her was so comfortable and easy. So I wanted to work with her again.”

“I took a long time with Beginners,” Hutson added. “I had those songs for 10 years, but these songs came out a lot faster.” Because the songs from Quitters were written in a shorter time, “there was a little bit of insecurity with the lyrics. Having Conor there served the purpose of someone who I really respect as a lyricist and could soothe my anxiety.”
    more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

2. rbf737

Regular

Hell yeah. I became obsessed with his record late last year so this is great timing for me. I like the tweak on his sound in this new song, sounds great.

3. CAC3

Dog

Beginners is a classic in my book, can’t wait for this!

4. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Looks very promising, I like everything abut it so far! Love Christian's lyrics!

5. The_Pioneer

Regular

I really loved Northsiders when it was first released, but the album just didn’t catch me at all. I might check this one out though. His guitar playing just so nuanced and interesting.

6. Toner

A Welshy in London Supporter

Love the music video and vibe of the song. I think I checked out Beginners a few years back when I saw it on a few staff lists, but I think Ruston Kelly grabbed me a bit more for that end of year folksy fix so I never went back to it.

Will eagerly follow this release cycle though. This is a quality song.

7. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

It's not going to be full 2 years between Beginners and Quitters, which is impressive and actually feels even shorter. The debut was on my AOTY list and I listened to it a lot! Can't wait to hear more.

8. rbf737

Regular

Especially when I've seen live videos of him doing some of the songs from Beginners from like 8 years ago, albeit with a much thicker country/twangy accent that he's since phased out. Ha I was wondering if it was going to be awhile until the next record with that in mind.

Bartek T. likes this.
  9. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

oh yes, exactly! Though even just from his lyrics on those early songs it's possible to tell that he was stuck in different "band scenarios" etc., now it seems he's going full force and has surrounded himself with just the right people.