Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chris Stapleton - Starting Over (Nov 13, 2020) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Matt Chylak, Aug 25, 2020.

1. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

Midnight Train to Memphis definitely has big "FX Promo For Justified Season Three" energy

Matt Chylak, shea and Craig Manning like this.
  2. phaynes12

that's really the highest of compliments

3. Gianni

Trusted

Just from a GLANCE over the playlist.... this looks fantastic, and I will absolutely be listening to it. Love the inclusion of some rock / indie bands that dabble in country/country-adjacent styles, I feel like Spotify algorithm driven playlists ALWAYS look past shit like that.

Great work, I'm looking forward to listening and hopefully discovering some new faves!

Craig Manning likes this.
  4. Gianni

Trusted

Sorry lol... agree to disagree. I've read two of Hyden's books and I generally like the guy and respect his knowledge, but he's totally snarky!

Ever hear his podcast with Ian Cohen? Hyden scoffs at and just sorta "mehs" most of the bands that this community obsesses over! Best example I can think of is The Hotelier.

5. Gianni

Trusted

I don't have the transcript or even recall what Hyden put in his respective list, but they were doing a Top 10 albums of the '10s, and Cohen had both Goodness and Home Like NoPlace is There on his list ... and Hyden just goes something like "two albums from The Hotelier in your top 10, eh? Wow. Okay." lol

6. Gianni

Trusted

Anyway this Stapleton record fucking rules and is almost automatically in my Top 10 of the year.

7. phaynes12

this ... isn't really true. he has been fawning over Wild Pink, for example, for years. But alright.

8. Gianni

Trusted

All good - not trying to start a feud.

9. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I hope you enjoy it!

I totally get why that kind of stuff doesn't seem to show up on playlists, but seeing as it was country-leaning country bands that kind of got me into this genre in the first place (The Wallflowers and Counting Crows early on, Augustana and Dawes later), I do wish that fringe side of country music was more discussed.

10. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

This is his most complete album. Really impressed

11. cshadows2887

I was honestly this way for a long time. Eventually you acclimate

12. Craig Manning

Yeah, same. Now, I feel like I'm the opposite: sometimes I don't even realize how "country" something sounds until someone in my life who doesn't listen to that music much points it out to me.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  13. cshadows2887

I was also the same about the sound too. Hard country with the two-step or lots of pedal steel just sounded like wallpaper to me at first. You have to learn to speak the language before you can read the literature.

14. Craig Manning

Never thought about it that way, but beautifully put!

15. cshadows2887

I described getting into jazz that way when trying to pitch Bobby on getting into it, and decided I like the metaphor. Haha

It’s been that way with every genre too. Most soul singers sounded the same to me in high school...and then I spent time with them.

I’m glad these crossover artists have been gateways for a lot of people here to dig into country, myself included.

16. jdr2187

jdr2187

Kinda off topic, but I think people should check out this new Ward Davis album. I think it’s a good one for anybody who enjoyed this Stapleton album and is looking for something in the same vein.

17. abw123

Trusted

Maggie’s Song.......jesus christ, man.

Breaking Good and JRGComedy like this.
  18. abw123

Trusted

Does anyone know where to get a copy of his song "Burden"? It plays over the credits of the recent movie of the same title and it's good. Cannot find it anywhere to purchase.

19. abw123

Trusted

Looking for a few rare tracks, does anyone have mp3 of "Amanda" or "I'm a Ram" that they can share? Thanks in advance.

20. shea

RIP Supporter

21. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

beachdude and Gianni like this.
  22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

JBoch, Craig Manning and JRGComedy like this.
  23. Craig Manning

Gotta court the country audience somehow, and it’s pretty clear they don’t want to do it with the halftime show.

24. mike1885

Trusted Supporter

25. Craig Manning

Love that song. Reminds me a little bit of "Parachute," which isn't a sound he's explored a whole lot.