Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chris Stapleton - Starting Over (Nov 13, 2020) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Matt Chylak, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

“Nashville, TN” is definitely his best closer, IMO.

DaydreamNation and Matt Chylak like this.
  2. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

It's his only real closer IMO. All the others could easily have been rejiggered into the tracklist.

Craig Manning likes this.
  3. Craig Manning

Definitely the From A Room closers. I've always liked "Sometimes I Cry" closing out Traveller, though the fact that it's a live take puts a natural kind of asterisk next to it.

Matt Chylak likes this.
  4. Craig Manning

5. Dog Fish

Mutt

If I hate country, but have Shape & Destroy as one of my top 3 for the year, will I like this?

6. Gianni

Trusted

There's Hyden again.... being the snarky prick that no one asked for.

7. Matt Chylak

You might dig a couple songs. If you do enjoy most of it, it’s a sign that you might want to learn to like more country.

8. Matt Chylak

9. Craig Manning

I've started doing this thing I'm calling "Double Features" with a new album I like and an album in my collection it reminds me of. I put Starting Over in a playlist with Wildflowers and tried to pair the songs in as complementary a way as I could think of. "Wildflowers" and "Starting Over" paired really well.

10. Dog Fish

Mutt

I don't know what kind of country I like. It's mostly the alt stuff. There's definitely a line drawn somewhere in the sand. Love Ruston, love Noah Gundersen, love joshua james, love band of annuals...but I can't really roll with Jason Isbell or Kasey Musgraves. It's like...too poppy or twangy? I don't know.

11. Maybe you just like some artists and not others! Ruston's music is plenty poppy and twangy imo haha

12. abw123

Trusted

I love Stapleton, and thisis backed by a few of the Heartbreakers, so I'm sure it will be terrific. Having said that, if it has a song better than Either Way I will be surprised because that song is a monster

13. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

except it isn’t that snarky and except he’s correct lol

DaydreamNation likes this.
  14. Craig Manning

I find for a lot of people who are kind of just on the edge of enjoying country, it’s all about the voice. Some voices just sound “too country” for a lot of folks.

FTank, Dog Fish and cshadows2887 like this.
  15. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

This for me for sure. Stapleton and Musgraves manage to eschew a lot of the hillbilly twang or inauthentic rap country sounds I'm not looking for.

16. abw123

Trusted

I'm probably in this boat - I like only VERY SPECIFIC country acts, and they are all probably rock leaning and/or have rock voices - Stapleton, Isbell in particular I love, I like Darius Rucker, some Sturgill.......but I don't like what is typically on Country radio AT ALL, it sounds like bad country versions of Britney Spears or Nickelback type music, poorly written, cheesy, over-produced garbage.

17. abw123

Trusted

And also - Stapleton has basically the best voice out there in my book, regardless of genre

18. zmtr

Trusted

Big agree with this.

Really enjoying this so far though but Cold is the major standout. On Maggie's Song right now and it's killing me. So good.

19. shea

RIP Supporter

I liked a few Isbell songs here or there before but Reunions is the first whole album of his I truly really love.

I’ve had some trouble branching out from the whole Isbell/Sturgill/Childers/Stapleton circles as far as getting my feet wet with country. Grew up only ever hearing the (mostly) garbage on the radio my friends listened to and took a hard “I hate it all” stance when I was young..which was obviously stupid lol.

Reading the country thread on here has been pretty valuable for getting into some actual good shit.

20. zmtr

Trusted

Ok Whiskey Sunrise riiiips

21. Craig Manning

Neither of them really have "typical" country voices, so that makes sense. Same with Isbell, Katie Pruitt, Donovan Woods, etc. Most of the ones people around here seem to like!

I know a lot of people feel this way, which is why I'll be choosy with the country I put on playlists if I'm going to be listening to something with friends or family. Isbell's an easy sell. Someone a little closer to that radio vein, like Dierks Bentley or Eric Church, might be tougher.

My favorite part of the album is definitely in "Cold" when the band drops out and it's just him yelling "WHY YOU GOTTA BE SO..." and then we get the guitar solo.

zmtr and JRGComedy like this.
  22. Craig Manning

Also, sharing this again for the thread. It's a playlist I made right at the beginning of the pandemic, spanning 200 different country or country-adjacent artists that I love, mostly from the past 10 years or so. All sorts of different voices and different types of country, from very mainstream to very not.

What IS Country Music?, a playlist by Craig Manning on Spotify

shea and zmtr like this.
  23. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I really only like Stapleton and Musgraves because of this website. I really like Starfire by Caitlyn Smith too because of Craig

24. Craig Manning

Caitlyn Smith is another one with a not-very-country voice that seems to appeal to a lot of non-country fans!

JRGComedy likes this.
  25. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

haven't heard this one yet but I feel like Chris Stapleton is pretty accessible for non country fans