Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chris Stapleton - Starting Over (Nov 13, 2020) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Matt Chylak, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

This is really fucking good, though. Like, I can see it becoming my favorite album of his. Feels more substantial and less demo-y than From A Room, and more consistent and well-rounded than Traveller.

Also, it might just be that I’ve been listening to Wildflowers a lot lately, but this album reminds me a little bit of Wildflowers.

2. DyingGaslight

DyingUnderGaslight

3. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Woo! Great to hear. Only three days now.

4. Craig Manning

This is out there.

beachdude and AlwaysEvolving21 like this.
  5. shea

RIP Supporter

As someone who had to put their dog down in February and has a very close family friend about to have to do the same with their beloved dog, fuck you, Maggie’s Song..lol.

beachdude and Craig Manning like this.
  6. Craig Manning

That one is a tough listen, haha

shea likes this.
  7. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Those of you who have heard this, what’s the song from that first teaser video? I’m gonna check out the whole thing later, but that’s the one I was most excited for.

8. Craig Manning

“Watch You Burn.” It’s about the Vegas shooting.

beachdude likes this.
  9. shea

RIP Supporter

Was waiting for that one the whole time. Didn’t disappoint.

This is pretty immediately my favorite whole album from him. Love the singles from Traveller but I could never get into the whole thing which I understand may be sacrilege haha.

beachdude likes this.
  10. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Thanks. Oh man, that’s heavy subject matter but fitting for the sound.

Are there other tracks with a similar sound instrumentally, or is that one more of a one-off?

11. Craig Manning

It's the only song really like that; huge gospel choir section, which isn't on any of the other tracks. But it's not a huge outlier, either. There are some other similar sludgy southern rock tracks on here. I'd say "Cold" is more of a one-off (and also the sound I wish there was a little more of on this record).

beachdude likes this.
  12. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Ah shit, Maggie's Song got me

shea likes this.
  13. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Stoked to listen. I like the songs released so far.

14. btr

Trusted Supporter

Country is one of my least frequented genres, but there is something about Chris Stapleton that is so genuine that makes him stand out from the rest

15. jdr2187

jdr2187

There’s two Guy Clark covers on here?! Even more excited to hear this now.

DaydreamNation and Craig Manning like this.
  16. Craig Manning

If you’re ever looking for recommendations of other country artists that are in a similar vein, stop by the country thread!

Back to back!

btr and jdr2187 like this.
  17. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Yup, so after listening to this twice today I have two things to say.

1.) Instant album of the year for me, which is nucking futs because it's country! I was drawn in immediately and never wanted to leave. First time that's really happened all year to me.

2.) After completing my first listen I immediately thought to myself, "Mother of God, this is his Continuum. This MFer did it."

You Should Probably Leave :heart:

Craig Manning likes this.
  18. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

He just doesn't know how to miss. So damn good.

19. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

digging this more as a whole than albums in the past. no huge standout yet though, im on Worry B Gone

20. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

beachdude likes this.
  21. Maggie’s Song is so great, but I always expect the chorus to be “TAKE A LOAD OFF FANNY” lol

22. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

DaydreamNation likes this.
  23. Gave this a listen. Feel pretty much exactly the same about this as I do about his previous releases: it's all pretty decent, dude has some pipes, nothing really blew me away but I'll probably throw it on occasionally. And the record sounds really, really great of course. Dug the Guy covers.

Happy Stapleton exists in the music world and is doing as well as he does but his stuff never really sticks with me as much as with others.

edit: should also add though that I think I did enjoy this a bit more than his previous records. but not really groundbreaking for me.

24. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Definitely feels like Traveller 2.0 but as a body of work, these songs also give off a more personal sentiment than anything he’s done before. More a fan of the stripped singer songwritery songs like the title track and the closer, but I’ll definitely be coming back to this for at least the rest of the year.

25. abw123

Trusted

I heard a bit of a new Stapleton song in a RAM commercial the other day, does anyone know if that song is on the new album or not?