Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chris Stapleton - Starting Over (Nov 13, 2020) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Matt Chylak, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

The highly anticipated new album from country megastar Chris Stapleton. This promo video is wild... is he making his SOUND & FURY?

First single out Thursday and it sounds like a down-the-middle folk country song from the opening 20 seconds.

2. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

the clip rules. serious QOTSA vibes.

3. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

Unpopular opinion: I hope it's a lot better than Sound & Fury

jdr2187 likes this.
  4. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

gtfo

Micah511, mike1885 and StreetSpirit like this.
  5. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Looking forward to this. ‘Fire Away’ will forever be one of my all time favorite country songs.

6. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Going to be great!

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  7. Craig Manning

zmtr, beachdude and AlwaysEvolving21 like this.
  8. Craig Manning

This song is really cool. Feels like he's almost going for a Bond theme kind of feel. Love the strings on it.

9. Matt Chylak

Yeah, he's not getting much press yet but both of these songs are great.

Craig Manning likes this.
  10. Craig Manning

Do you get the sense that some of the buzz around him has died down a bit? He was so white-hot coming off of Traveller, and I don't get the sense that there's anywhere near is much anticipation around this album as there was for From A Room.

11. Matt Chylak

I think a lot of it is on purpose. From A Room was super confusing rollout from the title and split release with similar covers on down (even though "Broken Halos" and "Millionaire" both did well) and to me it felt like an intentional way to go "It's cool guys, I really don't need to be a superstar".

He's doing it again here. Just look at the cover art and aesthetic... there's no way his label wanted that.

12. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I like both songs released. Pretty excited for the album. I didn’t get into the last release.

13. I'm just now starting to get over the fact that the song Chris wrote with John Mayer isn't going to be on this... But shiiiiiit we need a studio recording of this song one day!

14. Craig Manning

Good points. From A Room, while I love it, definitely felt like a consciously "small" record, even as what was ultimately a double LP. Very sparse recordings; no big features; all songs from his personal archive or covers, rather than things he'd written more recently. I do think this new one will probably be a bit more ambitious, though.

15. Craig Manning

Probably more likely for an eventual JM album, but agreed: I want it!

bradsonemanband likes this.
  16. Matt Chylak

I've loved both songs so far! Both great fall vibes.

17. Craig Manning

Yeah, I'm really loving both of them. A lot of artists have had great pre-release singles game this year. Dawes and Donovan Woods have really been building my anticipation that way, too.

18. Craig Manning

This album is shaping up!

19. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Super excited about this!

20. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Man, those guitar tones in the new song are so creamy. I love it. Definitely my favorite new song from Chris so far.

21. Craig Manning

I think “Cold” is my favorite of the three so far, but they’re all great.

22. shea

RIP Supporter

Dig this one. Still can’t wait to hear the “devil worshipping” one from that Twitter tease lol.

23. jdr2187

jdr2187

Just realized this comes out this week. The comment about the buzz for him dying down was spot on.

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  24. Craig Manning

The really fascinating thing is that Traveller is still a huge seller. It’s the number five country album on the Billboard chart from last week. Will be interesting to see how this album does in its first week.

25. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I'm excited for it! But I do feel bad for him how under the radar it seems to be. But judging by the cover art, maybe that's the point?