Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chris Stapleton - From A Room: Volumes 1 and 2 (2017) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Craig Manning, Apr 6, 2017.

1. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Digging the new tracks, but I can't help but feel that they are a little conservative. I would love to hear Chris's voice in a more soul/gospel vibe with some massive production

2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Definitely not getting massive production as long as he's working with Dave Cobb.

JRGComedy likes this.
  3. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Still love Dave though

4. Craig Manning

I do too. And I don't think a massive production album is what Stapleton wants to do or should do. What's special about him is how incredible his voice sounds even with none of the usual bells and whistles. I'm not opposed to him getting a little more experimental with whatever he does next, but I like the traditional approach.

Also worth noting that all of these songs were "from the vault," so to speak. He hasn't written much since Traveller, so we're not really seeing the next iteration of Chris Stapleton yet.

ChaseTx and JRGComedy like this.
  5. Craig Manning

Saw him last night. He's so good live, and his voice is just one of the best things I've ever heard. But man oh man do I wish I'd gotten a chance to see him live before he became the biggest thing in country music. People screaming during the ballads, talking over the new songs, and just generally being awful. I don't think he quite paced the setlist right, so maybe that's why people were being so restless, but it was just not a good crowd.

Brent Cobb opening was clutch, though. That guy has a lot of potential.

JRGComedy and ChaseTx like this.
  6. Craig Manning

Can confirm that Volume 2 rips.

JRGComedy likes this.
  7. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

Cool. Does it have a ripper like Second One to Know? A song as emotional as Either Way?

8. Craig Manning

I'd say it rocks a little more, on first listen. "Midnight Train to Memphis" and "Hard Livin'" are in the vein of "Second One to Know." Nothing as devastating as "Either Way," but "A Simple Song" is pretty poignant in a different way.

Micah511 likes this.
  9. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Vol 1 didn't stick much for me, but I'm ready. Scarecrow is good

Micah511 likes this.
  10. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Oh yeah except Up To No Good Livin, that song is a jam

11. Micah511

I didn't like how Vol 1 started and ended, but tracks 3-7 are all pretty cool.

12. Craig Manning

Really? I love "Broken Halos" and "Death Row."

There seems to be more storytelling on this record, which I like.

Micah511 likes this.
  13. Micah511

Yeah, just a personal preference. I like Death Row more than Broken Halos. I feel like BH is just standard by the numbers Stapleton. It's fine, but that's all it is for me.

14. abw123

Trusted

Broken Halos is great and Either Way is one of my favorite songs of the year for sure. Those are my 2 favorites off that album.

Dave Diddy and Micah511 like this.
  15. Craig Manning

I feel like "Broken Halos" could have benefitted from a punched up recording. Maybe some harmonies or a guitar solo. It sounds a little like a demo.

Micah511 likes this.
  16. Craig Manning

Volume 1 won Album of the Year at the CMAs.

zmtr likes this.
  17. radiodead

Trusted

Meanwhile Sturgill Simpson is outside the CMA’s doing the good work.

Micah511 and zmtr like this.
  18. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Interesting. While I liked Volume 1 it didn’t really stick in my rotation. There’s definitely other country albums I like more this year, although none of them are probably mainstream enough to even be considered for the award, outside of Isbell I guess.

ChaseTx likes this.
  19. Craig Manning

It's been pretty constantly in the rotation for me, though I don't think it's as good as Traveller, and probably not as good as Volume 2 either. But it's been a consistent seller and they obviously love him.

I'm still surprised he won, though. It's not a flashy album at all. Very workmanlike and restrained in songwriting and approach. I think the songs are great, but I figured they'd want something a little "bigger" to give AOTY to. I expected Miranda Lambert to win. Isbell would have been my pick, but that wasn't happening.

20. Craig Manning

JRGComedy likes this.
  21. abw123

Trusted

Pretty much had same reaction to Craig..........slightly better than Vol 1 overall, nothing as good as Either Way or Broken Halos, but really good.

I find myself liking his little acoustic songs more than the full on barnburners.

22. Micah511

A Simple Song and Either Way are easily my favorite "acoustic" songs of his.

23. Craig Manning

“Scarecrow in the Garden” is my favorite track on here. I’d love more of that Isbell kind of writing from him.

Review coming later today, probably.

Micah511 likes this.
  24. Craig Manning

zmtr and ChaseTx like this.
  25. Micah511

I don't know how much crossover there is here, but the guitars in A Simple Song remind me a lot of Iron Fist by Coheed & Cambria.