Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chris Carrabba Reckons with the Legacy of Emo

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Chris Carrabba of Dashboard Confessional sat down with GQ:

When I’m writing, I have to allow that to be the most important thing that I could possibly be doing. That’s what happens with a lot of people when they make more and more records. There’s more important stuff that comes around. Responsibility creeps in, and it’s necessary and wonderful. But I think you have to make an agreement with yourself: When a song begins to feel like a real thing, you’re just going to have to let that be the moment you’re going to be in. And not be distracted and be selfish. Not meet your friend like you said you were going to. Or finish your bills. Or route your tour. Or whatever else your responsibilities are.

2. MacbethSin

Regular

I feel like every quote from this guy over the past year has been some kind of obvious "no duh" observation

3. duritzfan13

all we have is time

"No duh" to who though? Avid music fans who read a lot of music interviews? The average reader of GQ probably isn't necessarily well versed in a songwriter's process..

Also, the rest of the interview was actually pretty good

Jared Luttrell and TJ Wells like this.
  4. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I hadn't really thought through the fact that's Tori Amos and Fiona Apple would have fit right into this scene had they not (deservedly) gotten way, way bigger than anyone back then. That was actually a pretty insightful comment, I thought. Also, since he brings them up all the time, I feel like Phoebe Bridgers and Julien Baker are a better version of everything Dashboard has ever done really well (and I'm a big Dashboard fan - they're just on a whole other level from everyone else).

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  5. Honeymagnolia

Regular Supporter

Great interview. He always bigs up other artists which is great.

Jared Luttrell and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  6. MacbethSin

Regular

"When I'm writing I really try to focus on writing, and NOT on things that aren't writing."

What's that have to do with being well-versed in songwriting? Any given sixth grader struggling to finish a book report has come to the same conclusion.

But I really don't mind the interview. He's fine. Just find myself having this "no duh" reaction repeatedly with him lately.

7. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Long live the king

Jared Luttrell and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  8. duritzfan13

all we have is time

I mean.. that’s not a direct quote, and I know a lot of writers who are the opposite and feel they could just pick up where they left off later. All Chris is saying is that he’s a guy who has to stay in the moment and finish things in one sitting. Jack Antonoff mentions that a lot in interviews too— the burden on other people of him having to cancel plans just to stay with a song while he’s writing it. It’s not that way for everyone though... all the interviewer asked was about his process, and that’s his

Jared Luttrell likes this.