Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chorus.fm Mixtape exchange thread • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by George, Apr 1, 2016.

1. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

@secretsociety92 I'm listening right now! so much great 80's stadium rock perf for this day I'll post more once I listen to it all

my mixtape is really silly so feel free to judge me

2. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

I will listen to yours tomorrow and I will be fair in my judgment. Hope you enjoy mine.

3. mad

I was right. Prestigious

Listened to @figureitout and @nfarreller 's mixes, y'all have good taste. I'm really liking all the ones I've listened to so far.

figureitout likes this.
  4. angel paste

what do you think of mine :embarrassed:?

5. mad

I was right. Prestigious

I thought it was really cool! Great flow, and I liked the incorporation of movie/tv dialogue. Very creative.

6. siim

qt

Thanks, man. I thought a lot about non-english songs, because I know that some people need to understand the lyrics to enjoy the music, but I'm glad that I included them. All these nice words are making me want to make a new one as soon as possible! By the way, it's "siim", not "slim", but don't worry, it's super common that non-estonian people start an e-mail with "hey, slim". It's always funny. Always! Don't know what's up with that though? Weird to see two "i"'s in a row?

7. mad

I was right. Prestigious

I think it's because the i kinda looks like an l and my brain has seen slim before but not siim? Maybe.

8. siim

qt

Probably. Anyway, Siim is basically Estonian for Simon.

9. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

@nfarreller
    dumb question but
    did you put all the interludes in yourself or were they just part of the songs you picked? i really liked that

10. angel paste

I put them in myself!

11. siim

qt

@mad nice one. Liked the variety. Got off to a good start, Morning Bender's track was surpisingly good psychedelic pop that sounded bit like a tune from the late 60's. Favorite song was probably by Theophilus London. I've heard of him before, but that was first time listening to him. Awesome. Gonna check more stuff from him. What else? Hannah Georgas, Wild Belle, Shad and Dog Day caught my ear. Had a hard time to get through Interpol's song, I only like their first album. It felt like the mixtape had kind of melancholic, but at the same time optimistic feel. Enjoyed that.

mad likes this.
  12. secretsociety92

@nfarreller So yeah... That was an experience to say the least. A few decent songs (Glass Animals, Natural Child and Sammy Lawerence) but honestly not something I overall will return too not because I hated what I heard just not what floats my boat as it were.

13. figureitout

Regular

Glad you enjoyed it! I can definitely see how some of these songs may come off as sounding more autumnal or even summer-y to different people, but I'm happy the springtime vibe came through for you overall. My focus usually tends to fall more on the lyrical content rather than the actual sound of the music, so for the most part anything fitting lyrical themes of renewal, rejuvenation, rebirth, a "sunnier disposition", etc. could cross my mind for a Spring Mix.

Anyway, thanks for listening! I hope you do get a chance to check out more from Kay Hanley and Metric and any of the other artists you enjoyed. I'd be happy to recommend additional songs/albums if you're ever interested. I've played your mix a couple times now and there are a few songs I'm really starting to love. Will type up some thoughts on it soon.

14. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Awesome, looking forward to reading your thoughts!

15. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

I may have to get in on this. Is there a length/amount of track limit/quota/guideline? It might take me a little while to compile one with the vast quantity of music I have on my computer hahaha

16. bedwettingcosmo

i think it was an hour but i def went over. whoops

17. secretsociety92

No one bothering with this anymore?

18. bedwettingcosmo

:(

19. George

Trusted Prestigious

Been super busy, only managed to listen to two. Will make sure I listen to more eventually though!

20. figureitout

Regular

Yeah, I plan to listen to all of these. Just haven't found the time yet.

21. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I'm gonna listen to more when I get phone issues fixed

22. siim

qt

@nfarreller Woah! That was cool, nice interludes (loved the Bojack Horseman part!) and flows well though has a bunch of different genres. It reminded me to listen to more Cibo Matto! Favorite tracks: Cibo Matto, Glass Animal, Sammy Lawrence and SWMRS (sounded a bit like Weezer!). I couldn't find anything about the ninth track (Guilt III) on the web. What was that? Really neat track. Thanks for the mixtape!

23. angel paste

thanks for listening dude! they're a localish band called Bueno they're pretty, cool the lyrics in that song are great.

24. i definitely dropped the ball on this. i made a playlist of songs to put on my mixtape, but i never got the chance to put the order together, cut it down to make it right amount of time, etc. sorryyyyyyyy!

next time, i will make it happen.

25. figureitout Apr 27, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 27, 2016)
    figureitout

Regular

Alright, I've listened to @Craig Manning's mix a few times now...

This was a really great selection of songs. There were only a few artists I already knew about, and all of the songs were new to me. Despite the fact that I don't think of myself as a huge fan of Country music, I did genuinely enjoy the theme and how seamlessly all of the songs fit together. You also did a great job of keeping it varied and cohesive, simultaneously.

As you mentioned, the vibe was maybe a bit more summer-y than mine, which was nice, and I found myself warming up to the majority of the songs by my second listen. I guess you could say I remain a little cold on some of the tracks toward the middle, though. (Summer Without Her, Sympathy, and Something to Believe In all feel like the kind of Country I don't really care for or relate to, though I certainly wouldn't consider any of them bad songs; I still found them pleasant enough, in the context you created.)

The Springsteen and Brandon Flowers tracks were instant loves for me; excellent way to kick things off. Aside from a few stray songs I know really well and love (Born to Run, The Promised Land, Atlantic City, Thunder Road), I haven't listened to much Springsteen. I'm long overdue to dig deeper into his material. As for Brandon Flowers, I never really felt motivated to check out The Desired Effect after finding his solo debut to be utterly boring a few years back. Perhaps it's time I check it out and give Flamingo another shot as well.

My other favorites included the Kacey Musgraves, Jason Isbell, Betty Who, and Maddie & Tae tracks. I'd be interested in checking out more from all of them.

Thanks for the new music!

Craig Manning likes this.