Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chorus.fm Member Compilations - HALLOWEEN COMPILATION (Out now!) • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bradsonemanband, Mar 30, 2016.

1. 1. Harveyn590 - Attractive Today
    I really enjoy this cover. I like the playfulness you put into it. It sounds like it would be so fun to perform this version in a bar setting or something, with everyone singing along. That's what I imagine when I hear it.
    2. simplejack - Broken Heart
    I'm jealous of your voice, haha. Great cover all around!
    3. MrBenjaminQLee - Floating Down the River
    If I remember right, you're the one who did a "blind cover" right? If so, you did an awesome job. You literally made it your own, and it's really cool. I like the moodiness of it.
    4. bradsonemanband (Cootie Catcher) - L.G. Fuad
    Since this is my own contribution, I'll just tell you about it... Originally, I wrote completely different music to this. It was a lot more ambient sounding, and I thought it would be cool. The further I got into the process though, the less I liked what I was doing. So I scrapped everything and re-wrote and recorded the bulk of the song 3 days ago. I'm much happier with how it came out now. I was going for kind of a sad/moody tone to help match the lyrics. I hope you guys like it!
    5. Things So Impossible - I Can Feel You
    I always enjoy upbeat acoustic tracks like this. Reminds me of the early Dashboard Confessional stuff I fell in love when I was first getting into playing guitar. This is an awesome cover. Cool getting new blood on this comp too! I hope we hear more from you again.
    6. thetruthisvile (Sarah and the Safe Word) - Capital H
    I can't say enough good stuff about this one. I just love everything about it. It's one of my favorite MCS tracks and this cover does it justice. I hope we get more from you in the future too!
    7. 2stepwithsteve - Everything is Alright
    One of my favorite MCS tracks. This cover is fun as hell! The recording is pretty lo-fi, and I feel like that adds even more charm to the song. I dig it!
    8. dongusbologna - Everyone Will Die
    This is a pretty one! I love the music in it. It makes the song sound so sad. In the best way!
    9. JoshShulkin (JSME) - Last Night
    I love when people add their own "ness" to cover songs. This is a great example of it. It still sounds enough like the original to recognize it and sing along, but it's got YOU all over it.
    10. phillyfradet (Jean-Luc and the Same-Old) - Modern Chemistry
    This another one like the first track on here where I can picture it being sung in a bar with a bunch of drunk dudes singing along. Good cover!
    11. nothingsforeverdude (sailboat thief) - Worker Bee (rough)
    Joan kills it, once again. Everything you do is gold and this is no exception. Rough or not, you've nailed your sound.
    12. DashboardProfessional (Jared Knapik) - A Lifeless Ordinary (Need A Little Help)
    Your voice actually sounds reminiscent to ol' Justin Pierre's. I dig this a lot. Sounds like MCS playing this song acoustic.
    13. CoffeeEyes17 - Together We'll Ring In The New Year
    I can tell you put a lot of emotion into this one. I like how the guitar isn't exactly what they play, but it sounds like your hands are just doing what your voice and the words are wanting them to do in order to match that emotion. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but I like it. Good job man!
    14. MikeYabs (Bedtime Stories and JKB3) - The Conversation
    Very interesting take, for sure. It's very unique. I don't think anyone's done a spoken word cover on any of these compilations yet, so good job on being the first to conquer it! I dig it. The piano is great as well.
    15. trevorshmevor - When You're Around
    This is rad! One of my favorites on the comp. I like how it stays true to the original, but on steroids. Rad version of the song!
    16. elemenohpe - Her Words Destroyed My Planet
    I really like hearing people put their own twist on covers. This one is great! I really like the background sounds and stuff going on. It almost feels like I'm listening to you cover it from outside of a club or something, talking to a girl in the hall or something. Maybe that sounds dumb, but I like it, haha.
    17. nohandstoholdonto - Modern Chemistry (bonus track)
    It's kinda cool having two different versions of the same song on here. It showcases that everyone has a different interpretation of every song. I've actually toyed with the idea of picking one particular song and having everyone cover it however they want. I think it would make for a really cool compilation someday. Anyway, your version is fantastic! The music sounds great and I really like the vocals. It's a great cover.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  2. elemenohpe

Irregular Prestigious

Your cover was awesome. Probably my favorite. I'll post my thoughts on everyone's when I get home from work.

Kind of bummed no one came through with My Favorite Accident. I had a great acoustic version arranged but saw it was claimed.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  3. I knowwww! I was bummed no one sent over "My Favorite Accident" or "The Future Freaks Me Out." I almost did a quick cover of one of those just to have them on there, haha.

In other news:
    I sent the Bandcamp link to all of the MCS guys on Twitter. Maybe they'll check it out!

Things So Impossible likes this.
  4. dongusbologna

I used to be PIG DESTROYER

Maybe we can strongly encourage a policy of updating everyone within a week of the due date if you aren't going to have yours done? I feel like barring any huge issues, most people will be able to tell if theirs will be done on the due date from a week out, and they won't stop someone else from having the ability to cover the song they didn't cover.

People have been very good about announcing if they are switching their song. We just now need to get everyone on board with being realistic about if they'll finish so people have the option of taking an abandoned song from the person who abandoned it.

And maybe if a specific user abandons more than 1 without notifying the group, they aren't allowed to participate in future comps?

5. JoshShulkin

Regular Supporter

About to listen right now! I'm really excited I finally decided to join in on one of these compilations.
    I'll probably post something about my thoughts on everyone's cover later tonight or tomorrow

6. recall reality Apr 11, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 11, 2016)
    recall reality

"But existing is basically all I do!" Prestigious

Everyone did an excellent job on these. I'm really excited to see a band comp with a lot of participation again, these are always my favorites. I should participate in another

7. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Yes, it was totally blind. Haha thank you!

8. if you're a Weezer fan, check back here later this week.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  9. simplejack

I wish I could say something but silence is fine.

Thank you very much! I really enjoyed doing it. BH is one my favourite MCS songs.

10. bobsheiskawy

is it the same for you? Prestigious

i'm bummed i missed out on this one (both of the songs i would've done got covered anyhow, so at least that's good), but i'm excited to listen and i love that you linked to each song's page in this post. thanks for putting in that work.

11. jean-luc davis

Shut the FFFFFFRESHFISH UP

Thank you. That's pretty much how I end up doing most of my acoustic covers, they're how I would play them if I was hanging out with friends at someone's house, and this is probably exactly how I've played this song with my friends haha.

12. trevorshmevor Apr 11, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 13, 2016)
    1. Harveyn590 - Attractive Today
    Nickey done! Totally agree with Brad about the vision of this as a singalong of sorts. Really like your take on the solo in the bridge! Did you use a 12 string guitar for it, by chance? I might be crazy, but I'm hearing octave notes there. Great way to kick off the comp!

2. simplejack - Broken Heart
    One of my favorites from EIIKM, and you more than did it justice! You've got a really great voice, definitely fits the song.

3. MrBenjaminQLee - Floating Down the River
    I'm only familiar with MCS through the first three records, so you're not the only one who hadn't heard this song before! That said, I love the idea that you went into this entirely blind. You made an enjoyable song appear from thin air!

4. bradsonemanband (Cootie Catcher) - L.G. Fuad
    Dude, I don't know how you put together the things you do in such short periods of time and still manage to make them really good. Really pretty rendition of this classic song! You breathed a new type of life into it and it works well. Was not expecting that bridge at all.

5. Things So Impossible - I Can Feel You
    Wow! So much fun! Definitely agree with Brad on the Dashboard comparison. You've got a really distinguishable voice, I mean that in the best way possible! The dualing vocals and the low harmonies in the chorus are my favorite parts. What type of mic did you use for your guitar? Sounds super clear!

6. thetruthisvile (Sarah and the Safe Word) - Capital H
    Love this so much! Your voice is wonderful, reminds me a lot of the mid-2000's emo-pop I loved like The Audition or JamisonParker. The instrumentation is just as great, for some reason I get a really throwback 90's alt vibe. Very well recorded drums too, love the laid back feel. Looking forward to hearing more from you. Any original material out there?

7. 2stepwithsteve - Everything is Alright
    Love the minimal, low-fi vibe. Took a classic and had some fun recreating the magic! Nicely done.

8. dongusbologna - Everyone Will Die
    Another MCS song I'm not familiar with, but wow, I don't even know if I care to hear the original after this. Love everything about this cover. Very well recorded, love the harmonies, and the instrumentation is beautiful. I'm a sucker for bells (especially sleigh bells). This is one I see myself revisiting multiple times.

9. JoshShulkin (JSME) - Last Night
    Another gorgeous cover. Love the plinking electronic bells, and really interesting guitar work right before the full band portion kicks in to finish off the track with a bang. That whole parts reminds vaguely of the opener on Hellogoodbye's Would It Kill You?

10. phillyfradet (Jean-Luc and the Same-Old) - Modern Chemistry
    Such a cool swagger to this song! Major Bayside vibes. Love the short and sweet simplicity!

11. nothingsforeverdude (sailboat thief) - Worker Bee (rough)
    Always love to hear your stuff. Your voice makes me, like... feel things. Haha. The intimate vibe your material always has is undeniably charming. Not familiar with this MCS song, really interested to see how the original compares.

12. DashboardProfessional (Jared Knapik) - A Lifeless Ordinary (Need A Little Help)
    Damn man, very fun track. Similar vibes to track 5 on the comp. Really well placed and strong harmonies! Yet another MCS I don't know, but this song was stuck in my head after the first listen through haha. I can see why you picked it.

13. CoffeeEyes17 - Together We'll Ring In The New Year
    Your songs are always so interpretive! This one in particular comes off as very emotional, it wouldn't surprise me at all if you told me you were connected to this song on that kind of level. If not -- you did a great job a on conveying it!

14. MikeYabs (Bedtime Stories and JKB3) - The Conversation
    Nice, a spoken word cover! Didn't see that coming on this comp at all. The way you put this together really makes those lyrics hit hard, great job of highlighting that in honor of this tribute.

15. trevorshmevor - When You're Around
    This one is mine, so I'll just talk a little bit about it. I've admittedly never been a huge MCS fan -- if you've read through most of these blurbs, you'll notice a trend of me having not heard the originals. My knowledge of the band only recently expanded to EIIKM. Anyway, I had a fun memory associated with this song so I decided it'd be the best choice for me. Initially, the cover I was working on was a lot closer to my normal wheelhouse of operation (think Balance & Compsure... definitely a much more interpretive cover). Decided to try something new and have some fun with it, and wound up with a bouncy little Four Year Strong type of track. Took every bit of me to record this one in the right key because I knew I'd have a hard time singing in it, but while the singing is far from perfect, I'm happy with the outcome. Very few harmonies because they were hard for me to nail haha. Had fun with the acoustic parts too -- hadn't recorded acoustic guitar in a long time.

16. elemenohpe - Her Words Destroyed My Planet
    This is awesome! I absolutely love the contrast of the super distorted electric guitar with the clean tone (especially around the 1:50 mark... you can shred, dude!!). The background "ooh's" are a nice touch too, you layered your vocal tracks really nicely. Definitely one of the more interesting arrangements on this whole comp, so great job!

17. nohandstoholdonto - Modern Chemistry (bonus track)
    Glad this got added on! You have a good voice (your falsettos are solid!) and the guitars sound really clear. Would like to know what mix you used! Nice work!

A lot of you are making me wish I'd done a straight up acoustic version of my song, haha! Again, I can't say it enough, great job all around. Everyone killed it.

13. Woah, thanks so much! Like I said above, the arrangement and key is was done in are both pretty out of my comfort zone, so that really means a lot.

14. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

Trying not to comment much because I haven't been able to sit and listen to the rest of the comp but thank you! Tbh vocals are kind of a weird thing for me and I'm trying to work on feminizing my voice so it causes less dysphoria (sucks when people hear it and think I'm a guy) but it's a work in progress for sure. As far as recording goes, I just use the GarageBand app for iPhone and record through the phone's built in mic. I just do multiple takes with different mic placements and try to blend them in a way that sounds halfway decent lol.

15. jean-luc davis

Shut the FFFFFFRESHFISH UP

Your version is magnificent! I record the same way, with GarangeBand on my phone or on my fiancée's MacBook. You made it sound so so good though.

16. Chase Tremaine likes this.
  17. Aww I appreciate that!! I didn't want to miss it but I've been too busy with a new EP and other such things. I'm hoping to miss as few comps as possible in the future, though

18. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

All of these are so great! I need to properly listen to the whole thing to single anyone or anything out but its really good overall!!

Hey Brad, when can we start calling out Weezer songs?

19. Thursday probably. Jason is posting about the MCS comp on Wednesday so let's give this one a minute to shine. Hopefully the post will help recruit new people for the Weezer comp.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  20. Gotcha. I'm probably gonna be absent from this upcoming comp for the same reason -- stretching myself too thin these days. Looking forward to hear what you're working on!

21. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

I love everyone's covers but the stand outs for me are simplejack, bradsonemanband, 2stepwithsteve, JoshShulkin, DashboardProfessional and trevorshmevor's. But as I said, everyone did a fantastic job, those are just my personal favourites.

22. Aww thank you!

23. thetruthisvile

I sing in Sarah and the Safe Word.

Thank you so much! Yeah - my band's record is up on Spotify (under Sarah and the Safe Word) and on Bandcamp at sarahandthesafeword.bandcamp.com. :)

24. dongusbologna

I used to be PIG DESTROYER

Thanks for the compliments Brad and trevorshmevor! There actually aren't any sleigh bells in this, just egg shakers, a weird kids toy shaker shaped like an elephant and tambourine. I may add sleigh bells though, as I have them and I love them. I changed a few things and will change a few more tonight because I didn't feel that this was 100% done when I submitted it. Brad, I'm sorry in advance but if you're ok with it, I'll be sending you an updated song tonight. I'll try not to do this again haha. Trevor, make sure to check out what I feel is a better version of this tomorrow!

Good comp overall. I had fun listening and actually listened twice. I'm just going to highlight my favorites.

Harveyn590- Yours was neat. Very swinging and fun version of a very aggressive song. Good composition.
    simplejack- Pretty standard cover, but your voice is great and worth noting. Keep singing.
    bradsonemanband- Great take on this one. Sometimes you change so much that your covers don't resemble the original at all, which some people love but I like yours the most when they're different but still keep the main melody of the original. To me, yours could benefit from some more backing vocals/harmonies because when you have that higher backing track, you always sound better (this is something I very much overdo myself). I love the emo guitar layers and effects on the pre-chorus/chorus the most.
    Things So Impossible- You have a very unique voice that is likely polarizing but I dug it. And much props for covering a new song. It's easily my favorite off the new album and you killed it.
    thetruthisvile- Straightforward cover, but absolutely nailed it. Great vocals. Are the drums real? I especially dug them.
    JoshShulkin- I really like the instrumentation, especially the keyboard loop and some of the layers you did- the twinkly emo lines in particular.
    DashboardProfessional- Great job. Your voice is very Justin-esque and your scream/sing you do for the high notes is awesome. I hope you do more of these!
    trevorshmevor- Never wish you had just done a straight up acoustic cover! Always go above and beyond (if possible)! This cover is insane. You clearly spent a shitload of time putting this together. So many interesting little accents and fills all over this. I'm assuming the drums are fake, but they rule and I imagine they took forever to program. Very good on all aspects and very fun. I look forward to hearing more from you.

25. Thanks for the tips and kind words!