Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chorus.fm Member Compilations - HALLOWEEN COMPILATION (Out now!) • Page 244

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bradsonemanband, Mar 30, 2016.

1. I still really wanna do a Creed/Nickelback, etc. mixtape. Haha

EmoEmpire and David Parke like this.
  2. EmoEmpire

Husband. Dad. One-Man-Band.

You could widen the scope by making it a 'secret crush' for bands we like that we might be embarassed to admit we like (or bands that aren't always seen as cool)

bradsonemanband likes this.
  3. Like a “guilty pleasures” one... that could be pretty cool

Benjamin Lee and EmoEmpire like this.
  4. EmoEmpire

Great idea. Comments have dropped off on this idea but i'm in!

Benjamin Lee and bradsonemanband like this.
  5. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

If we go with the "Guilty Pleasures" idea, I call covering Aqua's Barbie Girl.

6. I have no guilt when it comes to my music taste, so I will have to reeeeally dig deep to find something I'm genuinely guilty for liking, or I will just have to come at you all with a Hilary Duff cover or something because I assume people would say I should be guilty for actually loving some of her music, haha.

EmoEmpire likes this.
  7. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I feel the idea of guilty pleasures is weird... Like, I'm not ashamed I like Aqua. I can't remember who, but back during the absolutepunk days I remember someone mentioning how there is no benefit to not liking something, and liking anything is a positive thing because each thing is just another thing you get to enjoy in life. So when I hear the term guilty pleasure, I don't think "What am I ashamed of liking?" I think "What would others judge me or make fun of me for liking?" The one I get the most shit for is definitely Aqua.

EmoEmpire and bradsonemanband like this.
  8. That's a great way to look at it. I'm into it.

Yeah, I listen to Hilary Duff, Taylor Swift, Hall & Oates, and all sorts of other stuff that my friends are always like "Wait... what?" haha. It's always a good time (for me) when I get to choose what we listen to in long car rides, haha.

9. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I've gotten many a strange look when either Aqua's Cartoon Heroes or Reggie and the Full Effects Love Reality has come on. I also found a CD by the Icelandic band Múm at a Goodwill once, and it genuinely sounds like it was made by dead people, so that's always a fun one to pull out.

10. Reggie is always a great time. What an amazing record. Smack and Katie is an all time great video.

11. Hahahaha dude. Mum is creepy and amazing. Haven’t listened to them in years.

EmoEmpire likes this.
  12. I like this idea. I think I've suggested a queer artists comp before but the timing makes your idea better.

David Parke likes this.
  13. EmoEmpire

Does a band with a gay member count? Eg. Faith No More

14. I don't see why that wouldn't qualify, it's still one more gay member than most bands. I'm just boring because most of the gay artists I know are frontwomen or solo acts.

EmoEmpire likes this.
  15. I’d love to take a stab at sprained ankle by Julien baker.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  16. EmoEmpire

I love Queen but have never thought of Freddie as an LGBTQ artist even though i knew he was gay. Someone's sexual orientation doesn't bother me, it's just all about the music. It feels discriminatory looking through my music collection hunting for the gay members even though it's for a positive reason.

17. What would actually be discriminatory is avoiding someone's music because they're gay. I initially checked out Tegan and Sara partly because they're gay twins, but I wouldn't still be listening to their music now more than ten years later if I didn't genuinely like it. I recently started to more and more listen mainly to artists who are gay, female, and/or Asian American, because I realized how white-male-dominated my taste in music was. On the other hand, I get it, it's unfair to lump people together based on race, gender, or sexuality. I think Sophie (Soccer Mommy) said in an interview once that she was tired of being compared to other young female artists, even though they're basically all friends with each other on social media or through touring anyway. Different artists have different sounds and styles, even if they fall under the same genre. That said, I started listening to Snail Mail because Lindsey and Sophie are buds. (I actually prefer Snail Mail now, but don't tell Sophie I said that.) I didn't find out until later that Lindsey is gay, so that was kind of just a pleasant surprise at that point. I imagine there are people who'd stop listening to her music in that situation, and that's the kind of thing that would be considered discriminatory. I think it's okay to simultaneously appreciate someone's work and celebrate their identity, without letting that label define them.

Personally, I wouldn't have to hunt through my music collection to find gay artists, though? If they're the frontperson, I think I'd already know that they're gay.

EmoEmpire likes this.
  18. EmoEmpire

I agree, anyone who stops listening to a band or an artist cause of a sexual identity of a frontperson or member is a sad person. I feel sorry for them not only cause they might miss some great music, but they are a shallow person!

19. EmoEmpire Jun 15, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 15, 2019)
    EmoEmpire

Hey Brad i've been thinking about the 'guilty pleasures' comp idea and it's tricky cause who i like but deem to be embarassing/cringe to others may not be to someone else. Maybe come from more of the 'my secret crush' or 'i'm a closet fan of...'

20. Queer comp? Let's do it! I'm itching to record again and already have my artists picked out: Sasami and Snail Mail. Which is funny because I'm seeing them touring together next month.

mad and David Parke like this.
  21. bradsonemanband Jul 3, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 3, 2019)
    Hey, sorry I've been a stranger in here recently.

So we've done 7 "mixtapes" in a row already, maybe it's time to switch it up and pick a specific band/artist again! I'd be down to pick someone new, and I'd also be down to revisit a band we've already covered previously.

Some suggestions for specific bands/artists:

-Blink-182 vol 3 (we haven't done a Blink comp since May 2015)
    -The Ataris
    -MXPX
    -The Get Up Kids
    -Third Eye Blind
    -The Starting Line
    -Descendents
    -Taylor Swift

But I know that the Mixtape ones are more popular because it lets us be more diverse in our song selections. So here are some mixtape suggestions too:

-One Song (we pick one specific song that we all do our own cover of)
    -Summer Music vol 2
    -Pop punk bands
    -Bad rock songs (Nickelback, Creed, etc)
    -'90s Music vol 2
    -'80s Music
    -No Boys Allowed vol 3
    -Guilty Pleasures

EmoEmpire and David Parke like this.
  22. Things that stuck out to me:
    Third eye blind
    Blink v3
    Bad rock songs
    Guilty pleasures

23. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Third Eye Blind fo sho

24. EmoEmpire

I'd be up for any of these:
    -The Ataris (kris roe is such a good dude i bet he'd be into it and support - video review even?)
    -MXPX (as above, same with mike, tom and yuri)
    -Third Eye Blind
    -One Song (we pick one specific song that we all do our own cover of)
    -Pop punk bands
    -Bad rock songs (Nickelback, Creed, etc)
    -'90s Music vol 2
    -'80s Music
    -No Boys Allowed vol 3
    -Guilty Pleasures

Jdaniels and bradsonemanband like this.
  25. So I guess we're not doing the pride month thing anymore. Nah, I mean, it's cool, I'm sure we'll get to it eventually. I haven't been very active on these as of late, so I'm just dying to submit to something.

If we end up doing No Boys Allowed again, out of protest for missing a perfect opportunity to do the LGBT+ comp, I'll be submitting songs from female artists who also happen to be queer. Heh.