Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chorus.fm Member Compilations - HALLOWEEN COMPILATION (Out now!) • Page 243

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bradsonemanband, Mar 30, 2016.

1. therookielot

Punk, Absolute Prestigious

ohh this is a good idea! ima dig back on some covers I did that weren't up to par too haha

David Parke and bradsonemanband like this.
  2. Submitted!

bradsonemanband and EmoEmpire like this.
  3. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

As it turns out, I don't have it in me to write a short song. My brain instantly comes up with ideas too big. Catch me in the next comp. :worried:

EmoEmpire and bradsonemanband like this.
  4. This is fun as shit!

I'll review everyone's stuff later today

EmoEmpire, mad and David Parke like this.
  5. “Middle finger did up-flip” is an incredibly 2002 lyric and I wish I’d thought of it. In 2002 I wrote “I’ve got a simple one-hand gesture. 8 fingers down doubles the pleasure”
    Lol

bradsonemanband likes this.
  6. hahaha amazing

David Parke likes this.
  7. This comp rips and may be my fav. Songs are too long these days. JAWBONE is a standout favorite. Lol

EmoEmpire and bradsonemanband like this.
  8. @David Parke - Such a cool idea to do all these nursery rhymes! I used to have a similar idea, but I never got around to it. I was going to do a bunch of church in a punk rock style, but then I realized I don't know any church songs... I want to learn your melody to the "ABCs" song so I can memorize how to do them backwards. And I love the "Aliens Exist" riff in "London Bridge."

@EmoEmpire - Your songs are so cool! I loved all of them. They reminded me of songs that would have been on the album Anywhere But Here by The Ataris, especially "Fine." "Life After The Band" is so good. Love the switch to 3/4 in the second half of it. That song reminds me a lot of MXPX.

@mad - I love your cover! Tegan and Sara are sooo good, and I don't listen to them enough.

@aoftbsten - Your voice in "Distant Star" gives me some Anthony Green vibes, and I'm into it. The ManOrch cover rules too. I've actually never listened to the original version of that song, so now I need to so I can compare.

@therookielot - From Autumn To Ashes is a name I haven't heard in yeeears! Cool to see a song by them on here. Your cover rules.

bradsonemanband - A little bit about my songs: "Turn It Down" was written and recorded in 2002, when I was 15 or 16 years old. Back in high school, I recorded sooo many songs, and I've had this idea recently to re-record a few of the better songs, so I decided I'd record an updated version of it this weekend to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Re-record an old song for that project, and also have a song for the new compilation! ----- The other 3 songs on here are by my old silly project called Ohio! Ohio! All of those songs were written and recorded back in 2006. The whole album is like 32 tracks and is less than 40 minutes, haha. "JAWBONE" is in reference to this crazy homeless guy my friend and I met at a Wendy's once who told us the world was ending soon (back in 2006, remember) and he had this theory about the end of the world called "the Jawbone theory." He told us to hurry and build a boat so we would survive... Cool guy! "Electronic Gurl" is about meeting a cute robot or something. I don't know what I was thinking. If you want to hear that whole album, here it is.

9. I've listened to the whole comp 3 times already, haha. This is in my top 10 fav comps we've done, for sure.

and thanks! glad you like "Jawbone." took awhile to record. ;-)

EmoEmpire and David Parke like this.
  10. Glad you caught that! Haha hell yeah.

11. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Did not expect this comp to start out with Itsy Bitsy Spider. This is gonna be dope.

12. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

@David Parke Nursery Rhymes as punk songs is just a kick ass idea. If I ever have kids, this is how they're gonna hear them haha. Little Miss Jill sounds like a punk version of Devil Went Down to Georgia.

@EmoEmpire Your songs rip. I'm getting some Alkaline Trio vibes from them. I could see myself moshing hard to Fine.

@mad I've never actually heard the original, but I love your vocal delivery in this. I really need to listen to more Teagan & Sara

@bradsonemanband I love the evolution of Turn It Down from a garage band sound to full on punk anthem. JAWBONE, I laughed way too loud at that in my office haha. I'm gonna check out the Ohio Ohio album.

@therookielot I have not heard that song in forever. Your voice is actually similar. Really well-done cover.

therookielot, mad, EmoEmpire and 2 others like this.
  13. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I had recorded three different versions of "Distant Star" and kept going back and forth on which one to go with. One was similar to this one but tuned half a step-down and at a slightly faster tempo. The other was more of a typical acoustic strumming version. Ultimately decided I liked this final version best.

Also almost submitted "Blood and Wine" by Dustin Kensrue, but I was tired and kept screwing up when I was recording haha. Oh well, I've got that in my back pocket for next time.

14. I listened to this whole compilation to many times yesterday, haha. You all did great!

EmoEmpire, David Parke and aoftbsten like this.
  15. EmoEmpire

Husband. Dad. One-Man-Band.

Wow you are good! The Ataris - Blue Skies changed my life! Then i worked back to Anywhere But Here. Kris Roe was on fire back then. And MxPx... well i LOVE them. Thanks for your kind review.

David Parke and bradsonemanband like this.
  16. EmoEmpire

What's the next comp and when's it due?

17. Blue Skies also changed my life, man. So I totally get it! And I did the same thing, worked backwards from there. In fact, my song “Turn It Down” on this comp originally came from an album I wrote in 2002 where I was basically trying to make my own version of Anywhere But Here. Haha.

EmoEmpire likes this.
  18. We haven’t talked about it yet, actually! We usually create a poll with suggestions users come up with. Either a new mixtape idea or a specific band that we all should cover. Have any suggestions?

EmoEmpire likes this.
  19. mad

I was right. Prestigious

since it's pride month - songs by LGBTQ+ artists?

bradsonemanband and David Parke like this.
  20. EmoEmpire

Punk/emo bands that we love which haven't 'made it' AKA aren't on tv/radio. We can promote the 'little guy' bands that bring us joy.

21. EmoEmpire

We could tribute the song that was the most influential in getting us into music. Now that would be a random bunch of artists i bet!

bradsonemanband and David Parke like this.
  22. EmoEmpire

Songs we wish we wrote. (Ever hear a song and be like DAM i wish i wrote that!)

23. EmoEmpire

MxPx

24. EmoEmpire

Our punk/emo versions of classic 70/80's band/rock tribute eg. Queen, Led Zep, Bob Marley, ACDC, Guns N Roses, Ozzy, The Doors, Def Leppard, Pink Floyd etc

25. EmoEmpire

ChorusFM Goes Grunge. Our punk/emo versions of our favourite early 1990's 'grunge' track.