Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chorus.fm Member Compilations - HALLOWEEN COMPILATION (Out now!) • Page 178

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bradsonemanband, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Thank god you like the newer version more than the one from 11 years ago! hahaha. Thanks man! I've always had a sweet spot for this song (even with the horrible MySpace name drop in it)

2. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Haha, I like the myspace line! I figure it's more tongue-in-cheek at this point.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  3. @ImAMetaphor Voice Of The People - fuuuuuck yes! Great stuff pal. Loving the very direct, no bullshit political message here. The part at the end with tambourine and layered vocals got me way pumped, that climax was really well done and would be a great sing along at any show. Very glad you wrote and submitted this.

@Jdaniels ATL is Atlanta - hey, cool to hear some drums on one of your tracks! They mesh very well with what you're playing and help add a very upbeat feel to those major chords. The quiet background vocals were a nice touch as well. Very nice work with all of your submissions, enjoyed each one!

ImAMetaphor likes this.
  4. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

I have lots of songs written, but not recorded or put into any sort of actual thought. Sometimes I just write lyrics and melodies, and every now and then they eventually find themselves put next to actual music. Part of the reason why my EP is taking so long to complete. I announced that I was working on my EP back in November of 2016, and as it stands right now, I don't know if it will be released before the end of the year.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  5. @JakeRabin Pass - man, another one on the comp with such a sad backstory. I'm really glad you were able to take what Mikey started with this track and make it into a fully fleshed out song. I loved the orchestral backdrop to it all -- violin plucks are the shit. The acoustic vibe mixed with that reminded me a lot of the song "Sunshine" by The All-American Rejects, which is a song I love. I like the melody you used in the chorus a lot, not sure who exactly wrote that part but it's nice and simple and flows very well with what you're doing instrumentally.

JakeRabin likes this.
  6. Alright, last track of mine on here. Quoting what I wrote earlier:

And obviously, I was very wrong with that assumption, lol!

7. @thewmaynes Paper Moon - looks like there were two different projects you submitted under, but your positive, relaxing vibe shined through on both of them. I like that you had three pretty distinctively different styles going on but that all of the songs still remained cohesive! It was nice to here a stripped down track from you on this one. I liked how you had your main vocals as a single track driven pretty much straight up through the middle of the mix, and then had the additional vocals come in at the end panned to the right and left separately. That definitely helped to create a sense of atmosphere!

@troyplaysbass Body And Blood - always think it's really cool when songs start with a quiet version chorus, so that way when it comes back around for the first big chorus, the melody is already familiar. This song was super fun to listen to. Your bass playing (again, assuming that's you due to the username), is INSANE on that second verse. I loved that. I actually went back to listen to it again after it happened haha. The second part of the chorus that starts with "I know what these eyes have seen" and goes through the end is so, so catchy. The production on this is really great. Did your band go DIY or did you guys go to a studio? Anyway, all of your projects kick ass and I'm glad you were on this comp.

@ComedownMachine Emo - that picking guitar with the chorus FX hooked me in from the first second. Driving bass line underneath it is awesome, and the transition to that poppy chorus is awesome. Totally works and doesn't sound even slightly strange transitioning back into the moodier verse parts. Very fun guitar work all around, actually -- the lead riff in the chorus is so bouncy and sounds like it'd be fun to play. Totally did not expect that ending either, but I definitely can appreciate it when a song doesn't force its way back to a third chorus for the sake of "traditional" structure. Like we talked about a little earlier in the thread: short and sweet can be key! And this is a great example of that. Thanks for contributing, your songs were great!

@Jesse West Balance - ooooooh. Spooky sounding! I lol'ed when I read the meaning of lyrics and that you wrote them on acid. I've never done acid, but I can only imagine an intense philosophical concept like that would've been insane to write about under those circumstances. Anyway, you went for a lot of interesting this here and it paid off. The higher pitched vocals sound suuuuper cool, idk what effect you used on them but it sounds super creepy and dark. I know this site doesn't take these comparisons lightly, but man I feel like I definitely got Brand New vibes from this. Especially with that guitar solo! The whole track has this crazy ominous tension, you did a great job building an environment to harbor all of these sounds. I remember feeling the same about Rings True, too. Memorable stuff for sure!

@cbaksa @colemanbright Elected - guys, this is great. I loved this. Getting extreme Balance & Composure feels here, a band I'd consider to be one of my favorites (which was probably at least somewhat obvious from my submissions to our last originals comp, hah). The verses are so pretty and shimmering and then that chorus just comes in and punches you in the face! What a voice! The lead in the bridge is super cool before the solo. I'm not that knowledgable on theory, but sounds like it kinda does a key change or something? Maybe @teebs41 will correct me on that :crylaugh: In any case, I am a big fan of both tracks the two of you had on here and hope to hear more in the future!

8. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

@trevorshmevor is definitely the MVP, I feel obligated to do write ups now!

Jdaniels and trevorshmevor like this.
  9. @TedSchmosby YGYTMA - the tone of the synth paired with the lo-fi style recording of the acoustic and vocals works sooo well. Oh, and the bells. The beeeeeeelllllllssssssss. So pretty. I'm not going to lie, going into a 7 minute song is always a little intimidating, and keeping someone's attention that's never heard your music before for that long cannot be easy. But my friend, you absolutely did it here. The way the whole song crescendos really dragged me in and kept me there. In addition to the captivating instrumentation, this is the best vocal performance I've heard from you period (spanning all of the comps)! So, great job there. Brad had a lot of great choices here for closers and I think this was a perfect decision to land on!

10. Wow yeah I can't believe I did that for all of them lol. A lot of it was kinda repetitive but I mean every word! Everybody likes to hear what people thought of their music, and every contributor here killed it so y'all deserve the praise! For real, every time I thought "man, this might be my favorite so far", the next track would start up and my world would be turned upside down haha.

I'm gonna go back to having a life now!

11. cbaksa

Thanks so much for taking time to listen and for the kind words! We recorded parts of "Elected" years ago and it was exciting to finally release it. We love B&C so that feedback is really cool to hear. As for the other song, we'll be releasing an EP in the next month or so with more Night Run tracks. Will post it in the forum as a follow-up.

Also, "Stray Therapy" kicks ass. Super high energy and I love the intro guitar progression.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  12. TedSchmosby

Trusted

mfw when I realize there are no tracks after mine

Haha, thanks a lot man -- for everything you said about every song. I read all of it and appreciate all of it. You weren't overstating on any of your commentaries. I know that after listening to the first twenty songs. They're all so good, and I'll let everyone know when I do more commenting tomorrow

13. therookielot

Punk, Absolute Prestigious

Sounds good guys. I was gonna contribute something but my domme's mom has been sick so she's been in Florida with her so I backed out and recorded an MCR song for her. Duty calls I guess.

14. Jesse West

Cursed by my ancestry

Brand New vibes is the highest praise I could ask for! Thank you. I'm gonna keep working on this one and hopefully use it for a new band. I've been fighting to get some version of this out for a while now. The chord progression in the chorus has been stuck in my head for months and months.

@bradsonemanband did you see if Jason wrote a news post for this one? I know he usually does one for the cover comps.

15. That's pretty sweet of you though. What song did you do?

16. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

@Wall Of Arms I really liked your songs too "Hard Hard Heart" is right in the wheelhouse of what I am currently listening to. Great work, Kyle.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  17. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

Thank you to everyone who took the time to listen to my songs and say such nice things about them. I was pretty nervous about sharing them. I'm going to have some time tomorrow afternoon to listen through the comp, and I certainly intend to do some write-ups of my own!

18. Jdaniels

Regular

I'm working on my own writeup though not as indepth. Thank you so much guys! Would you hate me was written based off my girlfriend at the time saying "would you hate me if I went away?" Atl is based off me playing a show in Atlanta,& gloria was me trying to tell my stepson "depression" is life getting worse again then better then worse then better. It's a long demo I'm definitely gonna work on.

19. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Sink @trevorshmevor - This reminds me of Anthony Green's "Springtime Out The Van Window". That may just be because it's an instrumental track, but the vibes are there for sure. I love the main guitar and its interaction with the synths and drum kit around it. It's got a really cool atmospheric vibe too it.

Paper Moon @thewmaynes - A wonderful straight forward acoustic track. The chord progression and your vocals throughout are perfect. The ending in particular is great when the backing vocals come in echoing with "Shine on".

Body & Blood @troyplaysbass - I love this chorus! The first part is great and I wasn't expecting the second part to come in ("I know what these eyes have seen..."). This song is full of small unexpected twists, like the 2nd verse being a little more low key than the 1st or the gang vocal chorus at the end with the solo shouting/screaming in the background. Great song with a lot of small nuances built in that make it special.

Emo @ComedownMachine - I love the beat driving the song in the verse towards the chorus. And then the decision for quite ending that resists the urge to jump back into one final big repeat of the chorus was a great move.

I'm going to try and get to the last three tracks tonight, but as I've said before, everything thus far has been great!

TedSchmosby and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  20. TheoW593

Regular

Is a Pinegrove comp in the pipeline?

21. maybe? i don't know if anyone's actually brought them up til now, so i'm not sure how popular they'd be on a poll. but i definitely could throw it on and see if it sticks.

22. Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  23. recall reality

"But existing is basically all I do!" Prestigious

It's shocking that there hasn't been a comp for The Gaslight Anthem on this site.

Jdaniels, JakeRabin and bodkins like this.
  24. JakeRabin

I'm tired.

Fun fact about Gaslight I share every time they're brought up around me because I'm still hyped about it. I appear for longer than 1 second in the video for their song "45".

25. therookielot

Punk, Absolute Prestigious

Disenchanted

trevorshmevor likes this.