Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chorus.fm Member Compilations - HALLOWEEN COMPILATION (Out now!) • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bradsonemanband, Mar 30, 2016.

1. FUN FACT:
    The first compilation came out 1 year (and 6 days) ago! I love that we're still doing these regularly. Thanks for helping keeping them alive. Here's to another year!

phillyfradet likes this.
  2. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I thought these were going on longer than that. haha The increase in the quality of them has increased so much since the beginning, it's crazy to think so much improvement came in a year.

3. Definitely! All of you guys are killin' it and constantly getting better.

4. Current Motion City Soundtrack comp stats:

874 individual song plays

Top 10 most played:

1. Things So Impossible - 80 plays
    2. Harveyn590 - 80
    3. DashboardProfessional - 65
    4. thetruthisvile - 64
    5. nothingsforeverdude - 51
    6. 2stepwithsteve - 51
    7. simplejack - 50
    8. CoffeeEyes17 - 50
    9. bradsonemanband - 48
    10. MrBenjaminQLee - 42

5. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I'm a solid 10. haha (probably just because I'm early in the comp though)

6. PS: We will start calling out Weezer songs on Thursday for the next comp.

7. elemenohpe

Irregular Prestigious

I already picked what I'm doing. I'm confident no one else will go for it so I'm going to try and start basic tracking tonight.

8. thetruthisvile

I sing in Sarah and the Safe Word.

Now I'm curious. XD

9. elemenohpe

Irregular Prestigious

I'll wait until tomorrow to say it but I've already got a friend who offered to do drums so I'm excited.

10. everyone start naming off the most obscure Weezer songs and mess elemenohpe up! ;-) haha jk

there's two songs i REALLY want to do... it's gonna be hard just picking one.

11. elemenohpe

Irregular Prestigious

If anyone guesses it I'll be amazed. I mean 10 albums worth of songs to choose and I'm sure most people are going to stick to songs from blue and Pinkerton.

And I do have an easier backup song ready just in case.

12. jean-luc davis

Shut the FFFFFFRESHFISH UP

I have a song in mind for the Weezer comp that I started formulating earlier this week. It'll be waaaay different than my efforts for the MCS comp and I kind of can't wait to try it (if someone else doesn't call it first haha)

13. bobsheiskawy

is it the same for you? Prestigious

i hope everyone still hates "thank god for girls" so that i can give that one a shot.

14. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

bobsheiskawy likes this.
  15. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I was thinking about doing that one, but you can have at it.

16. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

Gonna try and do this comp. I might attempt Blast Off (Songs From The Black Hole anyone??)

JRGComedy likes this.
  17. hey! no calling songs yet! haha

phillyfradet likes this.
  18. bobsheiskawy

is it the same for you? Prestigious

i don't need to, it was just one i've been playing around with haha. my participation would also probably depend on the due date, since these next few weeks are going to be pretty busy at work.

i'm not calling! just wishfully thinking out loud haha.

Benjamin Lee and phillyfradet like this.
  19. Things So Impossible

I love this comp and it exceeded my expectations! Thanks for putting these things together, bradsonemanband. I'm bummed I missed the blink, Jimmy Eat World, and 90s comps but I look forward to participating in the future. I'm especially happy that MCS is getting the recognition they deserve. Everyone did a REALLY good job and I enjoy hearing each person's take on these songs. I guess I'd say my top two are thetruthisvile with Capital H (Your voice is like a late 90s/00s pop singer like Ryan Cabrera, but doing rock songs, which is dope as hell and I'm envious) and JoshShulkin with Last Night (the music and vibe are PHENOMENAL), but it's really tough to pick favorites when I was impressed with every single one. I appreciate the kind words from others:

bradsonemanband - As is apparent from my username, I love Dashboard and he's the reason I started playing acoustic guitar. So that compliment means a lot, thank you. My favorite MCS track is L.G. FUAD and you more than did it justice. That lead guitar you had going on the whole time makes the song, and is great.

trevorshmevor - Again, thank you for the comparison to Dashboard! And for the compliment about my voice; I get "distinguishable/unique" a lot and have never heard that myself I guess, but if it's a good thing then I am grateful. And as for the mic, I use a BOSS BR-600 Digital Recorder for every part of the recording. So I don't plug the guitar in or anything, I just use the vocal mic built in. DashboardProfessional is my brother and he uses the same recorder, so that was an astute observation that our vibes are similar haha. As for your cover, it absolutely belongs on a "Punk Goes...." album. It sounds so professional! It definitely has the FYS vibe you were talking about. Just awesome.

dongusbologna - Thanks for the compliment and I'm glad you like my voice too! I'm psyched you did Everyone Will Die because that's one I was toying with as well. I originally wanted to do L.G. FUAD, Resolution, or Hold Me Down but when those were taken I decided to finally give full listens to Go and Panic Stations. I was blown away by Panic Stations and I Can Feel You is my favorite track off of it as well, so I went with that to show some love to the more recent MCS offerings. Kudos to you for doing the same.

Looking forward to Weezer though I'd be down with giving current comps more time to breathe in between, to get the attention all our hard work deserves.

20. You're welcome AND thank you! haha. I'm glad you feel that I did the song justice. I was nervous about it since I wrote it so last minute. Glad it paid off!

And in response to your suggestion about giving the comps more time to breathe, I see your point. We put a lot of work into these things. However, after the first couple days of their release, the play/download count goes downhill very fast. And if you think about it, each comp is actually given 3-4 weeks to breathe because we are all working on the next one in that time. We still get listens on various songs of a bunch of the comps in that "prep period" between compilations. The way we've been doing it works really well, and keeps the play counts from casual listeners (and not to mention, our creativity) constant.

21. Thanks so much! Definitely tried to have fun with it. Funny enough, programming drums always takes the least amount of time for me. I love doing it though! Longest for sure is vocals. Not a great singer so I'm super critical when recording them. But that's part of why these comps are nice! They're not too serious and they have a deadline. It's like -- I did what I could in the time allotted, and this is what I accomplished.

Anyway, thanks again, glad you dug it! Gonna be passing this Weezer one, but I'll be around on future comps for sure! :)

22. Haha yeah, I definitely meant distinguishable in a good way! You have a cool voice that I couldn't mistake for anyone else. But that's awesome, I love those BR-600's! Worked at Guitar Center for a long time and used to sling both those and Yeti's like crazy to any acoustic singer/songwriter. The BR-800 slays too.

And thank you! My recording setup is pretty minimal, and I don't have any really cool software, so any positive comments about the production quality are very warmly received on my end. Looking forward to hearing more music from you and your brother!

23. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

I have 2 weezer songs I want to do. One of them is probably going to be taken as soon as people are allowed to start calling out, the other one I'm not sure how popular it is.

24. thetruthisvile

I sing in Sarah and the Safe Word.

Thank you SO much, dude. That really means a lot to hear. :heart:3 I was actually just thinking how stellar your voice sounds on your cover, so I consider it a high complement from someone so talented.

25. elemenohpe

Irregular Prestigious

Well shit, your stuff sounded so good I've got to ask...

What is your setup? What software do you use?

I rushed my cover out using what I had laying around (a guitar hero mic for vocals and guitars / a Rocksmith cable for direct in bass). Now I'm interested in getting some more appropriate gear. Like a good microphone and a digital interface.

I have no idea where to start.