Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chorus.fm Member Compilations: Currently on Hiatus • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Benjamin Lee, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I think that's my favorite idea so far. Maybe do an original comp, then one of the next few comps users could choose a song from that comp to cover. Or we could randomly generate assignments to certain users who will give the person covering a few options. Maybe other options for making it work, but I like the idea a lot.

EmoEmpire and bradsonemanband like this.
  2. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i added one

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  3. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

That sounds like a cool idea. 50th-anniversary comp. Definitely have a Bowie song or two from Hunky Dory I'd be down to cover.

phaynes12 likes this.
  4. Added a couple that I think could (should?) be done at least once every year or two

Although something like Best of 2020 does currently have a bit more urgency

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  5. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I love your ideas. I think we are (to no one's fault) overdue on doing something like those. And yeah, that's true. We can do Best of 2020 next if everyone's cool with it.

6. phaynes12

not to get too self-promo but i figured since we all obviously record stuff it'd be fair. i still have to re-record a few things in the beginning and haven’t done any mixing/mastering yet. so it obviously has a ways to go, but this is the general idea. any feedback would be appreciated. things you like, stuff that might be too busy, etc etc. Thanks!

Dropbox - feel it still ROUGH DEMO.mp3 - Simplify your life

trevorshmevor and Benjamin Lee like this.
  7. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I love this. The guitar tones are really cool, and I really just love the overall vibe. It sounds busy occasionally when the lead stuff comes in, but I think that's due to the rough mix and could easily be ironed out with a better mix. I wouldn't take anything out. I think you have a good song there, and with a little clean-up, it will sound really good. Definitely let at least me know when you've finished it. I really like it.

phaynes12 likes this.
  8. phaynes12

rad, thanks a bunch. yeah, I didn't try mixing at all yet, so I get that re: the part where the lead comes in. i think it'll get cleaned up once it's mixed/mastered. I'll def let ya know.

9. Imo this is the most appropriate thread to post your own stuff. The actual self promo thread is mostly just bait for drive by posters trying to hustle anyway

Cool track Pat, those super wet modulated tones are trippy. I like that the phase cycles are kind of going on at different speeds on each guitar and both heavily panned opposite ways. Those whole notes that start just after 1:20 provide a neat juxtaposition too, I love the sound of completely different tones working together — they’re super clean while the rest of the track really isn’t. Whole thing has a very vintage vibe that I know you’re into, so mission accomplished probably? Haha. Interested to hear what you do with the mix. Where are the drums from?

10. phaynes12

definitely going for a vintage, kinda tame impala kinda vibe. it’s actually phaser on one guitar and univibe on the other, which accounts for the different speed type stuff. thanks, really appreciate it.

as for the drums, i programmed them myself using logic drummer and then sent the midi to native instruments abbey road drummer. added some compression and then a few waves tape saturation plugins to give it the blown out feel

Benjamin Lee and trevorshmevor like this.
  11. I have two song ideas I’ve been sitting on. Both are completely different from each other and neither of them fit with any project I’m currently working on. Haha. Maybe I’ll throw the demos in here and see what you all think. I haven’t shown anyone yet.

Benjamin Lee and trevorshmevor like this.
  12. EmoEmpire

Husband. Dad. One-Man-Band.

Just added my ideas to the google doc

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  13. genericities

instagram.com/pegasusrides_

voted for a few options, I think the 1971 idea is very cool, as is "covers of other members' originals"

14. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

This. That thread is mostly people who create an account to post their music then dip. This thread I feel like is a little more tight-nit (I couldn't think of a better term) so I think both the people in it are more likely to check out the music, and they're more likely to have real feedback.

Definitely interested. I've always loved your music. You should actually link me to your projects (Bandcamp pages, or SoundCloud, or whatever) because I used to have it but I lost it and cannot for the life of me remember where to find it.

The dead artists comp is another excuse for me to cover Bowie, so I like that a lot. I don't know if you did the element comp idea (there was no name attached) but I love that idea too. It's really out there, a bit of a challenge, but I think it would be fun to figure out. Basically Avatar the Last Airbender but a music comp.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  15. The Alchemy Index: Chorus Edition

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  16. Here are my two song ideas I mentioned a couple days ago. Both songs are very different from each other and are unlike any of my current projects so maybe they'll be part of something new, I don't really know haha. Let me know what you think!

Bloody Nose
    I Dunno

17. EmoEmpire

Husband. Dad. One-Man-Band.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  18. Thank you! The “Bloody Nose” song came out of me after I was only listening to Brainiac all weekend. And “I Dunno” is an idea for a project I have in my mind that would be like a 90s emo band going back to record in the 80s, haha. Kind of weird.

EmoEmpire likes this.
  19. accelerateto88

Perfectly balanced.

Both cool in their own way. Bloody Nose reminds me a lot of Finch, I dig it.

20. accelerateto88

Perfectly balanced.

bobsheiskawy and bradsonemanband like this.
  21. These are sick! Bloody Nose is tough as hell haha. Idk if it’s gear or experience but your stuff has only improved in the production department. I Dunno feels like a totally different sound than you’ve normally got going on and I dig that — the programmed drum loop is super groovy and that smacked bass line with the chorus going feels pretty ambitious. Weirdly, I can really see those two tracks working together on the same record haha

22. Thanks for the feedback! That’s funny you can picture both songs working together on the same album haha. I don’t know what I’ll end up doing with them. I have a couple more one-off tracks I’ve been working on too. Maybe I’ll put out a “mixtape” with all my recent one-offs. Or maybe I’ll focus and try to write some more. I’m always writing and recording so who knows! Working from home has been a blessing haha. I’ve been so productive, and not just with my actual work haha.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  23. phaynes12

since it seemed like a few people had some mild interest, I got a working mix completed on the track I shared earlier.

Dropbox - feel it still MIXED w:o VOX.mp3 - Simplify your life

I'm far from a professional mixer so any feedback on the mix is appreciated. gonna add some vocals after but I wanted to get the instrumentals locked up before that.

24. Benjamin Lee Apr 28, 2021
    (Last edited: Apr 28, 2021)
    Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I love both of these. I'll echo @trevorshmevor and say I think these would actually be really cool together. Honestly, I think I Dunno would work really well as a song on a record that goes either right before or right after Bloody Nose. Kind of makes me think of the contrast between the heavy songs and interludes on Reggie & the Full Effect's Last Stop: Crappy Town record.

For Bitter or Worse is a super cool like, classic punkish break-up song. Love the vibe and lyrics, brings me back to the 2000s. Space Saver continues that 2000s vibe punk, and I really like it. I think I like this one a little for than For Bitter or Worse. Really like the drums. Then I think Write, Scribble, Repeat is my favorite. Feels like a really cool album closer. I don't know if that's the intention, but if it is, I'd be absolutely satisfied to listen to a record and it end with this one. The untitled one is also really cool, it reminds me of Relient k's album Two Lefts Don't Make a Right, But Three Do. Excited to see what you do with this one. Do you have links to your first record? Would love to check it out.

I really like the mix, vast improvement. I'd personally lower the lead that comes in around 1:20. Especially if you end up putting vocals there. That phaser around 2:30 is super cool. I really like this song, and the cleaner mix works well for it.

25. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I guess I'll share some stuff too. I've been working on my second (or third, I don't know how to measure) record off and on for the last year. It's very out of my comfort zone, I decided to record the entire thing live so it's just the raw emotion due to how personal the songs are. I don't like my voice much, so it's a huge stretch for me. But this song has maybe my favorite lyrics I've written. So here's a slightly drunk video of me recording it. I hate my facial expressions. :crylaugh:

Then I am working on music with a friend. She's been singing on some tracks I've never been able to get vocals I like on. Anyway, I'm not a great mixer either, and this song was a challenge as the chorus has around 40 layers going on, with 22 of them being a brass and string orchestral section. Absolute nightmare to mix, but I think this is about as good as I'm capable of getting it. I really love this one.

phaynes12 likes this.