Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chorus.fm Member Compilations - HALLOWEEN COMPILATION (Out now!) • Page 149

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bradsonemanband, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Trio182

2. Damien Davies Jun 24, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 24, 2017)
    Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

The one you sent the others to.

Edit: I managed to salvage Til Death Do Us Part. Did you send any others?

3. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

@Ugly Mug I ripped the audio from your video and added it to the compilation.

Sorry this has been such a mess everyone.

4. I'm excited to listen to this when I have solid wifi again!

Thanks for handling it, Damien. I am currently sipping a Coke (on the rocks) while sitting poolside on a cruise ship in Greece. Mmmm!

5. No reviews yet?! :-)

6. Things So Impossible

I'll be posting my review tonight when I get out of work. Great job everyone!

bradsonemanband likes this.
  7. bptky

check out Musica - Akron's best live music venue

Nice job on Warbrain, I'm glad someone was able to put in the time and quality that one deserves. Hoping to get back up and running soon so I can maybe record for the next one.

JakeRabin likes this.
  8. Things So Impossible

This comp turned out great! I think it's a really cool snapshot of Alkaline Trio's career as a whole though it would've been cool to get some more Dan songs ( I really wanted to do Love, Love, Kiss, Kiss but I prefer to only submit one song per comp).

@JakeRabin - Perfect way to open the comp, so props to you, and to Damien for choosing the order. This could be Alk3's most rockin' song so it's cool that you retained their energy so well. Great instrumentation, great vocals, great cover.

@ricklightning - You cover of this song should be on the Drive soundtrack. This is brilliant and probably my favorite on the comp! I always have tons of respect for the people who can completely re-imagine a song. Again, this is ridiculously inspired and awesome.

@bradsonemanband - Love this. Most of your covers that I've heard haven't been acoustic, so this is a real treat. The lead riffs are my favorite part, though your harmonies are on point too. Your covers always excel at really setting a tone and atmosphere. I also like that you changed the chord progressions. Great work!

@elemenohpe - Your covers are always enjoyably high energy, and I'm glad for that because they balance the comp with the mellow covers that I and others often do. Like with Brad's, I'm really digging the leads and the vocals in this. Especially love the effects on the "Wasting our time" part toward the end. This cover is very well done.

@Ugly Mug - Thank you for representing My Shame is True! I feel like that record was underappreciated when it came out. The video you posted of you playing this was especially enjoyable because this is such a fun song and it's cool to see you rock out with it. Your vocals are so smooth and fit well with the open tuning; this cover almost sounds like it could be an oldie done on a beach with a ukulele. Now I want to hear an entire Alk3 cover album full of crooners.

@Trio182 - This is really, really pretty. I like that you slowed it down from the original. This is one of my favorites from MSIT and I think you did it justice. The shimmery-ness of your guitar makes your cover sound quite full. I especially like the pause you did at the end, before the final lines. Great job filling this with emotion!

@Jdaniels - I like that you took Alk3's arguably most well-known song and changed the chord progressions; it's interesting to hear this so upbeat! I especially like the fuzziness toward the end. I think the lo-fi sound works well with this song.

@recall reality - Here's a toast to you for being the sole representative of Dan Andriano on this comp. I love this song and I love this cover; it's one of my favorites on the comp. You nailed the hell out of the music here. The vocals are well done too ( you sound like Dan at points), but the music just blows me away. I love the energy!! The drums, the organ(?), and MY GOODNESS the guitar riffs between the first chorus and the second verse. Genius. This is a top notch cover.

@JakeRabin - Your songs really do bookend the comp quite well. Again, great musicianship. I REALLY love the folky feel of the intro. The harmonies and background vocals, especially during the chorus, sound almost exactly like Dan so I'm not sure what wizardry is going on there but it's great. Speaking of vocals, I'm not sure what it is but my favorite part of your song is the "Whoa oh ohs" in the bridge. Your vocals sound really good there in particular. And I love your choice of tone for the guitar for the solo. Are there two guitars there? I just can't say enough about this cover. The more I listen to it, the more I think I prefer it to the original. Really great job dude!

Fantastic job peeps! @Damien Davies I can't thank you enough for taking control of this for the sake of the rest of us. I don't think this ended up as a mess. Thanks for sending out the reminders; I can only imagine the effort it takes to wrangle these covers. Also, you did a great job ordering the songs on the comp. You're a real hero!

PS: I just realized you don't have a song on the comp. Why?

9. ricklightning

CompaƱero

Seeing the track list of this comp it made me realize that I had missed so much of Alkaline Trios discography. The only songs I was really familiar with beforehand was my own pick, Stupid Kid, She Lied To The FBI and Radio. Hearing your contributions made me inclined to check out all the things I missed!

@JakeRabin
    I'm not familiar with the original song, but damn you made me wonder what I have missed! I really like the production, especially how you got the drums sounding so full and energetic. Really drives the song!

ricklightning
    I see these compilations as an opportunity for me to always try and learn new things that I have never done before. From the songs I have done so far this was the most rewarding for myself. This was the first time I ever tried to use vocoder and also the first time I built a whole song around synths+samples. Coincidentally this was also the first time that I was really pleased with how the result turned out. :)

@bradsonemanband
    Apart from Time To Waste this is my favorite song by Alkaline Trio, and I love that you took it in a completely new direction. At first I had to check if this really was the right song I was listening to! :D

@elemenohpe
    Really digging this! I especially like how you managed to get the chorus going with the lead vocals and the background vocals filling in. I would never dare to tackle those high "Wasting our time" lines you are singing.

@Ugly Mug
    I always look forward to hear your covers and I am glad that you managed to send one in after all. Hard not to be singing along. So upbeat and cheerful. Great job!

@Things So Impossible
    If I didnt knew beforehand that this was an Alkaline Trio cover I would have thought that this was an acoustic rendition of some late 90s alt-rock song (I mean that in a really positive way!). I love your voice. It got me sold on the song immediatly.

@Trio182
    The way you recorded the song really fits the mood and how scaled down it is. The roomyness adds greatly to the atmosphere you are conveying.

@Jdaniels
    I have to mirror what Things So Impossible said about the lo-fi fuzziness at the end of the song. Especially digging the energy of the outro from 03:50 onwards.

@recall reality
    Nice work! My favorite part of the song is the build up before the chorus when you sing "Lets walk home.." together with the organ + toms.

@JakeRabin
    I understand the pressure from having to be both the opener and closer, but I think you really delivered! :) Once again really good production work. I especially like the details with the background vocals and the subtle lead guitar (that guitar tone!).

JakeRabin and bradsonemanband like this.
  10. JakeRabin

I'm tired.

That's not two guitars in the guitar solo, just one. With A LOT of reverb. Also it's funny that you say my vocals sound a lot like Dan's, because my overall vocal inspiration is Skiba. So while striving for one I hit the other. SUCCESS KINDA!

Damien Davies likes this.
  11. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

Start posting suggestions for the next compilation guys. It's mixtape time~

12. Yes! Thanks for posting this! I will be able to spear head it again now that I'm home sweet home. If we can all agree on a small handful of mixtape ideas, I'll put up a poll at work today.

13. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

Emo
    Songs from Movies/Stage

14. Drive Thru Records bands

elemenohpe and bradsonemanband like this.
  15. JakeRabin

I'm tired.

Emo
    Songs By Those Who Have Passed
    Songs from the Year You Were Born
    Songs from Tony Hawk Pro Skater Games
    Before They Were Big (songs by bands prior to their breakout record)
    Summer Music 2017
    Stealing The Covers (Covers of Covers)

16. redwing91007

Next Show - Foals April 22nd

I second all of these

JakeRabin and bradsonemanband like this.
  17. I definitely like the suggestions Drive Thru Records bands, Songs from Movies, and Songs from the Year you were Born. There could be some really interesting ones we could do (especially the latter two.)

18. Wall Of Arms

LIGHTEN UP, BUTTERCUP Prestigious

I feel like the latter two of those three would encourage more participants for sure - broader range of music to tackle.

19. For sure

20. recall reality

"But existing is basically all I do!" Prestigious

Songs from Movies sounds like a blast, though I realized the song that came to mind for me is from TV. Songs from the Screen?

21. 1. @JakeRabin "Warbrain" - Duuuuuude this cover rules! One of my favorite Alk3 songs and you totally did it justice. Great opener too! Good job on the track placement @Damien Davies
    2. @ricklightning "Burn" - I seriously this so much! This song totally works in this style. So good! Shit!
    3. bradsonemanband "Stupid Kid" - This was the first Alkaline Trio song I ever heard so I immediately wanted to cover it. I originally wanted to an electronic/atmospheric version of the song, but it wasn't really working. Then I started randomly jamming it on my acoustic guitar, liked what I was doing enough and then recorded the main foundation of the song in just one take. You probably can't tell, but I didn't know how I was going to end it so I just kind of winged it. Hopefully it's not too obvious that I didn't know what I was doing, haha.
    4. @elemenohpe "Fall Victim" - Another awesome cover from you! You're always on point and 100 emoji. Loved this one!
    5. @Ugly Mug "She Lied to the FBI" - This song totally works acoustic. I love it!
    6. @Things So Impossible "Mr. Chainsaw" - Another flawless cover from you, and it helps that it's also one of my favorite Alk3 songs. Your voice is just too good. Let's trade voices! haha
    7. @Trio182 "Until Death Do Us Part" - This is beautiful. Great work all around! Alkaline Trio songs totally work acoustically and all slow like this. It really makes the moody lyrics shine.
    8. @Jdaniels "Radio" - How can you have an Alkaline Trio tribute album without "Radio" on it? Glad we had someone take it on! Great cover man
    9. @recall reality "You've Got So Far To Go" - I'm loving this so much! The ending is perfect with the rapid guitar strumming. Solid cover!
    10. JakeRabin - Totally different vibe from your first track, which really shows off your talent. You rule so much!

Super solid compilation here, everyone! You made dad proud, haha.

Jdaniels, JakeRabin and ricklightning like this.
  22. ricklightning

CompaƱero

My favorite ideas are Emo, Songs From Movies and Songs from the Year You Were Born. Emo is the one that I look forward to the most!

JakeRabin likes this.
  23. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

Songs from the year you were born would be very fun.

24. I think we can all agree that both of these options would be great. So now vote for the one you want to do the most!

https://goo.gl/EEfCpj

25. elemenohpe

Irregular Prestigious

I went with stage and screen because:
    1) Drive-Thru wasn't an option :(
    2) I researched songs from my birth year last time it was a possibility and I found very little that peaked my interest.
    3) Get Schwifty is a jam.