Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chorus.fm’s Top 50 Albums of the 2010s • Page 4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 9, 2019.

1. zeketheplmbr

When all I wanna know is how to disappear Supporter

Frank Ocean - Blonde needs some love.

2. BelieF

Regular

Just some records I remember having on repeat this decade. Joyce manor s/t, MoBo YGMIA, Turnover PV, Transit L&F, Circa Survive BN. Also thinking back I realized some bands I only like EPs, is a top 50 eps list pointless? Idk idk

Ska Senanake likes this.
  3. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

#1 album of the decade for me. Not particularly close.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  4. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Out of curiosity, how close was Southern Air or Integrity Blues to making this list? I was surprised to see them both not make the cut. Nice work on the list - I don't vibe with much of the top 10 but I do think that you guys did a good job of taking a huge selection of albums and putting this together.

anonimito, Aaron Mook and David Parke like this.
  5. I was also surprised, but not mad it it. TKOL is underrated.

Mary V likes this.
  6. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

I mean I’m a paramore fan. I like/love most of their stuff...just not that. And that’s basically an album of Paramore pretending to be most of my other favorite bands lol

7. I had both on my list — The King of Limbs at #1 and A Moon Shaped Pool at #28. I’m a Radiohead super fan so the band would end up on my list somewhere! TKOL clicked with me over time and I grew as a music fan by letting it be a slow burner. It also resonates with me on an emotional level. I’ve spoken about this before but Separator is a song that’s pulled me out of panic attacks, and for that, the entire album means a hell of a lot to me.

Now, I won’t speak for everyone, but I see A Moon Shaped Pool as a beautiful album that’s so close to being great. The atmosphere and reworked songs are wonderful. Decks Dark is one of my favourite Radiohead songs of all time. But, The Numbers and Tinker Tailor... hold back the album and that’s a real shame. I skip those songs every time. If I could get over those quibbles, it would’ve been higher in my list.

Ska Senanake likes this.
  8. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

That album topped the Pitchfork list and has ranked high on virtually every other decade list that has come out so far. i don't think it's going unheralded by any stretch of the imagination.

Southern Air was around 58. Surviving was around 61. Integrity Blues was at 70.

9. AMC

Regular

I don't understand all the Beyonce love

10. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

No disrespect to Surviving, but honestly wild that it would beat out Integrity Blues.

11. tyler2tall

Trusted Supporter

Here’s my quick list in no particular order

American Love - Bad Rabbits
    When You’re Through Thinking Say Yes - Yellowcard
    My Dinosaur Life - Motion City Soundtrack
    Enemy of the World - Four Year Strong
    Vessel - Twenty One Pilots
    The Upsides - The Wonder Years
    Listen and Forgive - Transit
    Real Talk - Man Overboard
    Save Rock and Roll - Fall Out Boy
    A Place of our Own - Have Mercy
    American Candy - The Maine
    Future Hearts - All Time Low
    Clouded - This Wild Life
    The Front Bottoms - The Front Bottoms
    Paramore - Paramore
    Saved - Now Now
    Some Nights - Fun
    Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness
    Strange Desire - Bleachers
    Online Relationships - The 1975
    We Don’t Have Each Other - Aaron West
    Transgender Dysphoria Blues - Against Me

12. tyler2tall

Trusted Supporter

bachna84 likes this.
  13. Listened to After Laughter and I don't really think it's for me, but I'll give it another chance at some point

Gonna try to listen to the other records from this list that I haven't heard in the coming months though. But weirdly enough of the top 29 albums on this, the only one I hadn't heard was #1

14. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Surprised at not seeing either Copeland record, Sturgil Simpson's A Sailor's Guide record, 68's Two Parts Viper, ANY FOALS (Total Life Forever!!!), or the Gayngs record. Great list though, I definitely agree with a lot of it.

anonimito likes this.
  15. I’ll post it somewhere tomorrow probably twitter

16. Jay Evan

I've Made A Huge Mistake

Was wondering the same question, can’t help to think that it would be on the list if a certain person hadn’t been awful to women; that being said it’s not possible for all folks to separate, at least not yet.

17. Ellite25

Regular

Same. I can’t think of a single song I like by her. It seems like everyone talks about her and I don’t know a single person that actually likes her more recent music. Obviously that’s anecdotal of course because there are many that do. But like I hear more talk about her music by critics, or with Lemonade it was more about the story behind the music than the music itself. I don’t even recall her more recent music charting that high on billboard in terms of singles.

18. paperlung

there's no place like my room Supporter

War paint - the dangerous summer
    Simple math - Manchester orchestra
    Much love - microwave
    Damn - Kendrick Lamar
    On the impossible past - Menzingers

acid rap - Chance the rapper
    After laughter - Paramore
    Lp3 - American football
    Back on top - front bottoms
    blonde - Frank ocean
    Dig up the dead - mansions
    Hurry up we're dreaming- m83
    Keep you - pianos become the teeth
    Low teens - every time I die
    Oxymoron - schoolboy q
    Plastic cough - great grandpa
    Wildlife - la dispute
    You're always on my mind - a great big pile of leaves
    You're gonna miss it all - modern baseball

Just scrolled through my itunes and here's some off the top of my head. So much good music to choose from. I remember laying in bed listening to a ton of these in college, especially war paint and simple math.

Ska Senanake likes this.
  19. pbueddi

Trusted

Probably wouldn't be a popular pick, and it just came out recently, but I think Order in Decline by Sum 41 was a really awesome record.

20. Seeing Bad Rabbits in another post made me smile. Love that record.

tyler2tall likes this.
  21. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I do but her self titled is the most overrated album of the decade for mine. I have tried so many times and just can't get into it at all outside a couple of songs.

22. DutchDynamite

Don't live your life like a sad country song

Was really shocked not to see Golden Hour on the list!! Easily in my Top3 of the decade. Solid list though.

23. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Great list, my favourite 2010s list I've seen online anywhere.

I think my biggest surprise snub was The Wonder Years' Suburbia. A true 'scene album, massive in popularity, seemed (and still seems) important, and most of all it is just full of classic tunes. If not for a lull in the middle (Summers in PA being the main offender) it would be perfect.

The biggest happy surprise for me was Father John Misty so high up. I felt like staff/contributors here were generally not into FJM. But Honeybear is an absolute classic.

24. The Lucky Moose Dec 10, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 10, 2019)
    The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Sometimes I forget how far I am removed from what appears to be the musical consensus on this site. I haven't even heard most of the albums on this list :chin: Of those I have heard I basically only care for After The Party, Lemonade and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, but even Lemonade and MBDTF aren't my favourites of their respective genres by any means.

I do think that it is not like every other list, which is always a good thing.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  25. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

It might be recency bias, but I personal think Surviving is a superior record to Integrity Blues. Both were on my ballot, but I think you can thank me for the difference in point totals, since Surviving was pretty high on my list and Integrity Blues was more toward the bottom of the 50.

I mean, a certain person WAS awful to women, though. Brand New wasn’t going to be on my list anyway, but there were definitely artists (cough, Ryan Adams) that were on an early draft of my list that I cut because I couldn’t listen to those records after learning things about the artists that made them. For me, it’s less “this person is shitty so they are off my list” (though that’s probably a part of it) than “I can’t see myself wanting to listen to this record in the future, so why would I put it on my list?”

Suburbia was pretty close. Probably one of the next 10 albums. I think what happened there is that the staff members who were really big Wonder Years fans don’t write for us anymore.