Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chorus.fm’s Top 30 Albums of 2020 • Page 5

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Pepetito Jan 7, 2021
    (Last edited: Jan 7, 2021)
    Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Same. I don't really know anyone outside of site that loves Taylor Swift.

2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

This mf said “blog”

irthesteve likes this.
  3. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

LOL, my mistake. Didn't know that was considered so offensive.

4. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I genuinely do not know how this is possible.

5. rockmonster

Loved your list, Craig!

Jason Tate likes this.
  6. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

LOL, I know right? Starting to think I'm the outlier.

7. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I also don’t really know anyone. Not saying that that means anything.

8. Craig Manning

Hey, thanks!

Ha! Maybe.

This is super interesting to me. She's probably one of the few artists I listen to a lot that I know lots of people IRL who are also fans.

9. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Couldn't agree more.

10. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I know a LOT of people who went from being "ironic" fans of Taylor Swift to genuine fans around Red/1989. And I think her two 2020 albums will have a similar effect for the younger generation who were put off by Reputation and the Lover singles.

11. AMC

Regular

Give me 2 songs off the last 2 albums to change my mind.

12. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Invisible String, August or Mirrorball. Exile too

disambigujason and trevorshmevor like this.
  13. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Convince you that she creates music that is objectively good? Seems like an uphill battle, but if you're actually open to it:

ItsAndrew and disambigujason like this.
  14. Craig Manning

Gotta give them “Marjorie.”

15. Toner

A Welshy in London Supporter

Just sat down for 2 hours listening to the Spotify playlist with my wife and reading through the relevant description when each different song came on. That was about as idyllic as lockdown life gets. I knew a fair bit off the list, but as usual have a whole lot of new stuff to dive in to.

It also speaks volumes that my wife had struggled through the Pitchfork Best of 2020 playlist last week and figured it was a shit year for music until she heard the Chorus playlist just now!

I'm going to copy @bmir14 to give my 2 pence:

Happy for: Caspian (lush to see some post-rock appreciation in the top 30)
    Disagree with: Nothing really - loved the variety on display and plan to check out most of the artists
    Excited to check out: Rina Sawayama, Ruston Kelly (that song gave me Andy Hull / Noah Gundersen vibes and I'm 100% up for that), Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit and Katie Pruitt
    Wanted to see ____ make the list: Acceptance (absolutely shocked this didn't make the top 30, let alone the top 10)

My Top 10

1. Caspian - On Circles
    2. Spanish Love Songs - Brave Faces Everyone
    3. Acceptance - Wild, Free
    4. Abby Gundersen - Sleep Comes Then I Wake
    5. Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher
    6. Protest the Hero - Palimpsest
    7. Coldbones - The Cataclysm
    8. Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia
    9. Dogleg - Melee
    10. Creeper - Sex, Death & The Infinite Void

Best of 2020, a playlist by Richard Toner on Spotify

Although I have only just discovered Katie Malco and Redwood this week and those are both looking to push their way in. Katie Malco in particular is 2020's best kept secret.

p.s. Run the Jewels is missing from the Spotify playlist and has Ariana Grande there in its place

16. Ryan G

Moderator Moderator

I'd love to see your individual list - got it posted anywhere?

17. theredline Jan 9, 2021
    (Last edited: Jan 10, 2021)
    theredline

Trusted Supporter

@Jason Tate Thanks for all the work you do on these every year. I’ve discovered so much amazing music through this site and you. A great example would be the new Dua Lipa album. I knew of her but never gave it a listen and wrote it off as mediocre, run of the mill radio pop. But after reading all the lists and specifically yours I had to give it a listen. My wife was curious too so today we spun it. Very impressed. It’s unique, diverse and really good. The music is amazing (and there’s real instruments). Her voice, phrasing and tone is so good. Thank you for speaking so highly of this album. I have always valued and appreciated your recommendations. And while I definitely don’t always love everything that you do I can alway know that if Jason likes it, it’s worth giving it a listen. And in the case of Dua Lipa I wish I would have listened sooner. But I guess better late than never!

Kevstev, Jason Tate and Toner like this.
  18. Toner

A Welshy in London Supporter

You should check out her Tiny Desk performance from last month too. Such a fun set!

19. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Will do! Thanks!

20. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

81813ACC-A663-4F7F-AE82-634F7B1CC729.jpeg

ItsAndrew, Mary V and Ryan G like this.
  21. Ryan G

Moderator Moderator

Nice, lot I still need to check out from there & 2020 in general. Didn’t listen to too much.

Here’s mine -
    1. Phoebe Bridgers – Punisher
    2. Spanish Love Songs – Brave Faces Everyone
    3. Touché Amoré – Lament
    4. Hot Mulligan – You’ll Be Fine
    5. Taylor Swift – folklore
    6. Taylor Swift – evermore
    7. All Time Low – Wake Up, Sunshine
    8. Ruston Kelly – Shape & Destroy
    9. Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit – Reunions
    10. Brian Fallon – Local Honey
    11. END – Splinters from an Ever-Changing Face
    Check out the END record if you haven’t

Kevstev and Leftandleaving like this.
  22. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Hard to disagree with anything on here! Definitely meaning to listen to end - the singles were bonkers

Ryan G likes this.
  23. What a year! Loved reading this (as always) and was a bit surprised by how many of the albums I really enjoyed didn't make the final cut (my top three were the two by Sault, Mystery Jets, and Hamilton Leithauser). I feel like I'm turning into an old indie music snob over here!

Here's my list over at kennybloggins.net

trevorshmevor likes this.
  24. Totally forgot to ever check out that second Sault record. The first one was really cool though!

25. The second is just as important as the first. Rise is all about the sun coming up after the storm. It's chilling, hopeful, and beautiful (highly recommend listening to both, back-to-back, all the way through).