Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chorus.fm’s Top 30 Albums of 2020 • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 4, 2021.

1. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

Seems pretty on point but I have to point out no Waxahatchee is shocking.

ItsAndrew and CarpetElf like this.
  2. Kevstev

Great list and great work everybody. My favorites not included above are the worst party ever EP and the LPs from Charmer, Hot Mulligan, Dryjacket, and Pinegrove. If Short Fictions waited a few weeks, they would've been my #1 by a lot.

3. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Here are my top hip-hop albums of the year. We had a big discussion in last year's thread about black music being represented on the site, so here ya go...

In no order:
    Polo G - THE GOAT
    Rod Wave - Pray 4 Love
    Lil Uzi Vert - Eternal Atake (Deluxe) - LUV vs. The World 2
    Rico Nasty - Nightmare Vacation
    Freddie Gibbs & The Alchemist - Alfredo
    Denzel Curry - UNLOCKED
    Lil Uzi Vert & Future - Pluto x Baby Pluto
    Juice WRLD - Legends Never Die

4. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I enjoy that album, but I was kind of surprised it got so much shine from most other publications. There were a lot of other albums in the country/Americana space that held my attention more.

5. Hell yeah! Love to see it, thank you for checking that out. I throw together & share a Spotify playlist every year with selections to coincide with each record on my list, and I’m always surprised at who with responds with what they found and loved. The picks are genuine, but I’d like to think there’s always something for everybody else too. Here’s that playlist if it helps you work your way through it all!

Albums of the Year list - 2020, a playlist by Trevor Graham on Spotify

BoldType and Chase Tremaine like this.
  6. JM95

Trusted

Big fan of @Mary V 's irrepressible love for Fetch The Bolt Cutters.

Toner, BoldType, Mary V and 1 other person like this.
  7. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Lol, reading @Jason Tate's blurb about evermore maybe being better than folklore.

[​IMG]

Toner, Serenity Now, bmir14 and 4 others like this.
  8. Been seeing a ton of love for the Rico Nasty record throughout ranking season, adding that to my list of things to get to this week!

xapplexpiex likes this.
  9. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

The track IPHONE is such a banger.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  10. falafelmywaffle

Without music, life would be a mistake. Supporter

No Katie Malco?!

Toner likes this.
  11. AsfAstAswegofar

Regular

Really solid list, would have put Wake up Sunshine more close to the top 10 and petals for armor a little later, also would have added Bring Me The Horizon, Kid Cudi, and Less Than Jake. But Punisher is definitely number one.

12. Toner and falafelmywaffle like this.
  13. The_Pioneer

Regular

Cool seeing Phoebe at #1. Record was a huge step up from her first for me.

2020 had some really good albums, but felt a little disappointing for me for some reason. I feel like I really didn’t discover anyone new and didn’t really get obsessed with a record like I have in previous years.

For what’s it’s worth, here are a few of my favs in a very rough order:

Top tier:
    Sufjan Steven’s - The Ascension
    Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher
    O’Brother - O’Brother
    Land of Talk - Indistinct Conversations

Second tier:
    Sinai Vessel - Ground Aswim
    Tomberlin - projections ep
    Owen - The Avalanche
    Young Jesus - Welcome to Conceptual Beach
    Andy shauf - Neon Skyline
    Fleet Foxes - Shore
    Adrianne Lenker - songs
    Bombay Bicycle Club - Everything else has gone wrong
    Hodera - You’re worth it ep

14. Hodera!! That EP was so good. Consistently awesome artist, I’m hoping whenever he releases another LP that it has a bigger impact around here.

15. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I don't think the year was disappointing for music - but I definitely don't think i was in the free headspace to take in, consume, and lose myself in as much new music as I might have been in years past. this year was all about finding comfort music, for me, which tended to be older albums that i knew i loved and knew brought me some joy. i didn't find myself actively seeking out new music as much this year, i think i only found the Bartees album because of the weekly newsletter.

i didn't do a EOTY list this year but my favorites in on particular order were;
    - Bright Eyes
    - Phoebe
    - Bartees
    - Ruston Kelly
    - Spanish Love Songs

BoldType and trevorshmevor like this.
  16. GSDubs

Happy new years everyone! After 15+ years checking this website every day, I finally did the right thing and got a membership today! This has been the single website (and maybe ESPN) that I’ve checked every weekday of my life haha, through high school, college, med school, residency, and my first full year as a practicing hospitalist, during my 15 minutes of lunch when I don’t have to be all gowned up! Anyways, website means a lot to me.

that being said, this is also the year my eoty list really varies from the site’s! My faves were:

1. The Midnight - Monsters.
    Dance with somebody easily my favorite song of the year. Saw these guys in concert in 2019, best show I’ve been to since the matches back in like 2005.

2. The kid Laroi - fck love.
    Did not think I would like this. Ended up obsessed. No shame.

3. MGK- tickets to my downfall.
    Shocked not to see this on the list! Great pop punk, some hints of hip hop, never really listened to his previous rap stuff, but was in on this.

4. RTJ- 4
    This just came out at the right time, encapsulated everything that was going on when it came out, and was extremely cathartic to just blare from my car speakers coming back from work.

5. All time low - wake up sunshine
    Y’all nailed it. The soundtrack to the summer that never was. What a fun album. My favorite of theirs since so wrong it’s right.

6. Taylor Swift - both new ones. Love the sound, she is just untouchable these days.

those were the full albums I got into most this year. Prob some I missed but those were the ones off the top of my head. Sorry for the long post! Very excited to listen to the rest of the staff picks!

17. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Manger on McNichols is far and away my favorite hip hop tape of the year. All the Boldy tapes are great, but that one stands out. Also rec Rod Wave, Redveil, Your Old Droog and the rest of the Griselda crew. And of course all the albums that constantly get mentioned

18. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

Cool list and a lot of albums I apparently missed. A glaring omission to me is Declan McKenna's album Zeros but I need to catch up on all the ones I haven't listened to to see what I'd boot for that (and there's always subjective taste to take into account).

19. estacey99

Oh yeah, oh yeah, everything is terrible.

if we're able to compare lists, here's mine from 1-30 (already posted in the user forum too)

2020end.jpg

20. In terms of hip hop specifically, I’m looking at ovrkast., R.A.P. Ferreira, redveil, Logic, Action Bronson, Blu & Exile, Freddie Gibbs/The Alchemist, Pink Siifu/Fly Anakin, Polo G, Knxwledge, and Westside Gunn for my favorites of the year. Mac too of course, if we’re still counting that as hip hop. Tons of incredible stuff from hip hop in 2020

I think I missed Rod Wave, adding that to the “check out” list

21. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Here is the Hip Hop Thread’s aggregate AOTY list

22. Oh that's perfect, thanks for sharing!

23. trevorshmevor Jan 4, 2021
    (Last edited: Jan 4, 2021)
    Was sad when I saw I missed the deadline for this by just a few hours. Alfredo woulda taken it. I really cooled on Uzi over the years and don’t know why, seeing as Eternal Atake seems to be universally loved

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  24. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

quoting to highlight this post

xapplexpiex and The Lucky Moose like this.
  25. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

thanks for this, been wanting to expand some of my hip hop listening lately

PauLo, irthesteve and The Lucky Moose like this.