Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chorus.fm’s Top 25 Albums of 2019 • Page 6

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 6, 2020.

1. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I am on board with the root of the critique, this list could use more variety.

2. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

Of course it does but using that preconceived notion to give warnings or bans that you otherwise wouldn’t give , is hypocritical, in my humble opinion.

like I stated like 5 pages ago, these are all just my opinions and at the end of the day no one has to agree with them. It’s fine to say I disagree here’s why (essentially what this post ^ says)

3. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

4. supernovagirl

that’s only part of what’s being critiqued though. It’s not just about what’s being left out it’s actually more about what was being left on

5. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Fine Jimmy Eat World is overrated! You made me say it!

mercury, CarpetElf, Wharf Rat and 6 others like this.
  6. supernovagirl

Okay I’ll surely do that once writers start writing about the music I care about
    But in real talk no one should have to interact with reviews in order to be able to spot problematic shit

like I totally get that y’all are taking the “put more of what you want to see into the world!” “Be the change you want to see” etc route but that route can be silencing and sweeping under the rug of the critiques happening

7. supernovagirl

I guess you’re gonna get banned before me :-O

8. It shouldn't be, it's one actionable way to achieve the stated goal here. Many years ago now we realized how male centric our staff lists were. And it's because of promotion of more female artists that this shifted. And I'd have to check, but I think this list has more women on it than any have in the past.

What I also know is that the more hip-hop focused writers we've had in the past stopped contributing and a big reason was because they didn't feel any support from the community as a whole when they did so they take those pieces elsewhere now. There are other publications with a much larger reader base that engage with those pieces, but would never in a million years post about Hayley Williams, so I get why they'd rather submit their work elsewhere. But that kind of feedback loop is where this sorta thing starts and why there will probably be a new review of Hayley's album here and no one wrote about the SOB X RBE album for us.

9. supernovagirl

Like,
    what I’m not good at: discovering and listening to new music, writing about music, reviewing music
    What I am good at: critiquing pop culture through a critical feminist lens

and that’s what I’m here to do, damnit!!

BirdPerson likes this.
  10. I didn't see anyone say anything close to this.

11. supernovagirl

I guess we’re taking different things from the statements being said then. This is the gist I got from multiple people saying things along the lines of “if you REALLY care and want to change it, then promote the music you like, comment, lift them up, etc etc etc”
    It’s really implying, to me, that you shouldn’t make critiques because you should be interacting with reviews instead?? For some reason?

12. [​IMG]

13. I know you are banned and can't read this but my list is fucking perfect - 15 years running. Thank you.

14. we don't really collaborate - we submit our own lists and points are based on where albums are ranked on lists and then we ranked the overall list based on those points.

15. Literally no one is saying your criticism is invalid, in fact I'm seeing a lot of agreement with your overall point?? But it's beyond me how you can justify arguing that a change needs to be made, only to turn around and absolutely fume when someone suggests you take ANY steps toward making it. I mean isn't that kind of the point? Chorus.fm isn't some impenetrable entity, you have the power to enact change here -- I know I will. But yeah idk, go off, I have no desire to stop you from criticizing anything, sorry if I gave off a different impression

Also for the record, this is not my job. I am not being paid to be here, I wasn't even asked to be here, I wanted to be here because I occasionally enjoy writing long form thoughts about music I like, and feel gratified when people are able to read the pieces I am proud of on a site that I really value having in my life

tyramail and beachdude like this.
  16. Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  17. there were a lot of hip hop albums I liked this year which probably would be all over a top 100 list if went that far - this year I was just drawn to more heavy music

I also really got into more UK rap - at least the mainstream stuff - really liked what AJ Tracey Stormzy Skepta and Slowthai put out as well.

Tyler, clipping. and Denzel Curry probably my top 3 hip hop albums

18. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

I appreciate the sonic diversity of the list...some of it isn't my jam, but that's fine. I might disagree about the placement of some of the artists...sure, but if not for Chorus, i'd still be listening to nothing but heavy pop punk sort of bands and have absolutely no variety. I greatly appreciate @Craig Manning for getting me into the folk/country stuff, it's honestly helped my wife and i bond over music, which has always been a huge passion of mine that she never understood fully, and seeing @Jason Tate taste evolve with bands like The Japanese House, and The 1975, and all the others that put so much work into this to represent the only online community that I choose to be a part of.

anonimito and Jason Tate like this.
  19. What is the end goal of your critique? Is it to see a more diverse EOTY list from the contributors to this website? If that's the end goal, the two ways I see that happening are by introducing the kind of music you'd like to see on the list to the current contributors, or for their to be new contributors that already like that kind of music added. I think I've written already why it's very hard to do the second, especially without the ability to actually pay people, so that's why I do agree with Star Slight's posts about one good way to try and achieve the first. If the end goal is just to raise awareness of this fact, than, by all means, I feel like that's achieved. I'm very aware that I didn't listen to much hip-hop this year as my tastes were much more drawn to synth pop and that dominated my 2019.

But, and this is just me, I don't need someone to tell me my list is "embarrassing" because I spent the year connecting most with stuff like Now Now, Sigrid, Japanese House, Clairo, Hatchie, etc., because an actual good faith discussion around recommendations and new artists to check out that were missed, new genres, underlooked gems, is a great way to have a conversation that isn't purposefully antagonistic and caustic. Someone's personal tastes don't need to be mocked in order to talk to someone about awesome new artists to check out.

20. supernovagirl

Because it’s literally not my job to change it? I’m not a fucking staffer. Lol like what?! Their literal (unpaid, sad) job is to find music and review it.

21. If you really feel this way, that's fine, but as a contributor that tries to be transparent and contribute to the community, it's really hurtful and discouraging to read.

beachdude and Christian Romero like this.
  22. supernovagirl

Lmao y’all just like...really didn’t even read my actual critiques before replying did you? Looking at you @Jason Tate I honestly can’t get very far into that reply before getting very frustrated that you’re outright not understanding my actual critique.

edit I’ve read the whole thing and yeah you’re obviously not even understanding what my critique actually IS so

23. supernovagirl

I do really feel that way. I would be embarrassed to be associated ‘professionally’ with a staff that conducted itself the way it did in this thread.

but I’m one person and that’s my opinion. I’m not trying to be mean to you or anyone else, I’m saying how I would feel if I were in that position right now.

24. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

What is your goal?

25. Ok, then let's go back to first principles: what is your critique? I was under the impression that you thought this list should be more diverse than it was. That's why I asked, "Is it to see a more diverse EOTY list from the contributors to this website?" -- if that's not the case, then correct, I am not understanding what your current critique is.

supernovagirl likes this.