Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chorus.fm’s Top 25 Albums of 2019 • Page 4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 6, 2020.

1. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Who said the person got banned for saying that? And if nobody did, not sure why you're use that figure of speech under the circumstances.

I think there's a big difference between someone saying they disagree with a list (totally understandable, this is so subjective), and telling the people who work hard on a free site they should be embarrassed by their work/opinions.

Craig Manning and Aaron Mook like this.
  2. The user has a history of trolling and being needlessly antagonistic, and was once again warned by a moderator for that same behavior in more threads than one. They were not banned for not liking the list lol

Craig Manning likes this.
  3. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

People get away with a lot more antagonistic stuff in sports threads but hey whatevs

ItsAndrew, bachna84, ChaseTx and 8 others like this.
  4. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

I know who they are and their history of ‘trolling’ but literally what happened was he said if I was a staffer I’d be embarrassed bc this list is bad and then immediately got told to fuck off and banned

y’all can pretend it was about anything other than a crushed ego but it wasn’t

5. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I mean it's only fair that someone posts Aliens Exist's EOTY list so we can mock it as well

6. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I'm sure he'd gladly post it if he could lol

ItsAndrew, bachna84, Ken and 8 others like this.
  7. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

its charli xcx 25 times

8. Tinashe, Madonna, Charli XCX, Lana, LIZ, Ciara, Dorian Electra, Bat For Lashes, Yuna, Tove Lo, Hannah Diamond, FKA Twigs... it has been a solid year for pop despite the lack of releases by some big artists (Rihanna and Lady Gaga especially).

Time for a few hot takes after a first glance:
    - Kind of surprised by this site's reaction to Sigrid's album and her inclusion over other pop releases tbh. I loved her first release but every following single got worse and the album reached Tori Kelly/Alessia Cara levels of beige to me... idk. Perhaps I'll get on board on album 2.
    - Lover turned out to be... fine after the disastrous singles but it's still bloated and the course correction is too blatant for me to fully get into it and the narrative around it. Call me cynical but I'll maintain that Reputation was better in every way.

jorbjorb and Ken like this.
  9. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

And honestly when someone was like we should include only one rapper on our list and it shall be a white one
    The resounding response should have been : y tho

do better next year ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ItsAndrew, tdlyon, CarpetElf and 9 others like this.
  10. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Let's just all plug in things we think people should listen to.

I saw this list on IG and I really liked it. I don't know who he is but he sure has good taste and is handsome. I'm definitely gonna follow.

11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Since the AP days it's been pretty evident that the taste of the staff members making up the EOTY lists has not really lined up with a large portion of the site. One of the earliest posts on Chorus is Craig Manning saying "absolutely no Star Slight" because I did this same exact thing during the 2015 (christ I think?) EOTY lists when there was only one hip hop artist on the list.

It's certainly disappointing to see a lack of rap music on the list, but it's also great to see how the lists have changed and evolved since even a few years ago. I'm shocked to see Lizzo on there. I'm happy to see Clairo and Charly Bliss so high up. Representation within the list is not as diverse or interesting as it should be (and I don't know where the fuck NF even came from to be ranked at all, let alone that high), but I am happy to see that the list is not made up of entirely white male rock groups.

12. mad

I was right. Prestigious

how exactly was the list/ranking put together? was it just a collaborative thing with the individual contributors?

jorbjorb likes this.
  13. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

Other than my disappointment about the distinct lack of powerviolence and death metal, this list is about what I'd expect from an aggregated Chorus list in 2019 and the albums I listened to on it align pretty well with how I feel about them.

I wouldn't put JEW at #1, but it'd definitely be in my top 25. Jason's feelings about Hello Exile echo mine perfectly - there are some good songs on there mired by some off-putting production relative to ATP. They need to move on from Yip ASAP. I'm also happy Greet Death got the nod at 25. That album is a banger, and the band is probably my favorite non-metal discovery of the year.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  14. Looking at the list again and finding artists to catch up to is fun. I haven't made a personal list because there still are so many 2019 albums to check out. My most recent and late discovery was Weyes Blood, and it already made me change the order I had in my favorites.

Fucking Dustin and Nate_Johnson like this.
  15. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

16. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Weyes Blood is my #1 I've listened to that album so much this year

17. Oh I need to give Lingua Ignota a listen too

18. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

I love your spotify lists you do each week...any chance of seeing more of that in 2020 for other Chorus recs? This list of top albums would be a great playlist for all of us to have. I do it myself anyway, but could still be a cool way for you to share stuff on multiple platforms outside of the writeups.

19. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

jorbjorb likes this.
  20. Best reply. Best album.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  21. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

It’s a good listen. From what I know of you you’ll like it

22. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Everyone says 2019 wasn't a great year for hip hop but hot damn, there were some really good releases. I really liked new freddie gibbs / madlib, denzel curry, dreamville album, danny brown, griselda, gang starr, 03 Greedo, dababy, kevin gates, jpegmafia, big k.r.i.t., tyler the creator. And let me throw out SiR even though he is R&B for the best R&B record i've heard since his last one in 2018 lol. Can't wait for new Kendrick this year though. He is legit the GOAT.

Chase Tremaine and tyramail like this.
  23. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Oh it absolutely wasn't a bad year, I just don't think that there was a consensus pick that everyone could get behind. We were all over the place

trevorshmevor likes this.
  24. Brockhampton/Kevin Abstract were my two favorites, but I don't think either made any other contributor's list

irthesteve and tyramail like this.
  25. Brodobaggins34

They fixed your brain when you were young.

I was into Brockhampton a lot too. Also really enjoyed Malibu Ken.

Aaron Mook likes this.