Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chorus.fm’s Top 25 Albums of 2019 • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I think my favourite aspect of the album is that it doesn't have any low points. ATP had higher highs and lower lows (particularly in the middle) whereas HE is probably their most consistent album. Time will tell if any tracks become absolute top-tier Menzingers classics -- I could imagine Anna, Strain Your Memory and Farewell Youth reaching that level.
    But I agree they need to change producers. Not only have they pushed the current sound about as far as it can go without diminishing returns, but Yip's production got worse from ATP to HE. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

2. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Oso Oso, Pup, JEW, The Maine, The Dangerous Summer...I agree with a lot of the choices on this list. NF being on this list is pretty surprising. I agree with everyone above me.

3. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

Loved lots of these records! As always, when The National releases new music, it’s a shoe in for my number one. 2019 was a weird music year for me. For some reason I was super anxious that every record I was anticipating would let me down, and almost none of them did. Noah Gundersen floored me, BOCC was exactly what I wanted, dug the Menzingers record enough.

Blink-182 was the only record that I anticipated but just couldn’t find anything to like about it. That’s just me probably being over whatever that formula is now, cause it’s not like Tom did anything impressive either.

4. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I hope you do too! Austin had a ton of people, but most were very disrespectful unfortunately.

5. I like the worst of ATP more than the best of HE though, so that’s why I have arrived where I am about it.

6. that's my favorite one too

7. I only listened to the new menzingers album once or twice - it did not grab me at all

Christian Romero likes this.
  8. Excited to add a bunch of new things to my list to check out this week.

Zip It Chris and Nate_Johnson like this.
  9. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

Haven’t heard of this great grandpa band but sounds like it could be my shit. Will listen tomorrow

10. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I'm always surprised this place isn't more into FKA twigs

Not surprised about the lack of hip-hop though lol

11. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Wow. Shocked there is no foals, american football, wallows, andrew bird, local natives, bad books, bon iver, the national, vancouver sleep clinic, FKA twigs, or Brittany howard. Happy to see Copeland and Sturgil though. Also, if you are going to do one hip hop record, why not make it the the obvious choice of Freddie Gibbs and Madlib'd bandana over NF? Regardless, good job making the list.

The_Pioneer likes this.
  12. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I think it was kind've a weird year for hip hop. I felt like I was in a completely other world than the majority of the HH thread, and it hasn't been like that in a while. That's probably why the Wiki album seemed to come out of nowhere as a "favorite" when people posted their lists in there. Not necessarily surprised to not see a consensus album on there. NF is a dork, tho

13. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I thought Young Thug and Tyler the Creator would be somewhere on here

14. GageStillAlive

Still Alive Supply Co. Supporter

Incredibly close to my list! Just missing The National, The Black Keys, and Future Teens.

15. zmtr

Trusted

Clairo - Immunity
    Noah Gundersen - Lover
    Both Big Thief albums

Really liked "Sound & Fury" and "Pony" but kinda forgot about them when making my list.

16. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Always kind of baffled at the things people are surprised NOT to see on our lists. Like, have Foals ever made a Chorus.fm/Absolutepunk list?

Makes sense. I mean, I've only got an overlap of 7 or 8, but my top four are all on here, and my top two and the staff's top two are the same.

paperlung and Nate_Johnson like this.
  17. I enjoyed Tyler, Danny Brown, Madlib, and MIKE this year, but forgot to include the latter two on my list. Also felt less in-tune with hip-hop this year than most previous, but I'm sure there's releases I missed.

18. Also, I think if this list was comprised of every single release every person in this forum expected to be there (obviously impossible), it would be a boring list. The unexpected picks that turn people onto something new are what keep our lists fresh, imho

19. aliens exist

pure on main

if i was a staffer i would simply admit that this list is bad

and embarrassing

ChaseTx likes this.
  20. noKings

Regular

Was this a bad year for country/pop or did the contributors change? Just wondering because I agree with this list more than prior ones.

21. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Lol, go fuck yourself.

Extraordinarily weak year for country, IMO.

paperlung, RileyWitiw and Aaron Mook like this.
  22. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Having seen them in Toronto repeatedly over the years, their recent show was the biggest and most enthusiastic I've seen, so I think it must be pretty variable.

JRGComedy likes this.
  23. *List has Clairo at #4*

*calls list bad*

24. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I could not get into Clairo.

I think I may be the only one on this site.

SpyKi likes this.
  25. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

Wait so calling this list bad is a bannable offense now?! well then go ahead and ban me I guess because this list honestly IS embarrassing for more than one reason but go off

ItsAndrew, bachna84, ChaseTx and 5 others like this.