Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chorus.fm’s Top 25 Albums of 2019 • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 6, 2020.

1. serotonin Jan 6, 2020
    (Last edited: Jan 6, 2020)
    serotonin

who told you this room exists? Supporter

It's not a fair assessment because there's a lot more on Aquarium Drunkard's top of 2019, and most of that I've never heard of, but for me, there was still more of what I loved on that list. Not a complaint towards Chorus at all, there's good stuff to love everywhere for different people and there's plenty to love on the Chorus list. I just lean more indie a lot of the times. There's only one that I found shocking it made any best of 2019 lists, but to each their own.

zmtr likes this.
  2. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Definitely a few things on this year's list I'll need to check out - as I haven't been as proactive about finding new music this year (or probably the past few).

The album that topped my 2019 list, and would encourage others to listen to, even if they are familiar with their older stuff, was The Appleseed Cast's The Fleeting Light of Impermanence. I've always liked their music, but this was their first release to truly blow me away!

3. That record really is pretty great. Didn’t spend enough time with it to feel like I needed to represent it on my list, but I agree that it went a little overlooked this year!

4. Really hope people listen to Clairo because it's been widely underrepresented on lists that aren't Pitchfork or here

edit: also Orville Peck, which, yes, I wrote about both. Greet Death while you're at it lmao

5. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I'm always shocked how much stuff the AD lists have that I just haven't ever heard of. They're definitely the pub that makes me feel the most out of touch. I don't usually delve very deep on those lists, though, because the stuff I do recognize tends to be mostly indie stuff that I'm not super into.

Which four are overlaps for you here?

6. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

The Menzingers at 21 is....ugh.

CAC3 and Steeeve Perry like this.
  7. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Don't look at me, I had it at 4.

8. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I am now convinced Hello Exile is super underrated. It's fantastic. Glad to see Mother Nature so high up though. Those two, Oso Oso (well represented) and Vampire Weekend (seems like it's been forgotten but I really dig it) would be my favourite albums of the year for sure.

NF so high up is definitely... something

9. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

NF being basically the only hip-hop on here is wack as hell.

DarkHotline, btr, phaynes12 and 14 others like this.
  10. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I’m just surprised that if only one was going to included, that it would be this one.

11. I didn't listen to much hip-hop at all this year. Felt the pull in a bunch of other directions. But, if anyone has great hip-hop albums from the year, drop 'um in the thread, always looking to check out great new music.

12. I had it at 22 on my list, so I think it's just about right. It's a good album, some of the songs are great, but my biggest takeaway from it was just how desperately they need to work with a new producer. I almost think it's imperative for the band's continuation at this point.

13. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

YBN Cordae was my personal favorite.

paperlung likes this.
  14. Zilla Jan 6, 2020
    (Last edited: Jan 6, 2020)
    Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Tyler, The Creator's IGOR was flawed, but definitely one I came back to often. I also dug Boogie's "Everything for Sale," DaBaby's "KIRK," Rapsody's "Eve" and Meghan Thee Stallion's "Fever" mixtape. Those are the kind of Pitchfork-approved albums that I got around (I admit I didn't dive as deep this year into hip-hop as other years. I just have a bad reaction to NF because he's definitely an artist people cite him as a "rapper for people who don't listen to rap." And his flow bites Eminem's real hard.)

15. These lists are great! I look forward to this each year.

Happy to see JEW make it but was actually surprised, as I didn't know other folks thought of it so highly as well. I noticed Cape Francis hasn't been talked about, neither has Tora or Guster. I highly recommend to check these out...they all made it onto my list (see below or read full thoughts on each via the link under my avatar).

Can't wait to check out Big Thief and Clairo, plus giving a bit more attention to Copeland. Here's my list:

1. Guster - Look Alive
    2. Liam Gallagher - Why Me? Why Not.
    3. Tora - Can't Buy the Mood
    4. Noah Gunderson - Lover
    5. Foals - Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost [Part 2]
    6. Jimmy Eat World - Surviving
    7. Thrice - Palms
    8. The Japanese House - Good at Falling
    9. The Black Keys - Let's Rock
    10. Cape Francis - Deep Water

16. Anderson Paak, Boogie, Big K.R.I.T., Tyler, and Flying Lotus were all at various spots in my personal list, but yeah other than those I wasn’t taken with a ton of hip hop this year. Earl woulda been on there but I was trying to avoid EPs. Gunna, YBN Cordae, and Goldlink didn’t really stick with me much but listened to them a ton during their release weeks

17. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

The 03 Greedo & Kenny Beats album was really great

DarkHotline likes this.
  18. slickdtc Jan 6, 2020
    (Last edited: Jan 7, 2020)
    slickdtc

Regular Supporter

1. Better Off - Reap What You Sow
    2. Grayscale - Nella Vita
    3. Crown Vic - Life Saver EP
    4. sleep in. - The Stars on Your Ceiling
    5. Origami Angel - Somewhere City
    6. Origami Button - Button Season EP
    7. Heart Attack Man - Fake Blood
    8. Sleep Talk - Everything in Colour
    9. Crafter - Lasting Efforts
    10. In Her Own Words - Steady Glow

Honorable Mentions:

Free Throw
    Bilmuri
    Counterparts
    Bayside
    Microwave
    Comrades
    Gideon

Chase Tremaine and Nate_Johnson like this.
  19. Thrice was 2018 ;-)

KennyBloggins likes this.
  20. I should have included a *note for Palms — it didn’t click with me in 2018 (so didn’t make my list last year) but has become a huge part of my life this year. I’ve been such a big fan of Thrice for the last 15 years so I couldn’t leave it out.

21. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

Clipping- there existed an addition to blood

22. CAC3

Dog

Oh my god, this Sigrid album is so good! Pop perfection. Really love ‘In Vain’.

Sad to see the Menzingers so low.

Jason Tate likes this.
  23. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I just hope we get another Menzingers album! Crowd was terrible at my show in November

Jason Tate likes this.
  24. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

try out Earthgang

paperlung likes this.
  25. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

That sucks, I finally get to see them in South Australia in March, hoping for a great show (and enthusiastic crowd).