Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chorus.fm’s Top 25 Albums of 2019 • Page 10

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 6, 2020.

1. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

found it through this list and I'm in love

paperlung, Mary V, T.J. and 1 other person like this.
  2. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Not true. There are a lot of female artists I adore, and a lot that deserved their spot near the top of those lists this year and in years past. Lizzo and Clairo put out some of my favorite tracks of the year.

However, if a list was 90% male, it wouldn't surprise me the way a 90% female list does, simply because men have been afforded those opportunities for so much longer than women have.

Would a 90% male list surprise me in 2019/2020? You bet. You'd have to assume at that point that female talent was being purposefully ignored. Which is what annoyed me about a 90% female list - you can safely assume that male talent was being ignored in favor of the perception of equality across the board.

Of course it was pandering. Look at traditionally male dominated fields like metal or hip-hop - no wonder they still remain male dominated, because women haven't seen themselves represented nearly well enough at the top of those fields. Publications like Kerrang!, Revolver or AltPress never feature the diversity they should, because their readership isn't as diverse as a Pitchfork or a chorus.fm, and their readership is being pandered to.

But again, lists being 90% male in the past is a reflection of the opportunities afforded to both in previous times. Inclusivity is hugely important, but overcompensation is, on principle alone, a turn off to me.

[​IMG]

3. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Could just be that women have released a lot of amazing music?

Go figure

4. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

And generally more interesting music lol

5. CConard

conardist.com

Good list, don’t agree with Billie Eilish at all. She’s just...no. Nick Cave should definitely be on here, and surprised to not see Post Malone. Up until Hollywood’s Bleeding I couldn’t stand him but that album is truly terrific.
    You guys should also do the best soundtracks of the year! There were so many wonderful film scores from this year!

6. CConard

conardist.com

Also forgot The Devil Wears Prada and Allegaeon, show metal some love!

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  7. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

I disagree with your music takes in general but like everyone has their own opinion so it's cool, but yeah I'd LOVE to see soundtrack lists sometime, I think that could be cool

beachdude, Kingjohn_654 and CConard like this.
  8. CConard

conardist.com

Great point. An artist should do it like Caleb Shomo has done w/ Beartooth. Sadly, a lot of rappers are chasing clout by pretending to be chronically depressed. SuicideBoys is one of the worst things to ever happen to civilization.
    As a musician, let me say that when I’m depressed or anxious, I can’t begin to write. Am I saying all are phoneys? Definitely not. It’s actually pretty easy to tell who is intentionally putting suggestions of suicide into their lyrics in order to appear edgy.
    Sorry for the rant, I totally agree but artists must share their fears in a healthy way w/ their audience. That’s why I listed Beartooth, they’ve given me so much strength.

9. CConard

conardist.com

Oh yeah! I’ve been spinning my vinyls for “The Lighthouse”, “Joker” and “Midsommar” non stop!

10. CConard

conardist.com

I’m so behind on hip hop too, I just don’t like mumble rap at all. Production is a big factor for that, I loved trap when guys like T.I. were getting it right but now every mainstream beat is exactly the same, rattling snares and boring electronic pads on top.

11. CConard

conardist.com

It’s just changed so much! I feel like an old man yelling at a cloud I just bump OutKast, Eminem, Jay, 50, The Game, Dr. Dre, Snoop and all the “old” stuff. I haven’t truly loved a new hip hop artist since Kendrick. I like Posty but I also don’t really consider him a rapper, he’s pop IMO.

12. CConard

conardist.com

Chris Brown will never be the number one anything. His entire catalogue is mediocre to painful, which would be one thing if he wasn’t such a horrific person. I know your point was about something else, I just had to diss Chris Brown

supernovagirl likes this.
  13. Sal Paradise

Trusted

I really should give JEW another listen. I just am not drawn into them the way I used to be. Also pretty shocked Better Oblivion Community Center didn’t make the cut, but having said that I haven’t listened to at least half these albums, so maybe I just don’t know what I’m missing out on.

14. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

It wouldn't have been hard to ask the hip hop/r&B/etc. threads for recommendations like two months before making this list lol these excuses aren't really cutting it

many people here are very, very knowledgeable about a wide variety of hip hop and R&B, we can help you nerds lol you don't have to rely on indie rock sites to provide you that one album a year

15. Hmm I recognize that username

16. T.J.

music and baseball.

i'm really listening a piano burn. huh

17. paperlung

there's no place like my room Supporter

Great grandpa. All. Damn. Day. They are so good, and if they come to your town 100% go see them.

T.J. and CarpetElf like this.
  18. The Lucky Moose

It’s telling that my post was only acknowledged by the people from the threads I recommended

19. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

its quite telling that no one at all acknowledged my jazz post. smfh

20. The Lucky Moose

I’m intrigued, what’s this years best white Christian Jazz album

21. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Christian (McBride) - The White Album

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  22. VanderlyleCrybaby

Regular Supporter

I know this was brought up earlier, but I'm still really surprised the new Menzingers album is so low. I would put songs like High School Friend, Last to Know, Strangers Forever, I can't Stop Drinking, and Farewell Youth up there with everything they've done. Maybe it's because I don't mind the production though, I could see the vocals being an issue for people.

RileyWitiw likes this.
  23. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

After the Party felt, to me, like destroying the well that they were continuously going back to. Growing up, maturing, etc. I was hoping to see a change in direction but HE is just more of the same. Not bad, just nothing to return to when the rest of their catalogue exists.

24. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I tend to enjoy Yip’s production most times, but they definitely need to work with someone else next time.

VanderlyleCrybaby likes this.
  25. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Lmao