Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chorus' Favorite Game Bracket: Round 2 (Part 5 of 8) Video Game • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Shrek, May 21, 2020.

1. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

FF X
    Persona 5
    Pokemon
    Hollow Knight

SpyKi likes this.
  2. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Clunky I give you lol but it was definitely pretty deep for its time

and no linear is not bad, I just don’t like linear RPGs usually, unless they find ways to make it feel less linear than it actually is

3. StormAndTheSun

insects come to life Supporter

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    Persona 5
    Marvel's Spider-Man (2018)
    The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Sorry Hollow Knight

4. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I'm all about linear shit tbf, I kinda hate open world games where I can go anywhere and do anything but none of it really interests me. Skyrim is the perfect example of that.

Final Fantasy X was my favourite game for like 10 years, maybe the most time I've ever spent on a single player game.

theagentcoma, Shrek and Colby Searcy like this.
  5. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

FFX does accomplish that though. Just compare it to XIII, which very much does not.

Joe4th likes this.
  6. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Give me all the linear story driven games

theagentcoma, SpyKi and Shrek like this.
  7. Anthony_

Part of the reason I was immediately drawn in to the original Xenoblade Chronicles was how much it aesthetically reminded me of FFX. There’s a clear influence there in terms of the look of the world.

SpyKi and The Lucky Moose like this.
  8. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I love XIII and that game is still way more linear than X. X does a very good job of giving you a better sense of openness and let’s you do things/go back to places later on too.

I’m just super passionate about X haha

theagentcoma, Anthony_ and SpyKi like this.
  9. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

i love a linear RPG, but they barely exist. linear is pretty elastic, though. FFXIII can miss me forever because it is linear to the point of being devoid of exploration. i don't want to be dropped into a fantasy world where i can't play around within it.

i think Dragon's Dogma strikes the balance perfectly. it is a more concise open world that is more of a series of large zones connected by a main path with a lot of branching. they use mountains and bodies of water to cut it into sections rather than letting the map be a blob with a bunch of barren areas that could be where the natural walls of mountains/water are. don't get me wrong, you can just run around and uncover the whole map if you want, but it would really hurt the flow as the quests give good reason to uncover it bit by bit.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  10. Shrek

haha gotta love two opposite FFXIII takes being posted at one moment

Joe4th likes this.
  11. Shrek

i agree but it also would have been one step too far in vetoing other people's thoughts imo. if one of them only got one or two votes it woulda been one thing but they each got at least five i think

12. Oskarr

Needled 24/7

KH2
    Pokemon

13. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Final Fantasy X
    Kingdom Hearts II
    Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal
    Wind Waker

theagentcoma and SpyKi like this.
  14. Anthony_

I mean, most JRPGs are pretty linear, they just hide the linearity with an open world map. You’re still shuttled along a set linear path with minor deviations though.

15. The Lucky Moose

Yeah but that’s enough for me lol

Anthony_ likes this.
  16. Anthony_

Yeah idk, I love Skyrim but if I were going to pick one of those two games back up in 2020 and play through them again I'd go FFX every time. I'd just much rather spend time in that world, with those characters, even with the linearity.

Plus FFX has a lot of great side content and secrets to uncover. Not as many as Skyrim, obviously, but I think it's quality over quantity.

17. The Lucky Moose

I do want to play FF10 on Switch someday when it goes on sale

theagentcoma, Joe4th and SpyKi like this.
  18. The Lucky Moose

Not so much 10-2 though, dumb bundle lol

19. Anthony_

I never played X-2. Even back then I kind of realized that it was so unnecessary to continue that story lol

20. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

X-2 was kinda fun. I got super into some of the cutscenes and story ideas of that one even though it's kinda dumb. Even had the song 1000 Words on my phone. Good times.

21. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

X-2 has the best combat system of FF. The story is eh but that gameplay is so much fun

22. GBlades

Trusted

Thats the only thing not making me pick it up for Switch, still £44.99.

23. Shrek

sorry for being almost a full day late on this y'all. got a lot more on my plate now than when i started this. appreciate the patience. results going up in a min - two tiebreakers in this one uh oh

24. Shrek

man this one sucked to do. tiebreaker results and logic:

- Skyrim beats FFX. in their original releases, the Metacritic score is very clearly in favor of Skyrim.
    - Spider-Man over Pokemon Gen II because, well, Gen II has no MC score and there is no real fair way to weight it. given that Gen II has extra representation in the form of HeartGold/SoulSilver, could be worse.

results:

upload_2020-5-24_23-10-42.png

Colby Searcy likes this.
  25. Shrek