Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Childish Gambino - 3.15.20 (March 22, 2020) Album • Page 23

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by tdlyon, May 5, 2018.

1. zachmacD

Trusted

yeah, I don't love Awaken my love either but I'm surprised there's confusion about when he got so popular:

He has a stand-up special which is on Netflix ( I will say it hasn't aged well but was hilarious at the time)
    Was on Community
    Camp wasn't huge but "Heartbeat" was on the radio and is a great song
    BTI was the top selling rap album the year it came out, I believe.
    "Sober" also got some traction from what I remember
    "Redbone" and Awaken my love were huge
    then he put out This Is America which was also huge and touched on social issues- I honestly hate this song and it felt like a gimmick. Without the video, the song doesn't do much but people ate that shit up.

Anyway, this guy has such a deep catalog of pretty decent content across a bunch of different channels and he keeps breaking through barriers. If you jumped on the Donald glover train at any point, it would be pretty obvious this guy was going to be a star. Very charismatic

People love an underdog/success story and Donald Glover is a great example of that.

beachdude likes this.
  2. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

AML is literally just a love letter to Maggot Brain and there is nothing wrong with that lol. It was pretty bold of him to switch his sound up so drastically and get a huge single out of it when nobody really thought of him as a soul singer. Sure, the album wears its influences on its sleeve, but he never claimed it was this new sound he thought of all himself he pretty clearly said “I wanted to make Maggot Brain so my newborn baby can listen to it” and that’s what he did. Parliament/Funkadelic have like 20 albums and let me tell you, nothing wrong with more music like that lol.

beachdude likes this.
  3. PauLo

43% Burnt

I think you need to go back and read my posts and understand what i'm saying because you appear to be getting worked up over nothing. You're more than welcome to your opinions as I am mine. Like arseholes, we all have them. Sometimes they're shitty. You're more than free to post negative opinions, no one is stopping you. But when they're in a thread of someone who is clearly as well liked as CG, you should expect to be challenged. Especially if they come across as arrogant, which could be argued that you did with stuff like "why would I listen to him when I can listen to D'Angelo"

You can say what you want about CG. Personally, I think you've come across a bit shitty. As you probably do of me. It is what it is. We move on. It's hardly worth getting worked up over. Besides, i'm too old for that shit haha

beachdude likes this.
  4. tvck

Trusted

big oof

beachdude, Rowan5215 and imthesheriff like this.
  5. tvck

Trusted

[​IMG]

beachdude, Rowan5215 and imthesheriff like this.
  6. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

I think this is what self-delusion looks like, lmao. go read your own posts again

7. Rowan5215

cool pce

8. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

lol

9. PauLo

43% Burnt

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill :crylaugh:

beachdude, aoftbsten and imthesheriff like this.
  10. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

We’re having the convo about Gambino but the real genius is Ludwig Goransson

11. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Ludwig and Glover together is just a perfect match.

12. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Kinda interesting: Childish Camino and Donald Glover are both credited on the Beyonce album. Donald when dialogue, Gambino when music.

13. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

The Gambino feature is pretty disappointing, he kind of just sings a little for the last like minute of the song

14. BenSmith94

Trusted

Me, at the Childish show last week: "Soooooo, when he's gonna do La Biblioteca?"

AWasteOfATime likes this.
  15. irthesteve

well this is out of nowhere

16. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Oh shit his Like a Version where he did So Into You was amazing, didn't expect another one

irthesteve likes this.
  17. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Sorry to bump with no news but I’m getting impatient :( at the very least I want studio versions of the songs he’s been playing live

18. brad4846

Regular

I've been waiting forever for algorythm

beachdude likes this.
  19. irthesteve

I finally watched Guava Island a few nights ago and actually loved it, really cool movie

beachdude, aoftbsten and AFoolsGlory like this.
  20. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

you should have seen it at the theater he had at coachella! although I guess the showtimes sucked weekend 1

21. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

We'll definitely get the album by the end of the year. My theory is he wanted to wait until all of his festival dates are done so he didn't have to play any more new songs lol. He also pretty much always drops in November or especially December too

22. irthesteve

don't EVEN get me started. I tried 3 times and they were not nice

23. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

SAME here

24. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

25. Rowan5215

these bumps with no news of the album. they're killing my soul