Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Childish Gambino - Awaken, My Love! (December 2, 2016) Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Jun 17, 2016.

1. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

I really didn't like any of his other music too much but I really like this.

Jake W and beachdude42 like this.
  2. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Sounds way too much like he is trying to be Flying Lotus.

3. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Man I'm so excited to hear the rest of this. Him leaving rap behind on this one was a smart move, his sung stuff has always been among his best work. My friend who went to the Pharos event said the album he heard performed more than lives up to this track, and I'm really excited to see what type of audience he gets.

4. angel paste

have you listened to flying lotus? this really sounds nothing like that, the closest thing would be the Kendrick beat he did and even then that's a stretch

Aaron Mook and beachdude42 like this.
  5. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Very cool, I dig it.

6. angel paste

also want to add sounding like flying lotus is a great accomplishment in itself

Nick likes this.
  7. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Is there a reason everyone assumed he's not rapping on this at all? This is the only song we know of right?

Contender likes this.
  8. manoverboard365

Trusted

He did those Joshua Tree shows back in September where he played the whole album. No phones or recording were allowed, but based on the recaps I've read there is very little rapping on it.

9. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

probably for the best

RobbieBerns likes this.
  10. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Eh. Plods along with some pretty ugly transitions. Not into it much at all. Expected better based on the responses

11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

The introduction/pacing is awkward but one he comes in circa 3 mins I enjoy it. He sounds great and the melody is dope. The lyrics are trite but it's better than cum puns again

SpyKi, RobbieBerns and EngineDown like this.
  12. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

I think this works great as an intro to the album. since this was written mainly for his son, it make sense that it opens with lullaby chimes, and feels like it's bringing me into the vibe of the album. Maybe he should have had the intro as a different song, but that transition melts me and gets me pumped af. Too bad you guys don't enjoy it :shrugs:

Aaron Mook and beachdude42 like this.
  13. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

This is the first Gambino I've listened to since Camp. I liked it a lot, even if it's a bit bloated.

14. beachdude

Yeah I'd be very very surprised if most of the other tracks on the album took this long to get going... I talked to my friend who went to Pharos again today and he basically said this is the introductory statement to the album, and a lot of the other tracks still fit this vibe but aren't nearly as slow-paced with their structure. Personally I love it.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  15. Sybil

Regular

To anyone that knows someone that saw his Pharah show, was it this "funky"? I'm down with whatever he wants to put out, this is alright. Not my fav, but for sure better than stagnating....I think he pulls it off well.

16. beachdude

My friend says there's a lot of soul and funk influence throughout.

17. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

This album is labeled as "R&B/Soul" on iTunes instead of hip-hop

Aaron Mook likes this.
  18. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I feel like I'm not understanding the love for this song. Maybe it's just to weird for me.

19. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

just like....listen harder man

jk it took like like 2/3 times before it clicked. I'm a huge fan of winding/weird songs

beachdude42 likes this.
  20. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I'll admit I'm not one for songs that meander for a long time and that's what I feel like this does.

21. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Absolutely love this. I get huge Pink Floyd/King Crimson vibes when everything kicks in.

beachdude42 likes this.
  22. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

This song is not "weird". Besides the production it's also not very good.

sophos34 likes this.
  23. beachdude

I think as the opener to an album it sets the mood well and has me extremely excited for the rest. I'm not really looking at it as a "single" in the traditional sense, but I think it will hopefully work great as an opener.

24. beachdude

BBC Radio 1 just played "Redbone". Fantastic soul track, the pitched-up vocals take a bit to get used to but it's pretty great.

25. shouts23

Hi, I'm Negan ;)

Gambino :heart:

beachdude42 likes this.