Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Childish Gambino - 3.15.20 (March 22, 2020) Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by tdlyon, May 5, 2018.

1. Some 9 out of 10 times I feel like "visual albums" are gimmicky and bad but I'd love an album full of videos on par with This Is America.

beachdude42 likes this.
  2. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I played the song at work with no video, I think even just having the gunshots added would be a big improvement, that transition seems so much less jarring.

The song is good, maybe great even, but the video is on such a high level its going to be hard to separate them.

Anthony_ and beachdude42 like this.
  3. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Honestly I can’t listen to the song without seeing the video in my head the whole time. The imagery is so striking that I can’t separate the two even if I wanted to. Together they’re an insanely effective statement.

4. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

teebs41, Contender and fenway89 like this.
  5. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Love the video, love the song

6. Anthony_

I just got around to reading this thread. Pretty much sums up everything I got from the video/song combo myself as well. Very well put by Justin.

7. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

imthesheriff likes this.
  8. Anthony_

chewbacca110 and fenway89 like this.
  9. enlliac

The Real Azor Ahai

Wonder how the song will fit in with the rest of the album

10. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

yeah, video is truly fantastic. but i cannot get into the song at all. like most of his music.

cwhit likes this.
  11. radiodead

Trusted

This is a good song. The first of his I liked.

12. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Nick and Contender like this.
  13. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

I’ve probably listened to this song close to 15 times already

fenway89 and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  14. Anthony_

Contender, Zilla, Matt Chylak and 2 others like this.
  15. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Going against my last post for this good meme

sophos34, Kyle is hk, flask and 2 others like this.
  16. radiodead

Trusted

People will keep propping up celebrities and putting them under a microscope and continue to wonder why they always fail them.

Kyle is hk, flask, skogsraet and 5 others like this.
  17. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

This might be his best song.

sawhney[rusted]2 and beachdude42 like this.
  18. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

This was a thoughtful piece.

The Carnage and Chaos of Childish Gambino’s “This Is America” | The New Yorker

I think the complexity and variety of readings and perspectives on the video make it too easy to just call it “brilliant” or “amazing” and laud it. It’s more than that in good and bad ways and deserves full engagement, including questioning your initial readings and instincts and feelings, including thinking it’s good or bad, liking or disliking it. I’m ultimately glad for an artist putting out a piece that challenges an audience the way it does, but I’m cautious against the instant lionizations of Glover and the video.

Aregala, St. Nate and incognitojones like this.
  19. marceting

Trusted

This is the Gambino I love. Ya'll can have This is America

20. manoverboard365

Trusted

I think this is up there with Redbone, Sober and Telegraph Ave as his best songs.

beachdude42 likes this.
  21. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Yeah, just like when Me and Your Mama dropped, I’m pretty blown away and the song has been stuck in my head since

beachdude42 and marceting like this.
  22. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

IMO the video succeeds as 'art' because it is so highly polarising, because it has given rise to so many different interpretations. I think there are elements of it that are deeply challenging, discomforting, threatening and controversial to all viewers - certainly as a white, non-American watching it I felt uncomfortable, threatened and confronted by some of the imagery at times, and by my response to the imagery - and to me that's part of why it works. It's a very recent idea that art should fit into a specific box and/or tick a certain number of criteria in order to be considered acceptable, and that art should seek first not to offend. But art doesn't exist to be liked - sometimes it exists more importantly to be disliked, as long as it provokes a reaction and makes you reflect on why it's provoking that reaction. It's just a shame that it's already become meme-ified, and I hope that doesn't cause people to lose sight of the weight of the whole piece.

23. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

lol

St. Nate likes this.
  24. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

I like the way it's filmed. I feel like most music videos cut around so much that you can't even tell what's going on.

beachdude42 and fenway89 like this.
  25. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

I have zero problem calling this brilliant and i have zero problem praising him for what he has created here. It’s challenging and thought provoking and i like it.

beachdude42 and Fronnyfron like this.