Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chicago Location • Page 59

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by troyplaysbass, Apr 5, 2016.

1. kelseyleigh

Trusted Supporter

MexicanGuitars, chewbacca110 and Orla like this.
  2. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

3. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

4. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

5. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

Is anyone savvy with Chicago rental laws? I got an eviction notice for being $125 late on my rent. I have autopay set up but didn’t adjust the autopay when my rent was raised by $25 in April. So each month I was owing $25 but I didn’t get any kind of notice that I was late.

So I paid the balance yesterday but am I still going to get evicted because they already sent the notice? Am I on some kind of blacklist now?

6. MexicanGuitars

7. MexicanGuitars

Seems maybe @scottlechowicz or @Elder Lightning would know?

Kellan and Elder Lightning like this.
  8. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

I am not an expert in this area, but I believe you have a right to cure the nonpayment and stay. Did the notice say you were being evicted, or that they would terminate the lease if you didn't pay?

Failure to Pay Rent. If all or any portion of rent is unpaid when due and the tenant fails to pay the unpaid rent within five days after written notice by the landlord of his intention to terminate the rental agreement if rent is not so paid, the landlord may terminate the rental agreement.

"If the tenant fails to pay rent, the landlord, after giving five days written notice to the tenant, may terminate the rental agreement. However, the tenant may remain in the unit with a rental agreement in good standing if the tenant pays the full amount of back rent and landlord court filing fees before a judge issues an order of possession. If, however, the tenant uses this provision and later receives a second written notice of nonpayment, the tenant will have only five days to pay unpaid rent."

https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/city/depts/dcd/general/housing/RTLOEnglish.pdf

swboyd, Kellan and scottlechowicz like this.
  9. My friend has been working the hotline for Home | Chicago Tenants Movement
    They should be able to get you connected to legal resources if needed.

10. MexicanGuitars

scottlechowicz likes this.
  11. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

I understand why they're doing that (winter's gonna kill the restaurant/bar industry even faster in times of corona), but this just seems like the wrong time to do it.

Plus liquor stores still have to close at 9 still while bars can remain open until 11? L-O-fucking-L.

12. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

Trump keep Chicago out of your mouth

13. MexicanGuitars

14. MexicanGuitars

15. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

I’ve been taking long walks nearly every day since early May, and I usually spot at least one CPD officer each time. At this point, the number of them I’ve seen a wearing mask could probably be counted with one hand.

16. MexicanGuitars

Take care people and keep your distances

17. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

giant sigh

18. MexicanGuitars

We should have crossed the city's own threshold (400 new cases/day) for reimposing mitigations but i have no faith in them to do that after opening up gym and bar/restaurant capacity while surging.

Orla and scottlechowicz like this.
  19. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

So frustrating. I get why they increased capacities, since there's no federal help coming to keep these places afloat, but it's sent the wrong message (if people even care anymore at this point).

20. My friend's bar band is playing indoor gigs again and asked me to fill in for their bassist. As much as I miss playing, the last place I want to be this weekend is a crowded bar in the south suburbs.

21. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I rode my bike through West Town (Halsted) on Friday night and it looked like Wrigleyville. Long lines for bars and restaurants - little to no masks and everyone crowded together. I was furious.

22. MexicanGuitars

scottlechowicz and Orla like this.
  23. scottlechowicz Oct 17, 2020
    (Last edited: Oct 17, 2020)
    scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

At the appellate level, absolutely vote yes for Michael B Hyman. He is the most progressive judge we have.

I know the CDSA also is recommending you vote no on circuit court judge Toomin. More on that here.

Personally, I’m also voting no on: Wadas, Brennan, Kennedy, Byrne, Portman-Brown, Kubasiak, and Mahoney.

Orla and MexicanGuitars like this.
  24. MexicanGuitars

Nice i had already marked all of these people down as no lol. Besides Hyman obv

25. maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

Can anyone advise how long it took for your mail-in ballot to be sent to you?

I got my notice that the ballot had been sent out on the 9th and according to tracking, it has been sitting at the post office near my place for a week now. Is this normal?