Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chicago Location • Page 44

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by troyplaysbass, Apr 5, 2016.

1. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

2. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Wild. Even more glad that I live off the brown line now.

ItsAndrew likes this.
  3. MattNotMatthew

Avacado: Green Gold.

4. RogrStahlback

Trusted Supporter

I see a lot of people disappointed by this lineup. For me it's much much better than i have anticipated. Only problem now is i am starting a new job in a few weeks and i'll have to find a way to get that Friday off without pissing people off.

5. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

YO

Kellan and chewbacca110 like this.
  6. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

Was going to post about the bill passing but now I just saw my L stop is closing for three fucking years??? Uhhh. I guess Argyle is equally as close as Lawrence for me but still

7. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

My gf and me are moving to the city later this summer and are about to start looking. Any apartment hunting tips would be greatly appreciated!

8. Kellan Jun 5, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 5, 2019)
    Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

Use an apartment finding service. I used Apartment People in Lakeview. They’re generally free in Chicago because they make commission from landlords. You tell them your price range and what your priorities are and they have a database of listings and then drive you around to different options.

Other random things...a lot of places don’t do security deposits but do “move-in fees” that are non refundable. I hadn’t heard of that before moving here. You’re probably aware of the traffic but street parking is a nightmare in most places so I would recommend living near one of the L lines, Brown or Red probably.

9. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Agree with @Kellan use an apartment finding service, just tell them your hard price range so they don't waste your time with apartments over your budget. Start setting up appointments with them now, but realize they probably won't want to deal with you much, or have much to offer, until a month before your move in date.

Highly recommend using a moving service as well. Loading, parking and unloading in the city is difficult, but movers get it done quickly.

10. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

Speaking as a now ex-Chicago resident, what neighborhoods did you have on your mind/where are you guys going to be working, etc.? Chicago's a big city so there's a lot of variation in what you'll find.

While I used Chicago Apartment Finders when I first moved to the city to get my first place in Logan Square, I was generally a lot more satisfied with the subsequent places I lived at which I found using a combination of Craigslist and Padmapper. I probably got lucky, but my wife and I got a hell of a deal on rent that way whereas I found the apartment finding services to be a bit scummy because their paycheck depends on the commission they get from signing you up. Again, just my own personal experience.

MexicanGuitars likes this.
  11. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

I also basically got swindled out of application fees by an apartment finding service back in the day because the guy was disingenuous about the situation, though at age 19 we were all new to the game.

swboyd likes this.
  12. Jim

Trusted Supporter

13. Sheriff77

Regular

ItsAndrew and Jim like this.
  14. MexicanGuitars

If you people don't see The Beths at Logan Square Arts Fest on Sunday you are absolute fools.

Kate, ItsAndrew and troyplaysbass like this.
  15. I'm sad I have to miss this, but I'll be there Saturday for Hop Along.

16. MexicanGuitars

Ha we’re leading reverse schedules. Gonna try and make Saturday but not super likely

17. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Naked Giants has been their opener on tour for a while. They opened the Car Seat Headrest show at The Riviera last year.

18. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Also I just want to say how awesome and unreal it is that Chicago has so many street festivals that aren’t just with cover bands, but actual legit touring bands and they are all donation based. It makes me realize how freaking cool Chicago is. And completely free shows at Millenium Park and the Taste of Chicago also with great touring bands/musicians? Also unreal.

19. MexicanGuitars

That was the longest merch line I’ve waited in for The Beths at Logan Square festival since Warped Tour 10 years ago

20. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

ItsAndrew likes this.
  21. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Y'all go see @troyplaysbass band open for Adult Mom + The Sidekicks at SubT tomorrow night. That is all.

troyplaysbass likes this.
  22. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Update on my recent post: While it’s super cool that Chicago has so many free shows/festivals/things to do, it kind of sucks to see some things lightly attended. I saw Courtney Barnett tonight at the Taste and the field really wasn’t *that* crowded and it bummed me out, because she is so good. Yet, the food part of the ataste was packed. It is what it is I guess haha.

23. chewbacca110

That’s why it’s called the Taste of Chicago, not the Sound of Chicago.

24. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh I’m not disagreeing, I just wish more people also went and experienced the music potion of the festival too since it’s free (at least on the lawn).

chewbacca110 likes this.
  25. chewbacca110

And yes, my post was meant to be sarcastic/dad jokey.

I haven’t been to Taste since probably 2010. It always seems like it’s a madhouse of suburbanites and expensive food.