Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chicago Location • Page 4

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by troyplaysbass, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Ainsley&MyWhetstone

Regular

Today Koji came into the reataurant I work at. I was stoked on it (still am, clearly).

2. My girlfriend and I are in the very early stages of looking for a place together, and Jefferson Park was one of the areas that looked pretty attractive to me. She's looking at teaching jobs in the near-ish north suburbs and doesn't want a hellish commute every day, but I really want to stay close to the city (or at least close to the Blue Line). Jefferson park seemed like it could satisfy both of us, depending on exactly where she ends working. Is it really that boring?

That's awesome. He seems like such a great guy. Really wish I could have gone to the show last night.

3. yeknom

CEO/Shelob Supporter

Chicago is the best City i've ever lived in or been to, for about 6 months of the year. Charlotte has become my preference for year round living.

4. KingofSpain

you can be your own dad Prestigious

Yeah, it's pretty residential and the demographic is a little older. There's no nightlife. That said, it's pretty quiet, and great for your situation (my roommates all work in the suburbs, and they've never had issues with commuting). Being next to the blue line and the transit center is a big plus.

5. Ainsley&MyWhetstone

Regular

Im upset that I didn't snag a ticket for that Porches show.

He is one of the most genuine human beings I've ever had the chance to talk to. His set last night was really great but the set up at Township was really odd. Tables and all that.

6. Yeah, that sounds perfect. Lack of bars and nightlife right in my neighborhood is totally fine for me, as long as it's easy to get to shows when I want to. Thanks for the info!

That's odd that they kept tables set up in the show area. That whole back room has been cleared out for every show I've seen there.

7. Ainsley&MyWhetstone

Regular

I was talking with the promoter and he was really stoked on the idea of it being a loungey feel for the show since it was an acoustic show. He a was a nice dude but I'd have to disagree. Every time I've seen Koji otherwise everyone was stood together and it felt more communal.

8. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Laura Stevenson was incredible as usual

troyplaysbass likes this.
  9. MrSwetz

***** Prestigious

Hey guys! I'll be in your city next week, any ideas of cool things to do?

10. MattNotMatthew

Avacado: Green Gold.

Billy Sunday and/or Analogue for some bomb ass cocktails (if you are into that). Analogue has a great small dinner menu. Their fried chicken sandwich...man...so good.

If you go to Analogue head next door to The Owl when you are done.

All this accessible via the Blue Line.

11. Ainsley&MyWhetstone

Regular

Isnt Analogue under construction right now?

MattNotMatthew likes this.
  12. MattNotMatthew

I believe it was but they finished that up a few weeks ago.

13. Ainsley&MyWhetstone

Regular

Oh, awesome! Ive been wanting to try that place.

Uh as far as recommendations, I really love going to Quimby's (books/zines/chapbooks/etc).

Yasqueen4 and Essie like this.
  14. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Have you ever been?

If this is your first time and you wanna do the touristy shit, just hit Michigan Ave and you'll be in a centralized location to see a ton. There's the bean, the river walk, tons of food/shopping, tons of amazing architecture... blah blah. If you have time I recommend taking an architectural boat tour on the river that cruises right through the heart of downtown. It's fucking rad and you'll feel like you're in Batman. Also on Michigan Ave, you should go here for a drink or dinner. It's on the 96th floor of the Hancock building right on the North side of downtown and it's got insane views of the lake/city. Also, the Cubs are in town next week and you can get tickets to their mid-week games (they're playing Weds and Thurs) for a gentlemen's $7 right now on Stubhub. Even if you're not into baseball, a game Wrigley Field is still a rad experience and this time of year it's wicked cheap.

Also, the best pizza is at Pequod's.

Go Cubbies.

15. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

Last time I was in Chicago one of my headlights got stolen during the five hours I was parked in a garage. At first I wished I would've caught the guy but then on second thought I probably just would've ended up getting myself killed, so. It was the headlight of an 04 Chevy Colorado truck, which I thought was an odd choice to want to steal lol. It was only one of them. It looked like they maybe started on the other and got spooked by something though because there was a little mark left by whatever they were using to pry off the lights.

Also had Giordano's though and gave my leftovers to a homeless guy so you take the good with the bad I suppose.

16. MrSwetz

***** Prestigious

Awesome thanks for all the recommendations guys! I've never been, seems like there are so many things to do. I'm mainly concerned with Food, The Art Institute, and Food. I've heard the Architecture tour is absolutely amazing, so I'm glad to hear it's true. Absolutely going to go to a cubs game, not a baseball fan but I'd love to check out Wrigley. Someone also said to check out the summer house, and some fastfood place that has a cake shake? I mean that sounds great.

17. 9th At Pine

Last one out of Liberty City burn it to the ground

I'll second the
    They were talking about Portillo's, which is an amazing chain restaurant in the Chicagoland area. They are most known for their Italian beef sandwiches and hot dogs, both of which are great, as well as the cake shake that you mentioned. Highly recommended. If you're staying downtown the closest will be on Ontario/Clark.

18. That does seem like a strange thing to steal. My girlfriend's brother lived in Wicker Park about 10 years ago, and he had the wheels stolen off of his car once.

19. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

And you have the Gale Street Inn, which has some tasty ribs.

20. yeknom

CEO/Shelob Supporter

just go get a chocalate shake

21. MattNotMatthew

Just got Hot G Dog for dinner tonight. With Hot Doug's RIP, this is the exact same thing and scratches that itch big time. #duckfatfries

22. yeknom

CEO/Shelob Supporter

I miss the dogs and the pizza.

23. Ainsley&MyWhetstone Apr 8, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 8, 2016)
    Ainsley&MyWhetstone

Regular

If you're interested in architecture type stuff Is recommend going into the cultural center it's right across the street from the Bean! It's free to get in, I think it's nice just to go in and see how beautiful it is. It used to be a library. This is the dome there.

troyplaysbass likes this.
  24. Ainsley&MyWhetstone

Regular

Can we all take a moment to appreciate how god damn good Bang Bang Pie is?

25. MattLikesSsips

Be sure to drink your Ovaltine.

I'll be in Chicago the end of May for about a week. Longman and Eagle looks awesome. So much whiskey!