Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chicago Location • Page 37

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by troyplaysbass, Apr 5, 2016.

1. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

And a free 1 day GA pass for those of us that already bought!

2. Jim

Trusted Supporter

I snagged mine with this sale. I was on the fence with the line up being sort of meh to me, but fuck it itll be fun.

3. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Super cool that street festivals like Wicker Park Fest are nearly free and have stacked lineups. Perks of living in a big city. I will be there (probably) Friday and Saturday for sure.

MexicanGuitars likes this.
  4. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I know it has been discussed before but what are your favorite and/or least favorite venues to see a show in Chicago?

I like the Beat Kitchen, Subterranean, Schubas, Lincoln Hall, Empty Bottle, Thalia Hall, and Riviera Theater the most. I love that at the Riviera I can sit in the seats for part of the show then move to the standing area if I want to.

The only criticism I have out of those is that the Empty Bottle starts all of their shows at 9PM which sucks on weekdays, and even weekends when I have no plans beforehand. I wonder why they start all their shows at 9PM? Seems like a turn off for potential showgoers/patrons.

As for dislike, I am not a huge fan of House of Blues. It is difficult to see depending on where you are standing. Otherwise, I guess the only other venue I am not a huge fan of is venue in Tinley Park because it is hard to get to and not the best concert experience there.

5. Jim

Trusted Supporter

I agree with all of the ones you like. Lincoln Hall, the Vic and Thalia being my favorite. If my fiance is coming, the Riv is the best. She's 5 foot and we usually get there at doors to snag the first row of the balcony. I am OK with the metro as long as it isn't a sold out show, it gets brutal in there if it is.

I hate Aaragon and HOB.

ItsAndrew and MexicanGuitars like this.
  6. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Got backstage for WPF and access to the free beer.

paperlung likes this.
  7. Jim

Trusted Supporter

nice!

btw, looked for a white flatliners shirt but never saw one.

8. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Cannot wait for Gang of Youths this week. Hoping to snag a bunch of merch as well.

9. Jim

Trusted Supporter

Just had the bad apple for the first time. Pretty damn good

10. MexicanGuitars

Ah no worries. I hung around throughout Snail Mail but wasn’t really around the stage.

11. MexicanGuitars

Also lol to the surprised wealthy inhabitants of Wicker Park who had never seen anything resembling a mosh pit before when people went off for Rozwell Kid and everyone took out their phones

swboyd likes this.
  12. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

For two years, I was a 2 minute walk from there. It's awesome.

Jim likes this.
  13. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

one of the unintended side effects of gentrification.

i'm a tad pissed that i wasn't able to make it to any of wicker park fest this weekend because of life, but i did hit up corridor for the first time this weekend and their beers/food were phenomenal. i'll definitely be back there.

14. swboyd

The Empty Bottle starts all of their shows around that time because they are a 21+ venue exclusively. Sans special occasions where they have certain shows, it's been like that the entire time they've been open. Hell, most of the 21+ exclusive venues in the city are like that (Livewire, Liar's Club).

15. MexicanGuitars

I think Wicker is well past gentrification at this point: even when I was in school a few years ago the rents were as or more expensive than Lincoln Park

swboyd likes this.
  16. swboyd

oh. i know wicker has entered white yuppie central, but i'm more bemused at the fact that people were filming a pit. if wicker park fest happened in logan, i can't imagine there'd be as many peeps filming.

17. MexicanGuitars

I felt like I was in the zoo lol.

18. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I know it is 21+, but does that mean they are required to start every show late/at the same time? It just can be inconvenient, especially on a weekday.

19. Jim

Trusted Supporter

When PUP did their free show there two wicker park fears ago they didn’t get done until like 1:30 or something. My old ass was hung over for three days.

20. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

That too. Not only do the late start times suck at times but if there's a show I want to see there I'd rather not it end at 12 or 1AM, especially if it is a weekday. Weekends I can understand, and aftershows too, but I just don't fully understand the reason. It's not like people over 21 are going to drink less at 7PM or something or magically are less tired late at night.

21. MexicanGuitars

The J Brekkie P4K aftershow went till 1 and I still haven’t recovered 9 days later

Jim likes this.
  22. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

What a sick show tho

23. paperlung

there's no place like my room Supporter

yo how was wpf?? would have loved to catch rozwell kid and remo drive.

24. ItsAndrew Jul 30, 2018
    (Last edited: Aug 7, 2018)
    ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

FYI: Both are coming back here in the fall/winter on tour. Remo Drive at SubT and Rozwell Kid at Beat Kitchen.

25. swboyd

KidLightning and ItsAndrew like this.