Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chicago Location • Page 35

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by troyplaysbass, Apr 5, 2016.

1. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Anyone interested in seeing Jonah Ray at @North Bar in Wicker Park? None of my friends are biting but he is performing 4 times: 2 stand up sets, a live move riffing (a la MST3K) and a taping of his podcast Jonah Raydio.

Festival of Me with Jonah Ray - liveatnorthbar.com

Festival of Me with Jonah Ray

Friday April 27
    8:00 PM – Stand Up Comedy
    10:00 PM – Live Movie Riffing

Saturday April 28
    8:00 PM – Stand Up Comedy
    10:00 PM – Jonah Raydio Live Recording

Tickets: $20 In Advance / $25 At Door

2. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

at least we have the gman there...

3. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Holy fuck...sorry, that sucks

4. Jim

Trusted Supporter

I'm Lyft all day for reasons like this. Uber is awful.

MexicanGuitars likes this.
  5. chewbacca110

Rap duo Air Credits and Doomtree rapper Sims need extras at Metro at 5pm. 21+ must be dresssed in black or futuristic clothes.

6. swboyd

Initial Wicker Park Festival lineup is up:

Against Me!
    Porches
    RED FANG
    Turquoise Jeep Records
    Ezra Furman
    Snail Mail
    Remo Drivee
    Rozwell Kid
    Dos Santos

Expanding to three days - July 27th, 28th, and 29th. Against Me!, Porches, and Ezra Furman aftershows have also been announced.

7. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Nice! Glad I am not looking like a complete fool when I mentioned some of these bands in the Riot Fest thread.

troyplaysbass and swboyd like this.
  8. I’m getting married on the 28th so I probably won’t be at any of Wicker Park Fest this year, but this lineup (the announced acts and a few more I know that aren’t announced yet) is really good.

9. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Tell us single commoners the rest of the lineup

Essie and swboyd like this.
  10. Michael Schmidt

I can confirm Dave Hause, Sincere Engineer, Off With Their Heads, Spells, and Typesetter.

Essie, MexicanGuitars and swboyd like this.
  11. swboyd

thats a lot of punk that they left off of the initial announcement. wow. still rad shit though.

12. MattNotMatthew

Avacado: Green Gold.

Full band Sincere Engineer would be dope.

Essie likes this.
  13. Michael Schmidt

For sure! I didn't ask if it was when I was told. But if I had to guess I would say yes, only because when she opened for the Lawrence Arms at the Metro she did have the full band. I would think she would do the same thing for a summer festival.

14. MattNotMatthew

Yea for sure. Local show, gotta go full-band. I saw her at Township for her record release. Side note: Township closed. Kind of a bummer given some of the shows I've seen there in the past. Between that Quenchers and Township closing, Logan Square getting hit hard from a local venue perspective.

15. Michael Schmidt

I didn't know about Township closing. I never got over there. I've only been here for about a year. I did get over to Quenchers. That was actually the first venue I went to when I moved. It wasn't my favorite venue, but I understand its appeal and was a good size venue for local shows. In terms of Chicago venues, I really like Beat Kitchen and Metro. I also like Liars Club, but don't get over there enough.

16. MexicanGuitars

Fuck Township closing is a bummer. Had only been to a few shows there, but one of them was a Restorations headliner back in 2014.

I had just done a review of LP3 for AP and emailed the band about it. Their singer responded to me and thanked me, while also noting that the show at Township "was the JAM".

17. swboyd

Township and Quenchers closing sucks, but I'm not too, too sad to be honest...both places were cool, but the booking of shows there for my tastes was spotty in the last year (last time I was at Township was PMFS in 2016 and Quenchers for a show was CWS last summer). Plus, new places are starting to pop up in the area, namely Sleeping Village in Avondale. I'm planning on going to the Joan of Arc show there in August so hopefully the place doesn't suck too much. Plus the old stalwarts (from my eyes) seem to be getting a lot of good shows this summer so its definitely going to be pretty easy to keep busy.

18. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Really enjoy Beat Kitchen. Also, Lincoln Hall has been pretty good.

19. MattNotMatthew

Sleeping Village is pretty good. I've been there once casually to have a drink. The venue looked like a great place to see a show.

20. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

Seeing Grouplove at Metro tonight, they’re using Yondr cellphone bags which is the first time I will have experienced that.

21. MexicanGuitars

Went to Long Room today and that place is extremely lit.

kelseyleigh, chewbacca110 and swboyd like this.
  22. swboyd

can confirm this as well, though I haven't been there in a bit. i enjoyed that place quite a bit when I went on a mini-bar crawl in that hood with a few friends late last summer.

23. chewbacca110

I've gotten drunk at Long Room a handful of times. Gotta love that backroom to get cozy in.

I am going to a few shows this week, gimme a shout if you are too!
    Tuesday: NFG at House of Blues
    Wednesday: Primus/Mastodon at Northerly Island

24. swboyd

I'll be at Celeste at SubT on Wednesday and miiiight be at Young Widows at SubT on Friday.

25. MexicanGuitars

Tempted to go to one of either PBTT/TWIABP on Friday or Hop Along on Sunday