Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chicago Location • Page 25

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by troyplaysbass, Apr 5, 2016.

1. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Jim likes this.
  2. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

The Koval cocktail classes were so much fun, also got to try a good assortment of their liquor I never get.

3. Sheriff77

Regular

4. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

I've only lived here like a week and I'm arleady mad at tourists and the CTA all the time.

PS fuck this Green Line construction. I don't know how many stops they've shut down in the Loop but it's really screwing with my commute and the CTA was no help this morning getting me to an alternate stop or telling me where to go.

incognitojones likes this.
  5. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Welcome to the city!

Kellan and cubsml34 like this.
  6. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

There are 2 seasons in Chicago: winter and construction

7. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

As of next weekend: Goodbye Chicago, hello suburbia.

8. MexicanGuitars

troyplaysbass likes this.
  9. swboyd

Revolution Oktoberfest:

[​IMG]

I can get behind this.

10. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Anyone else running the Malort 5k on Saturday?

11. KingofSpain

you can be your own dad Prestigious

Oh damn.

12. Sheriff77

Regular

Nice!

13. baha that's 100% a joke in Minnesota too

cubsml34 likes this.
  14. MexicanGuitars

Day 2 is the same day as the savage tour with AM/Bleached/The NIL and just down the street.

15. swboyd

I just hope there aren't any conflicts between Jeff/White Lung and some of the bands on that lineup. That'd suck.

16. MexicanGuitars

I think the AM show starts at 6 and the Rev fest at 5, so unfortunately I'm anticipating it. If it was earlier I'd definitely go to RevFest but there's no way i'm missing the Nil

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  17. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Same. Already got my tickets for the Nil so I am doing that.

cubsml34 likes this.
  18. MexicanGuitars

The amount of shows between Riot Fest and Mid-October is absolutely ludicrous.

19. Michael Schmidt

Yeah, it's pretty absurd to me. I have a few picked out that I'm doing , but between moving and buying furniture, I am not doing everything I would like.

20. MexicanGuitars

My must sees are Riot Fest, the aforementioned AM/Bleached/Nil show, Touche/Single Mothers, and Pinegrove. The week of Sep 30th-Oct 7th alone has the AM tour, Jeff Rosenstock/Meat Wave, PUP (suburbs), Japanese Breakfast/Mannequin Pussy, the Touche show, and mewithoutyou/PBTT. Mad.

21. Michael Schmidt

So far I am for sure doing AM! and then the No Warning/Backtrack/Down To Nothing/Homewrecker show. I will probably miss out on Brand New. I would like to do Riot on Saturday and Sunday and then do the NFG/Bayside show if I can swing it. The Touche show is on my list too, but we'll see how it goes.

cubsml34 likes this.
  22. scroopy.noopers

: (

can we talk about how problematic riot fest is? i've had a beef with this thing since it hit humboldt park, and now that i have a better understanding of gentrification, i hate the fest even more. its just really shitty to shove over 100k people into a small space that is home to people who've been disenfranchised by the city. they sell it as the fest being beneficial to the community--the same run-of-the-mill arguement for gentrification--but people there are still in the same condition they were in before the fest. i understand that gentrification is basically an inevitable consequence in a capitalist economy, but there are aspects of it that can alleviate the negative aspects of it. instead of pushing for hyper-gentrification in the community, there are other parks on the northside this fest could take place at, or they could move it to the suburbs. or the fest can use its money and influence to create affordable public housing.

sorry for the random rant, but i think its something that deserves some attention. it'd be cool to see fans of the fest to push its owners to doing more than just throwing a little change at some charities; they can, and should, do more for the community they occupy every year.

23. Yasqueen4

Trusted

Plus the fact how shitty it leaves the park afterwards.

24. swboyd

I agree with the general sentiment of your post - I despise a lot of the aspects of gentrification and the disenfranchising effects it can have on the community, but compared to other festival-promoting organizations, at least Riot Fest considers the local community as a part of their footprint. I can't remember the list of things that they've done off the top of my head, but they appear to do more and more for the community every year: temp jobs for people in an area that frankly is devoid of meaningful opportunities, waiving vendor fees for residents in the local wards, donating to various charities in the area, offering free tickets to residents within a certain distance of the festival, and other benefits I'm not remembering off the top of my head. There's also a congestion/business argument that can be brought up against the festival, but there are so many street festivals that clog up the roads and rails in the city at this point that it's just a headache I grew used to before moving to the burbs.

It leaves the park in a shitty condition after the festival, but so does every other festival held in a public space in the city. Lolla leaves Grant Park looking like a warzone after the event. Also, weather has historically not been on Riot Fest's side if I'm remembering correctly. That 2014/2015 editions of the fest were muddy shitshows. They got lucky with the weather last year.

Overall, I see it as a catch-22 that's hard to solve. I love the fact that Chicago has a large punk-focused festival that's easily accessible by public transit and not at a farm or some suburban sportsplex (looking at you, Chicago Open Air). I get the exploitative nature argument, but the fact is this brings 100k people to a neighborhood that wouldn't normally come to the area. Hell, other than Lagunitas and Riot Fest, I can't think of a single reason I'd want to go to the Douglas Park neighborhood on a normal basis.

There's no perfect solution to this, but the Riot Fest group seems to have enough self-awareness to try to smooth things out nicely.

25. Yasqueen4

Trusted

I've lived here on and off for about ten years and I absolutely love it. Some of my favorite places to visit are Empty Bottle, Kuma's Corner, Longman and Eagle, Momotaro, Schuba's, second city, EZ Inn, Promontory Point, and the beach when its not crowded. I also used to get such an adrenaline rush riding my bike down Western Ave at full speed. I would never do that now but it was so fun when I was younger. So, anyone here that lives in or near Chicago or even just have visited....share some fun experiences and places!