Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chicago Location • Page 23

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by troyplaysbass, Apr 5, 2016.

1. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

If I recall correctly, a bunch of peeps in this thread are going to be at Captain We're Sinking on Wednesday. Just bought my tix.

troyplaysbass likes this.
  2. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I just bought my tickets too. This will be my first show as a Chicago resident. It was supposed to be Rozwell Kid last night, but I had a conflict. If anyone wants to meet up, I would be open to something like that as I get situated in my new digs.

cubsml34 likes this.
  3. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

^I'll be at CWS. So effing stoked for that show.

cubsml34 likes this.
  4. MexicanGuitars

I just accepted a job offer in the burbs so I am v excited to be sticking around and accruing income to hit up all the dank shows this summer and fall. First paycheck is going to Sat/Sun Riot Fest tix.

5. Michael Schmidt

I'm thinking of doing the Sat/Sun at Riot too. I plan on passing on the Friday since I'll be at work, but maybe hitting up an after show. I would love if The Menzingers or someone cool is doing one that night. Congrats on the job btw!

6. MexicanGuitars

Yeah I don't think I'll do Friday either. Not sure if I can/should use PTO that early, and the lineup is the weakest for me of all three days by quite a bit.

And thanks!

7. Michael Schmidt

I just don't want to use the PTO for it either. 2 days is plenty for me. I agree it's the weakest day, but I am down for a cool after show.

8. swboyd

Well, I'm sad to say I will officially be moving to the suburbs next month but it'll cut my commute in half from 45 minutes to an hour down to 25 to 30 consistently. I can't complain about that.

9. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Which suburb?

Tempted but we bought a flat here on the north side and wife can't leave city behind yet...

10. swboyd

Des Plaines. I work in Lake Forest, and the girlfriend works in Elk Grove so it's a decent halfway point. Our rent is going to be $100 more per month, but we get the standard large apartment complex amenities (gym, pool, etc.), an extra bathroom, and an additional 200 square feet in space. I'm pretty apathetic about where we live, but she wanted a change so I didn't fight her on it. What neighborhood are you in?

11. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Oh, nice! I was working on a site in Lake Forest for a while last year that has wrapped up. My wife works downtown and I'm near O'Hare so...north side is kind of our half-way point and my wife is a city person so she can't leave it just yet.

12. swboyd

I miss working downtown, but my job up here is so much better. So I guess it evens out. My girlfriend has realized over the last 3 years that she isn't a city person so she's been looking to get out of Chicago for a while now. She finally gets here wish next month.

Also for anyone going to Captain, We're Sinking tonight, I'll probably be wearing a maroon Pure Disgust shirt. Come say hi if you see me.

13. MexicanGuitars

I'll be rocking an also maroon Menz shirt. Plz do likewise.

Michael Schmidt and swboyd like this.
  14. troyplaysbass Jul 12, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 12, 2017)
    Not sure what shirt I'll be wearing until I get home from work and change, but I definitely want to meet some of you tonight. I didn't buy an advance ticket but I didn't see anything about it being close to selling out so I think I'll be okay.

Edit: White Swellers shirt!

Michael Schmidt, swboyd and cubsml34 like this.
  15. Michael Schmidt

Black Escapist Records shirt for me.

16. MexicanGuitars

I am here find the guy withe ther malört a rita

17. mgiannotti

edge mike Supporter

Hello I will be in Chicago this weekend for pitchfork!! I'll be in lincoln park at the chicago getaway hostel until monday afternoon. What are some things and stuff to do, I'm going into this trip completely blind

18. MexicanGuitars

In Lincoln Park you have great access to the lakefront, and the weather is shaping up to be great this weekend as well. Idk if you'll have time to beach it up but it's worth taking a stroll down to the water, through the actual Lincoln Park and the zoo inside of it. You're also located by Del Seoul, a wonderful Korean Tacos place. Further up Clark street and Broadway there are a bunch of cool shops, including records, depending on what you're into.

Down by Union Park where Pitchfork you're just west of Restaurant Row, which is one of the trendiest foodie and bar areas of the city now for the past 10 years. Lot of famous places there but also some more casual ones too, too many to name. Though I will rep Publican since they have a stand up bar area to order food as well I believe.

Of course there's a bunch more to do but I venture that the festival will take up the majority of your time.

19. MexicanGuitars

swboyd and troyplaysbass like this.
  20. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I was in bed guys, sorry I missed it. But I got 9 hours of sleep so no regrets.

I'll see y'all at Camp Cope next week?

21. MexicanGuitars

Won't be at the that unfortunately. May try to get the limited tix at the door for the PUP Lola aftershow at Empty Bottle for my next show.

22. swboyd

That's a loaded question because it really depends on what your interests are. Chicago is an easily navigable city that literally has something for everyone. Assuming you have carte blanche over what you're doing, here's what I'd recommend in addition to what @cubsml34 posted about:

Food and Drink:
    Wiener Circle (hot dog place with a certain panache that's open late)
    Lincoln Station (great bar with decent food and a great tap selection)
    Rickshaw Republic (Asian Street food restaurant)
    Birds Nest (Best wings in the city, IMO)
    Hopcat (Beer selection for days)

You can probably find more exhaustive lists online that have better recommendations both for Lincoln Park and other neighborhoods, but I'd figure I would keep it close to your hotel just for the sake of ease.

Attractions not mentioned yet:
    Newberry Library
    International Museum of Surgical Science
    National Museum of Mexican American Art
    Leather Museum & Archives
    Art Institute of Chicago
    Shedd Aquarium
    Field Museum
    Museum of Science Industry
    Go on a Chicago crime tour
    Go to the Signature Room on top of the Hancock for a drink. It'll be expensive, but the views of the city will be worth it.

Hope this helps!

It was great meeting you two last night as well. Sometimes I forget that there are real people behind these internet posts...

cubsml34 likes this.
  23. mgiannotti

edge mike Supporter

I don't drink, but everything suggested sounds awesome, thanks! The fest doesn't start until 1:00 every day, and I have all of today and all of Monday to explore before my flight back.

24. Jim

Trusted Supporter

cubsml34 likes this.
  25. Michael Schmidt

I actually left early because the show just started too late for me. I watched Merit Badge and Distants, but left after that so I could get to bed. I get to my office at 7 in the morning so I can leave early. Does Quenchers always do four bands with 9:00 doors? That seems a bit absurd on a weekday.