Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chicago Location • Page 22

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by troyplaysbass, Apr 5, 2016.

1. KingofSpain

you can be your own dad Prestigious

That's how I feel about Pallbearer headlining Do Division this year.

2. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

Pallbearer playing Do Division makes more sense than Bongripper playing the Logan Square Arts Festival. High on Fire and The Body have played in the past. But I digress, good times were had then and will be at Do Division on Sunday for Pallbearer.

3. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Do Division was a gosh darn zoo last night. Saw adult. for about half an hour though which was fun.

4. swboyd

Saw Pallbearer last night there as well. It was interesting watching a doom metal band play in the middle of Division.

5. MexicanGuitars

Idk bout you, but I think the way that the stages were set up in the middle of a two lane street, my head was pounding within 15-20 minutes of adult.'s set. It must have been even louder for Pallbearer.

6. swboyd

The sound was a bit off for Pallbearer for the first couple songs. By the time they closed with two tracks from Sorrow and Extinction, they sounded decent. They were effing loud though. I regretted forgetting earplugs pretty soon after they started...fortunately, I didn't get a pounding headache.

7. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

It's taken some time and some weird circumstances, but I am now sitting on two job offers that would pull me from Cleveland and into the fine city of Chicago. I'm excited to be close to some family and explore the vast Chicago music scene. I look forward to hopefully meeting some of the folks in this group. Luckily one of my friends that cuts my hair in Cleveland used to live in Chicago and told me where to get my cuts and tattooed so I am happy this move is finally coming together.

troyplaysbass and cubsml34 like this.
  8. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Ooh, I think I can actually go to this!

Jim likes this.
  9. MattNotMatthew Jun 9, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 9, 2017)
    MattNotMatthew

Avacado: Green Gold.

Hey Chicago, homies. Figured I'd post it here for those interested. I co-host a podcast (who doesn't these days, amirite?) based in Chicago. Where often times, we discuss the comings and goings of Chicago and also feature some killer music. I lurk and sometimes post in this thread. Based on my recent run of lurking, I feel some of you dudes and dudettes might dig it. So if you're bored or just looking for something knew to listen too, check it out.

Rate the Universe - ratetheuniversepodcast.com

10. Michael Schmidt

Just secured my apartment in Lakeview! Things are slowly coming together.

Sebas, cubsml34 and scottlechowicz like this.
  11. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Lived in lakeview for 11 years. It can be a really nice place to live. Congrats.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  12. MexicanGuitars

Having lived in Lakeview myself, choice phrasing lol.

13. Michael Schmidt

Not that it matters at this point, but what do you guys mean by "can" be? I've spent a lot of time visiting in the area since my sister lives there as well.

14. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

It is all about what you are into. Speaking only for myself, my problems with lakeview were basically:

It can attract a pretty bro-y crowd, in places. Which isn't really my thing. This obviously is compounded by Wrigley Field.

Boystown can get pretty rowdy on weekends. Again, not my thing.

And yuppies can be annoying.

But there are things I really miss about Lakeview, too.

Sebas and cubsml34 like this.
  15. MexicanGuitars

^My complaints as well. I had a buddy who lived across from the Metro which is essentially right next to Wrigley and it was mad loud all the time. Especially if you're along Clark in Wrigleyville or Halsted in Boystown then it's exactly what @scottlechowicz said. Lot of stupid shit happens around the Belmont red line as well. But honesty, Lakeview is huge and has a lot of nice, quieter areas. I have a few friends that live in West Lakeview now and that's a great balance.

scottlechowicz likes this.
  16. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Lakeview also has Reckless Records, Ann Sather, Graham Cracker comics, easy access to the lake front path, and a myriad of other fun things.

It's just, if you are anything like me, you will find that you tend to avoid certain areas during certain times.

The quiet neighborhood parts of lakeview are sublime.

cubsml34 likes this.
  17. Michael Schmidt

I'm more on the West end of Lakeview towards Roscoe Village and away from some of what is being described. Definitely more of a quiet street.

18. MexicanGuitars

I lived next to the Paulina Brown line and on Addison in central Lakeview and confirm that's a really nice area. Except for the L and Metra trains outside my window for 21 hours a day at the first apartment. But you get used to it haha. Chicago Music Exchange on Lincoln is a renowned music store and touring bands always go through there. I've gotten guitar work done there myself. Would also recommend Green Lady, Northdown, Schuba's, and Corridor for good bars from Southport going west. Bakin & Eggs and Wishbone have all your slightly bougie and nice diner-esque (respectively) breakfast places covered that won't break the bank. Burrito House is a quality late night spot. You're basically in what I like to call the "grocery store" district as well. T Joes, Mariano's, Jewel, and a massive brand new whole foods are all within about a five minute driving radius. Beat Kitchen gets a lot of bands in our scene rolling through too.

That whole area has been what I call "mondo condo'd" since I moved out though and there's a ton of new development along Lincoln and Ashland so there's probably a bunch of stuff i don't even know about.

19. Michael Schmidt

Thanks for the nice run-down man. Definitely appreciate it. It's always a hectic time leaving a job, taking a new one, and moving to a different city. I haven't even been able to stop and think about how good the Tribe is playing and how delicate the Cavs situation is. I guess that is for the best.

scottlechowicz and cubsml34 like this.
  20. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Hey I'm visiting Chicago for the first time this weekend!!!

I need to have the best pizza....

Gino's East or Malnatis or other???

I'm doing the architecture boat tour

21. joe.boy.fresh.

Trusted

MALNATIS.

Your Milkshake likes this.
  22. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

If
    You're doing a pizza chain: Gino's, but everyone will tell you a different answer.

My personal fav is Art Of Pizza on Ashland.

Your Milkshake and kpatrickwood like this.
  23. scroopy.noopers

: (

this was recorded in front of my old place back in chi. just a block west of damen and jackson over by the uc.

the father's day picnic is huge every year at the park. i miss that house so much.

24. topshelfsquad

kevin duquette

hello! i'm not from chicago, but ~ratboys~ are:

http://ratboysband.com (their new album is streaming in full!)

joe.boy.fresh. likes this.
  25. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

As someone living in Chicago, can confirm that Ratboys are dope

troyplaysbass and topshelfsquad like this.