Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chicago Location • Page 101

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by troyplaysbass, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

anyone ever used an in-home pet sitter service (someone staying at your place)? our last boarding experience was absolutely terrible and my dog ended up with kennel cough turning into pneumonia, so this time we hope to find someone to stay at our place for a week or at the very least do multiple lengthy check ins

2. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I’m friends with a pet care person so I’ve done that before, really wouldn’t trust a service if it wasn’t someone I’ve known forever tho.

3. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Tonight my fiancée and I finalized the Revolution taproom as our wedding venue next year. To celebrate, we threw on Drinking Buddies, a movie we’d both seen before. But this time we took special note that the first line is Olivia Wilde working the Revolution bar and asking an engaged couple about the ring.

It’s meant to be, folks!

4. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

5. RogrStahlback

Trusted Supporter

If you guys like "if it's meant to be" stories, here's one:

Me and my wife were thinking about moving to the Chicago area from overseas around 7 years ago. We went to visit my brother who lived in Evanston at the time. There was some kind of artist fair around where he lived in downtown Evanston and there was a stage with some local artists performing, mostly cover and tribute bands.

We wanted to take a walk outside and see if that is an area we would like to move to and the first thing we saw after stepping out of his apartment was the stage. On it was a cover band doing "Mr. Brightside". That is my wife's favorite song. We took it as a sign and we decided that this is where we want to be. We both live in this area for the past 7 years now.

6. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

My wife is a teacher up there (we live in Logan Square)! Evanston is cool!

7. RogrStahlback

Trusted Supporter

After we stayed with my brother for a few weeks we found a place in Skokie. 3 years ago we moved to Melrose Park where we still live.

We are probably the only Jewiah people in this area

8. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

Hitting my first Bulls game since moving here 3 years ago tomorrow night. Never been to the United Center, but I’m excited!

9. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

10. RogrStahlback

Trusted Supporter

If anyone is thinking about going to the Spanish Love Songs show in Palatine next month I encourage you to go. I had plans but it got cancelled so I can go now too. The venue is awesome, just perfect for a show like this and for people like me coming from the suburbs it's even better because there's no need to go into the city. There's also a Metra station right next to the venue.

kpatrickwood and aspeedomodel like this.
  11. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Jawbreaker/Built to Spill/Smoking Popes ticket prices on Stubhub right now for their next 3 shows at House of Blues:

Thurs (tonight): $18
    Friday: $6
    Saturday: $15

12. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I think those are for the back standing area where you can’t see much. When we filtered for ga floor and such it went up.

kpatrickwood likes this.
  13. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

I went last night and my tickets were technically for the balcony but no one was checking anything. Had no trouble watching from the floor. Maybe their enforcement of that just varies by show/staff?

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  14. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

That’s interesting. We almost got tickets and thought about trying that. Got something to think about now.

kpatrickwood likes this.
  15. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Yeah I feel like HoB is kinda of hit or miss with that. I do remember going to one show there a long time ago there where they were enforcing the floor ticket thing, but last night we were able to go to the floor for Smoking Popes, walk back and check out merch and grab a beer, and get back down after Built to Spill played with no trouble at all. Maybe it's just situational where if the floor is overcrowded they start checking. But given that the average attendee age for this show is like 44 years old, spots with a place to lean on something were in way more demand than being on the main floor.

All that said- all the bands sounded fucking awesome and it still felt worth it even though I paid the full $70ish per ticket when they were first released.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  16. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

17. RogrStahlback

Trusted Supporter

I think it's more depending on who the person working there is as opposed to the venue. I have seen so many security personnel over the years with an "I'm not paid enough to care" attitude.

kpatrickwood likes this.
  18. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

19. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

swboyd likes this.
  20. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Lots of shots and police activity up here in Lincoln Square, I know a few of us in here live in this area so be safe ya'll.

21. Night Channels

Trusted

Went to Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Co. last weekend. So good.

22. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

23. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

If anyone ever gives me shit for dicking around on this site while working I'm just gonna send them that article.

24. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

25. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious