Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chicago Open Air 2019 Tour • Page 3

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by Rusty_Shackleford, Oct 19, 2018.

1. RogrStahlback

Trusted Supporter

Only 7 bands per day? WTF is this crap?

2. Rusty_Shackleford

Regular

Yeah it looks like just one main stage. That's weird because the cost for Open Air field GA is $249 + tax yet the 62 band Sonic Temple is $309 + tax.

3. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I'm fine with it cus I like Saturday's lineup and it'll be cool to see everyone.

But I am NOT fine with that price? What the hell? That's more than Riot Fest and almost the price of Lollapalooza - a 4 day festival. I almost think it's a mistake.

Although I guess I'm looking now and it kind of make sense cus I didn't see how tiered the prices were but still.

4. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

All poster copywrighting jokes aside, am I the only one who's a bit...underwhelmed by this lineup?

JaggySnake83 likes this.
  5. Rusty_Shackleford

Regular

We usually gravitate to the cost of the artists performing. However, A lot of this overlaps with Sonic Temple so how are they able to score so much more for just an added $50?

I do not believe that Tool is that much more pricey than Foo Fighters.

6. Rusty_Shackleford

Regular

Prodigy are my faves and even with that, you are far from alone. This looks like if Chicago Open Air did a small market sister fest.

swboyd likes this.
  7. Ben Buchnat

Whatever. Forever.

Was excited, then saw the price. Ridiculous.

8. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I guess the jokes on me though cus I'm still gonna go.

Though I almost am tempted to just go to Sonic Temple. But by the time you add hotels and travel costs it'll end up being way more anyway plus time off work.

9. swboyd

I'm gonna make an assumption that this is just a main stage or initial announcement, but it'd be great if they clarified this because again this doesn't seem worth it for the $$$. If I still lived locally, I'd pass this in a heartbeat even though the undercard of this is pretty good (despite the fact that outside of the headliners every band on this thing tours frequently, Ghost nonwithstanding).

10. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Okay, yeah, especially considering the price, now I'm not so sure if I'd go.

11. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I am committed to going because I've never gone and SOAD and TOOL are bucket list bands for me. I'd need to hook up with a trolley going from the city to Bridgeview.

12. RogrStahlback

Trusted Supporter

It says "Full lineup"... Also i replied to their post saying that maybe they forgot to announce some bands and they replied that they haven't.

swboyd likes this.
  13. swboyd

Ah. To be fair, I haven't looked at the Facebook page for it. Just the flyer posted here.

14. Mtlman1331

Trusted

Yea I don’t know what they are doing with that price point, as far as festivals go that is overpriced. I didn’t spend that for a weekend pass for the first one that was three days.

15. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Although I guess if this was just an arena show and it wasn't a festival, I would consider $150 floor seats not that crazy so whatever I'm over it I'm just excited to see System. Price will definitely keep me from going both day though. If it was like $175 I probably would've for Fever 333 and the Prodigy, but I'm already seeing Fever open for BMTH so

16. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

It’s basically all the other festivals without the filler.

alkalinexandy likes this.
  17. swboyd

[​IMG]

As much as I don't like half the bands on this lineup, this isn't filler. The fact you get an extra day with acts like Disturbed, Lamb of God, Hailstorm, Refused and Killswitch Engage added on for basically an extra $60 before fees for a field GA ticket makes Chicago Open Air seem like highway robbery in comparison.

In conclusion:

Theemoflamingo likes this.
  18. Rusty_Shackleford

Regular

My conclusion is that stadiums are stupid expensive to rent for a weekend in the Chicagoland area.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  19. swboyd

IDK, man. Riot Fest is half the price of this shindig currently (apples and oranges comparison, but still) and that requires renting and permitting with the City of Chicago which is an expensive beast in itself. You seem like you get a lot more bang for your buck there.

20. Rusty_Shackleford

Regular

I don't think DWP does open ground festivals though. It's always in a stadium. I'm assuming Soldier Field, Wrigley Field, comis---er---us cel--er--GUARANTEED RATE field, UC and Toy---er---SEATGEEK stadium are all quite pricey versus the cost of Columbus, OH.

21. DesireToPlease

Regular

Epicenter Fest ftw.

22. Rusty_Shackleford

Regular

Theory- They knowingly put together a razor thin lineup and jacked the prices up to stash money for their impending loss in court to AEG. In fact, the initial goal was to change this fest as well to "A Day In The Park" and what we're seeing is what was supposed to be a two stage, one day lineup.

With that, either the one day thing happens next or it's curtains for Chicago Open Air in 2020.

One source: AEG Accuses Danny Wimmer of 'Stealing' Rock on the Range and Carolina Rebellion in Lawsuit

23. FFABR

That lawsuit looks pretty damn weak.

24. Rusty_Shackleford

Regular

Granted it's just a reddit post, but someone over there says DWP people are off the record admitting this razor thin festival is the result of the DWP/AEG lawsuit. Also, the lawsuit isn't pretty damn week. There are legs to it. Remember the fact that legal costs alone can get quite pricey and AEG has a pretty strong history of digging in their heels in previous suits/allegations.

25. RogrStahlback

Trusted Supporter

I just remembered that in 2017 many bands i wanted to see only came to the area for COA and it bummed me out because i hate seeing bands i love in festivals like that.

At least this year it won't happen.