Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chicago Open Air 2019 Tour

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by Rusty_Shackleford, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Rusty_Shackleford

Regular

This festival will be returning to Chicago May 17-19 which means we should expect a lineup sometime this winter (maybe a tease in early January?). The Riot Fest threads had tons of activity here so I thought maybe this one would as well.

Who does everyone think will play this thing?

My guess for the top three: System Of A Down / Nine Inch Nails / Avenged Sevenfold

2. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

To bring a joke back from the Riot Fest thread, Limp Bizkit but I'm totally serious

Cgarnsay and chewbacca110 like this.
  3. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

System playing would blow my dick off. As would Rage.

I'd like to see: Astronoid, Mastodon, Baroness, The Fever 333, Strawberry Girls, Night Verses.

4. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

I think Slipknot as a headliner is realistic, unless they end up routing a headliner through Chicago instead.

Then again, I'd also LOVE to see Riot Fest get them.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  5. rlngstrt

ADVENTR

Didn’t they say it’s going to be called ‘A Day in the Park’ next year?

6. Cgarnsay

Trusted

Parkway Drive and A Day to Remember confirmed!

ABRfan3295 and rlngstrt like this.
  7. Rusty_Shackleford

Regular

Not seeing that anywhere but I do know Rock On The Range is being changed to Sonic Temple.

8. rlngstrt

ADVENTR

9. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Interesting that they're changing the names. I wonder if that will mean a shift in musical genres/styles represented? Seems like they're hinting at something like that, as they reference the "diverse music lineup."

The artwork for Sonic Temple seems indicative of this too...

10. Rusty_Shackleford

Regular

You'd think they would re-direct their current URL's to the new festival name themed site.

11. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Interesting. I really kind of hope there's not a big change in who they book, because then I imagine it'll be in more competition with Riot Fest. I'm still interested in checking it out one of these years, hopefully the lineup will be good. I'm still waiting to see A7X one of these days, and I'd always be down for System. Slipknot would be cool as well.

alkalinexandy likes this.
  12. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I put that out there based on absolutely nothing except for my read of the name change (and the general tone of the e-mail). "A Day in the Park" just doesn't sound like a 'hard rock' festival to me... I wouldn't be shocked to see them lean more in the Riot Fest direction, if for no other reason than to diversify who they can justifiably book as a headliner.

The headliner pool for all festivals is relatively small once you get to a certain size... And fests like Open Air have an increasingly shrinking pool with some of the more "classic" acts retiring.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  13. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Oh yea it makes sense, but I just don't see it working out for them if they go that direction. They'd honestly be better to scale it back more and have it more warped tour style where there's not one specific headliner, in my opinion.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if that's what they are going to try to do is become like "hard rock meets warped tour" which would still diversify it a little more from Riot Fest.

14. Rusty_Shackleford

Regular

Liam Howlett (my avatar) of The Prodigy said yesterday in an interview that they are booked for several festivals already in the states but obviously cannot state which ones. Would Chicago Open Air be a good match? Coachella and Ultra are not options because they conflict with their Euro tour. Open Air/Rock On the Range (I know, new names but for now....) would give them several weeks after the Euro leg ends.

I don't think Riot Fest would pay up again unless they were doing Fat Of The Land and I don't think LN would book them for the now teenager friendly Lollapalooza.

Other options are ACL and maybe Bonnaroo?

Thoughts?

15. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I just don't see the people who own/manage this particular festival going that route. They want to do something on a larger scale with bona fide headliners.

I guess I don't see them going full "Riot Fest" or anything like that, though either... Just opening it up some. Maybe more along the lines of Montebello Rockfest? Where you'd still get the "hard rock" acts... But you'd also see Blink-182, Weezer, Run the Jewels, Wu-Tang Clan, etc. and some of those acts "undercard" counterparts on the line-up.

I feel like the Prodigy would be a fit for the "revamped" Chicago Open Air (and, frankly, they wouldn't have been out of place on the previous line-ups either; they're "heavy" for that genre). I could see Bonnaroo too, but definitely not Lolla.

16. chewbacca110

This hasn’t been officially announced, but I’m hoping this is it.

Attached Files:

17. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Isn't it confirmed it'll have a different name though? I would go to both days if that was it, but I'm skeptical.

18. chewbacca110

Just gimme Slipknot and SOAD and I am a happy boy.

19. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I mean, I can see a number of those bands winding up on the bill but... I have a feeling it's going to skew less hard rock/metal (see also: Sonic Temple).

Also...

It's being re-named to A Day in the Park.

20. RogrStahlback

Trusted Supporter

It looks fake AF. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it looks like a 5 year old kid made it.

Also, it's renamed to "A Day In The Park, not "2 Days In The Park"

ABRfan3295 and mattfreaksmeout like this.
  21. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I also don’t think BMTH is realistically in play because they’re playing Aragon in February, so coming back 3 months later doesn’t make a ton of sense when you consider that they could also come back and play Riot, and really even Lolla is in play (which I only say because they’re on all the South American Lolla lineups)

22. chewbacca110

Shoot. Forgot about the name change. Call a fake a fake, I guess.

23. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

24. Chickenmcbringinits

i like food

That lineup above is something some Chicago metal facebook page made as their "prediction". It's essentially pointless so disregard that haha.

weshankins34 and alkalinexandy like this.
  25. Rusty_Shackleford

Regular

Also, my avatar is definitely playing this thing (The Prodigy). They aren't traveling to the Midwest from the UK to only play one of the two fests ran by the same company on the same weekend, right?