Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chernobyl (Johan Renck, May 6, 2019) Movie • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Dinosaurs Dish, Mar 29, 2019.

1. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Wild considering the graphic violence their shows are known for.

2. RyanPm40 May 26, 2019
    (Last edited: May 26, 2019)
    RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Oh interesting, I would have thought the water would cause the radiation to soak into their skin and make it more dangerous

3. RyanPm40

4. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Pretty sure the divers survived because they drank Vodka as soon as they were done. Vodka is basically medicine.

5. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Water can be a good barrier to radiation; one solution offered up for long distance space missions to Mars is to make the outer shell of the spacecraft filled with water, giving astronauts a minor shield against space radiation/cosmic rays. It's not 100%, but it's effective. As for the interplay of water and radiation for the three divers who went down to search for the valve, not really sure why/how the radiation down there didn't effect them like the others there.

Also, good article: Chernobyl truths

coleslawed, RyanPm40 and Cameron like this.
  6. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Just started this and fucking love it (as much as you can “love” something like this).

I’ve always been fascinated by this incident and what happened so this is right up my alley.

First episode was pretty much perfection. As I know some have mentioned the main “bad guy” seemed a bit over the top but hoping that it was just him being in disbelief since something like this seemed like it could never happen, so I’m sure he was more or less being realistic and “cold” to keep people from panicking more when he thought they didn’t need to.

How many episodes is this miniseries? I hope it’s about a thousand or so

7. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

8. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

They move away from the idea that there are specific “villains” almost immediately, and I loved that decision. They get much more into how systemic the failures were from top to bottom that way.

BirdPerson and Ferrari333SP like this.
  9. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Bad reactor design, poorly organized protocol, lax safety standards, inept leadership - it was simply not a good situation

10. RyanPm40

Stellan Skarsgård's character's immediate change in demeanor on his face when Jared Harris's character flips out in the hotel about how they have 5 years max was some amazing acting

CarpetElf, BirdPerson and I Am Mick like this.
  11. RyanPm40

Oh my God when they came across the dog and her puppies :(

12. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Any chance you can send me a time stamp for this to be aware of? I can’t do that to myself.

13. RyanPm40

Around 46:20 to 47:30, but don't worry, they don't show anything. They cut to outside of the building before anything bad happens.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  14. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Thank you so much!

RyanPm40 likes this.
  15. RyanPm40

No problem!

On second thought, if even the idea of animal death is too much for you, you may want to avoid the opening scene with the cow and any scene the soldiers go hunting. But they really don't show much. When the kid goes for his first kill, you may want to skip that scene. That's actually probably the worst, most heartbreaking scene.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  16. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Just the whole operation to clear the roof, from first using robots, to then using "bio robots", i.e. real people, seems crazy, but it actually happened. I guess when this event is the first time anything like it has happened before, you have no precedent on how to go about solving it

RyanPm40 likes this.
  17. RyanPm40

Found a few photos from the roof clearing, looks like the show was very accurate

18. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Someone in the comments linked this documentary footage

RyanPm40 likes this.
  19. flask

Trusted Supporter

90 seconds of shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit

dylan likes this.
  20. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Thank you again! My sensitivity to that kind of thing has gone down somewhat over the years, but it’s still something I always want to know beforehand if possible.

21. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

This show just turned some dudes shoveling rocks into some of the most intense 90 seconds I've seen in a while. God damn. It's all so bleak. The animals, the poor old woman in the beginning of the episode, "bio robots"

22. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

23. RyanPm40

24. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah they never really addressed how the tunnel ended up in episode 3; kind of just ignored how it all played out, haha.

Also weird how they never addressed the sarcophagus they put over the reactor like 6 months after the explosion; in the podcast though they didn't want to start showing construction and then not show how it finishes/plays out (which doesn't vibe with the miner storyline, but whatever)

RyanPm40 likes this.
  25. RyanPm40

I feel like the show might have benefited from having one or two more episodes, but every single one has been great so we'll have to see how next week's wraps everything up :P

Ferrari333SP likes this.