Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chernobyl (Johan Renck, May 6, 2019) Movie • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Dinosaurs Dish, Mar 29, 2019.

1. tvck

Trusted

What is the podcast? I need my daily listening at work

RyanPm40 likes this.
  2. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

‎The Chernobyl Podcast on Apple Podcasts

It's the creator/writer of the miniseries and a host from NPR going over the production and whatnot of each episode in order. It's very good.

3. recall reality

"But existing is basically all I do!" Prestigious

The cells of the epidermis are some of the most rapidly reproducing in the body. Their DNA had been so scrambled and shattered that it literally did not know how to perform basic function, even on a cellular level. It's absolutely horrifying what that does to your body.

From the real life fireman's wife:

Edit: Missed that this was already posted, but man is it fucked. Seconding the podcast. It's fantastic.

Zilla, Dirty Sanchez and RyanPm40 like this.
  4. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Yeah I read that posted earlier. So fucked

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  5. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

The scene where she puts the sunglasses on him and laughs despite how horrific everything is was such a great little human moment.

6. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

id also like to add that i love how naive that character is at that moment...not realizing the severity of what's going on. Like, it's supposed to be a sweet moment of a wife consoling her dying husband...but that's now how i saw it. I saw it as off putting and it completely encapsulates the theme of people "not really getting it" (or just not understanding the ramifications).

to be fair, why should they know.

7. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I do think by that point her particular character is less naive and more just truly doesn’t care. The true horror of what we know now is present in every scene between them, but it’s not quite as misunderstood as moments like everyone getting together to watch the fallout.

8. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I am scared to start this.

9. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

To be honest, the nurses could have actually bothered telling the wife what could happen to her if she were to make contact with him, other than saying it isn't safe

BirdPerson likes this.
  10. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

right... and she's pregnant. I don't think it's carelessness from her, i think it's just not understanding what radiation poisoning is all about. The fact that her child could be fucked up. I'm sure if she really knew that, she would not have been so 'brave'

RyanPm40 likes this.
  11. tvck

Trusted

Just from what happened in the first episode with that one nurse freaking out about that fireman still having his clothes on, I'm assuming most of these nurses had 0 clue how to treat radiation poisoning or what it's effects would be.

12. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, they say in the show that an event like this has never happened on Earth before so it's understandable and realistic for most everyone not to know the extent to how horrific the consequences are.

ncarrab likes this.
  13. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, I view it all as super heartbreaking and unsettling to watch from a modern view, but I don’t blame anyone for not understanding the full extent of what is happening. I also don’t think that this particular woman would do anything differently even if she did. She was completely determined and shown to be strong enough to stay with him in that unfathomably terrible state just out of sheer devotion.

Since that quote was pulled earlier, is there more info on exactly what her life was (is?) like?

14. TheGuyfkaFringeofLunacy

Trusted Supporter

As others have said, I highly suggest the podcast that goes along with the mini series. Gives so much background not only on the decisions the show made but also background information about the event itself.

They talk about the naivety of everyone involved and how many people didn't have a full idea of what they were dealing with, the ramifications of what they were dealing, or exactly how to treat it. They mention in real life many of the older doctors thought vodka would help treat it. There is also the issue of the government just not stepping up to help with the lack of info and in fact tried to stifle/control what was said. The head scientist who was in the control room even has real life quotes of him thinking that the atom bent to man and they had the ultimate control over it.

DarkHotline and Dinosaurs Dish like this.
  15. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Exactly! The hubris of the people in charge of it all was a combination of naivety and misplaced pride in themselves.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  16. RyanPm40

Oh rad, I don't have an iPhone/Apple Music but looks like the podcast is in my Google Music app. Going to have to check this out. This stuff is so disturbingly interesting.

17. tvck

Trusted

Also on Spotify

RyanPm40 likes this.
  18. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Just FYI, any podcast that has an RSS feed URL, you can plug into most every podcast app and it'll pull it up.

coleslawed and RyanPm40 like this.
  19. RyanPm40

Good to know, I've never been one to listen to podcasts tbh, they're usually too long to keep my attention haha

20. flask

Trusted Supporter

It's also on youtube.

21. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Finished episode 3, and then went down an hour long rabbit hole of learning more details about all the events, and then the new containment structure itself they've built over. All fascinating stuff

Dinosaurs Dish and RyanPm40 like this.
  22. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

23. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

24. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Seeing people rot away from the radiation is probably one of the most horrifying things I’ve seen in a show in some time.

25. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Water is a good shield against radiation, hence why the men survived. They were more safe in the water than anywhere else in the plant.

RyanPm40 likes this.