Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chernobyl (Johan Renck, May 6, 2019) Movie • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Dinosaurs Dish, Mar 29, 2019.

1. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Some interesting facts

Chernobyl study on consequences available online | Wise International

One number that really stood out to me was just how many people cleaned this up and how many died. It's unbelievable:
    Of an estimated 750,000 Chernobyl clean-up workers, approximately 117,000 had died by 2005. Most of these were healthy young people in 1986.

Dinosaurs Dish likes this.
  2. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Man, I don’t even know what to say after watching each new episode. I can’t even muster my thoughts into a well thought-out sentence. The hubris of man, the sacrifice of man, the pain and anguish and suffering, the list goes on and on.

It’s beautifully shot and performed. The score is understated or non-existent and sets the tone for every scene.

I don’t know. It’s simultaneously blowing my mind and twisting my stomach into a knot. Some of those hospital scenes and images aren’t going to leave my mind for a while. It’s relentless. Shit, man.

3. tvck

Trusted

I couldn't have said this any better myself.

Dinosaurs Dish likes this.
  4. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Hey if you really want to fuck yourself up, here is the actual transcript from the wife of the fireman from this episode and what really happened to him. I'm going to spoiler tag it because it's fucking reallly bad. It also explains why she was holding his shoes at the burial

At the morgue they said, "Want to see what we'll dress him in?" I do! They dressed him up in formal wear, with his service cap. They couldn't get shoes on him because his feet had swelled up. They had to cut up the formal wear, too, because they couldn't get it on him, there wasn't a whole body to put it on. It was all — wounds. The last two days in the hospital — I'd lift his arm, and meanwhile the bone is shaking, just sort of dangling, the body has gone away from it. Pieces of his lungs, of his liver, were coming out of his mouth. He was choking on his internal organs. I'd wrap my hand in a bandage and put it in his mouth, take out all that stuff. It's impossible to talk about. It's impossible to write about. And even to live through. It was all mine.

5. tvck

Trusted

Jesus christ

6. Geez that is gruesome.

7. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Mary mother of god. What have we done?

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  8. dallasc

Trusted

Good fucking god episode 3

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  9. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I've been trying to think about what this show reminds me of and it finally dawned on me that it's Schindler's List. Obviously the subject matter is different, but they're beautifully shot representations of horrific historical events that fill you with dread. I doubt that's an original thought on there on the internet but it just popped into my head this morning.

thenewmatthewperry likes this.
  10. kupe

Regular

This is amazing, and incredibly horrifying. Not sure how this event isn't talked about more

RyanPm40 likes this.
  11. RyanPm40

Really scary to wonder if we could be absolutely fucked if we don't have skilled people to maintain these nuclear power plants all over the world. Even for something as simple as concrete beginning to crack and hardware starting to fall apart as they age...

Obviously I'm not a nuclear expert and don't know the safety of these things when they are unmanned. I do remember reading a headline of a nuclear plant in NH beginning to show some cracks in the concrete foundations for instance

12. RyanPm40

13. flask

Trusted Supporter

HBO asked them to tone down some of the hospital stuff, which is insane. I can’t wrap my mind around Amikov’s face being “gone.”

14. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I wondered the same thing

RyanPm40 likes this.
  15. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

If the way the firemen/plant workers looked was even somewhat resembled what they actually looked like then fuuuuuck

What a terrible way to die

16. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Watched the first two episodes last night and holy shit is this frightening.

I actually live within 10 miles of a nuclear power plant and I'm always worried something crazy is going to happen. I also work for a school district and every year we have a meeting with FEMA about proper evacuations of our schools - and transporting students/staff to other cities - if there were ever an emergency and it's always so depressing/scary to think about.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  17. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

The only worry I have with this show is of it increasing fear of nuclear power again instead of showing general audiences just how many things had to fail in such a particular way to end up with the disaster. It’s still a tremendous show no matter what, but I have been concerned about what the lasting takeaway will be.

coleslawed likes this.
  18. RyanPm40

Yeah I've seen photos of radiation victims who look much worse. It's really scary

There was some other nuclear accident in another country and they kept a guy alive for over 80 days despite pleading to let him die. His last words were something like "I want my mommy". His skin basically looked like the show, but he was pretty much bone, no muscle definition at all

19. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I can't wait to see Barry Keoghan next week.

coleslawed and BirdPerson like this.
  20. drewinseries

Drew

Seems like I should not wait for this to be over to binge, looks like I could use the time between episodes to watch videos of puppies or something.

21. tvck

Trusted

I think that would be wise. It's truly unsettling

22. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, please do not try to do over five hours of this at once.

23. RyanPm40

Oh man this show is so gripping I could easily binge it

24. tvck

Trusted

[​IMG]

25. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Going one episode at a time also helps you listen to the official podcast episodes individually, which has been great.

coleslawed and drewinseries like this.