Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chernobyl (Johan Renck, May 6, 2019) Movie • Page 10

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Dinosaurs Dish, Mar 29, 2019.

1. GBlades

Trusted

When the epilogue stated the official death toll unchanged since 1987 was 31, that shocked me more than most. The epilogue was done brilliantly, just like the entire show.

aoftbsten and domotime2 like this.
  2. drewinseries

Drew

Watching Ep 4 right now and damn do I want it to end.

3. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

I absolutely loved this show. Im still listening to the Podcast,which I highly recommend everyone check out if they havent already.

marsupial jones likes this.
  4. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

As an Ukrainian american.... I needed this reminder of fuck russia. I mean, I know fuck russia, but sometimes you forget just how much fuck russia.

Great series.

GrantCloud, Brent, coleslawed and 3 others like this.
  5. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

6. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

Impeccable series, easily one of my favourite mini-series.

7. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Yup, this was incredible start to finish.

Just waiting for the backlash to begin, people saying it's bullshit and nowhere near as good as people say, etc

Dinosaurs Dish likes this.
  8. tvck

Trusted

luckily it's been pretty unanimous on praise outside of people being upset they didn't use native Russian/Ukrainian speakers/accents

RyanPm40 likes this.
  9. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, that seems like a weird takeaway after finishing a great show. Not EVERYTHING is destined for backlash just because it is highly praised. Especially a miniseries where you don’t have to worry about future seasons or completing a story. They’ve already said everything they wanted to.

10. RyanPm40

Yeah, I mean, maybe there could be some people from that area who will think it's grossly exaggerated in regards to the government's involvement, but it seems to be pretty universally praised.

11. tvck

Trusted

For sure, I could see that. I do think the podcast is a great listen to hear why they took some of the creative liberties they took. The show wouldn't be nearly as interesting without some of the choices they made.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  12. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I thought it was interesting that they mentioned their fabrication of Emily Watson’s character explicitly in the epilogue. That was a nice touch considering it had been one of the only criticisms about the show, and showed that it wasn’t done entirely for the sake of adding fictional drama.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  13. drewinseries

Drew

I imagine it was way better for storytelling to put all of the other scientists answering the questions of what happened into a single character, since we were meant to focus on Harris' character for the experience of it.

14. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh definitely, I just didn’t expect that reasoning to be mentioned in canon.

drewinseries likes this.
  15. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Even trying to think in a contrarian point of view, the only things I could see people criticizing is the accent thing, which I think is clear we all agree isn't a problem, and then criticizing the gore/violence of it all as gratuitous but I think it honors what the people who sacrificed themselves went through and is important to see.

Unless you're not into serious dramatic representations of historical events, I can't see anyone disliking it at all.

16. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Wow, the finale has a 10 on IMDB. Don’t know if I’ve ever seen that before. Obviously it won’t last, but that’s kind of fun even for a brief moment.

17. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

18. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

This was great. So so great.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  19. RyanPm40

[​IMG]

20. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

my criticism was that episode 4 did drag a tiny bit. Like the 'shooting pets' thing, was tragic, and definitely a good story to tell...but maybe a tad too much time?

RyanPm40 likes this.
  21. RyanPm40

I totally agree. It was a good episode for sure, but felt like a small dip compared to the rest of the miniseries

domotime2 likes this.
  22. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I think that suffered a bit from the fact that there were only five episodes and suddenly we were dealing with a brand new side story four episodes in. Maybe if it had been a little longer and had more time focused on other aspects of the aftermath elsewhere it wouldn’t have stood out as much. The SUPER tight story was mostly a big plus for keeping it all at a high level, but there were a few places where it was a negative as well.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  23. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

3 is my least favorite just because I'm super squeamish and couldn't stand seeing the radiation burns

24. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

That’s weird because the other day it was a 9.4 and then a 9.8. You’d assume something would only be a 10 if no one voted for anything other than a 10

25. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I think two and three were my favorite just for the human interactions. Harris and Skarsgård were so good just watching their relationship unfold.

Dinosaurs Dish likes this.