Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Charlie Simpson to Release New Album

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Charlie Simpson will release Little Hands on May 5th. The album is a collection of songs written and recorded between 2010-2016, and is being released in celebration of the upcoming Busted reunion tour. A teaser video and the track listing are below.

Track Listing

1. Emily
    2. Little Hands
    3. Walking with the San
    4. Barricades of Heaven
    5. If I Hide, Will You Come Looking?
    6. Parachutes
    7. Re: Stacks (Bon Iver cover)
    8. Long Road Home
    9. Lost
    10. The Day Texas Sank to the Bottom of the Sea

2. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Oh damn. I wonder if these are going to be different version of the already released album songs (Emily, Parachutes, Long Rode Home) or not?

Also that Barricades of Heaven cover is phenomenal.

3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

How do you do this and not include "Life is Life"?

4. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Good question, Craig. Maybe he thought there were too many covers?

From the looks of this:

Emily - From Long Road Home (Acoustic version, maybe?)
    Little Hands - Previously unreleased in any form
    Walking With the San - From "Singing In the Rainforest" TV show
    Barricades of Heaven (Jackson Browne cover) - From "Farmer and His Gun" 7-inch (I have this signed)
    If I Hide, Will You Come Looking? - From When We Were Lions EP
    Parachutes - from Young Pilgrim (Acoustic version, maybe?)
    Re: Stacks (Bon Iver Cover) - From Cemetery single
    Long Road Home - From Long Road Home (acoustic version, maybe?)
    Lost - From When We Were Lions EP
    The Day Texas Sank to the Bottom of the Sea (Micah P Hinson cover?) - Previously unreleased

5. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

I mean I understand re-releasing the EP songs again for people who might've missed that back when it came out, but re-releasing songs from the two full-lengths in their album forms seems like it would be odd to me when, like Craig said, you could include awesome songs like the Life Is Life cover or more.

6. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

That 15 second clip sounds better than any of the once upon a dead man ep.

7. zachff

deadformat.net/collection/zachff Prestigious

Any pre-order info out there yet?

8. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

That's what I was thinking. Only song I really need from this is the title track, sounds good though.

9. GetUpAndrew

Constant horror and bone-deep dissatisfaction.

Everything he has released so far has been superb, will surely purchase this.

10. metallikunt

I'm in love with the ordinary

Ahhh finally. He mentioned this back in August. This was from an email he sent out:

Over the past few weeks I've recorded a collection of new songs and covers with my good friend and producer Sam Featherstone at Price Studios in London. One of the new tracks is called 'Little Hands', which was written about having a baby, before I even knew that my wife was pregnant! I have also recorded a new intimate version of 'Emily', one of my favourite songs from Long Road Home, and we've edited it into a video with some of the amazing footage from my show at the Roundhouse last year. These new recordings will be released as an album soon, so stay tuned...

The way that is written, it might mean that they're all newly recorded versions of the already released songs. Not only that but the YouTube teaser page states that there are 10 previously unreleased songs. Either way, glad to see this finally getting a release. Sounds like he will be releasing Emily as a single if they did a video for it. Hoping to get a vinyl release to add to my other 2 Charlie albums. Will purchase two vinyl copies like I did with the other two albums!

11. SpyKi

yo if there's a new version of Lost I will lose my shit. That's my favourite song of his.

12. mybreakingpoint

The Greatest Escapegoat

Holy shit, I'm all about this. This looks awesome. I've also never listened to Busted. I enjoy his solo stuff and Fightstar, so should I be seeking out some Busted music?

13. SpyKi

Idk, they don't really sound anything like Fightstar or his solo stuff but if you enjoy pop music they're worth a listen. I think at least check out their new stuff whenever it comes out.

There's some of my favourite Busted songs. I think you'll probably like the last two at least since they're basically the first solo Charlie songs, ha.

14. WhosBroden?

Regular Prestigious

I honestly have no idea how to feel about this. We've heard the vast majority of these before. I'm not saying it is, but it almost feels like this may be making its way onto shelves just to capitalize on the Busted reformation hype.

15. SpyKi

I definitely think that's part of it.

16. metallikunt

I don't think so. If that were the case he'd be advertising the shit out of this but he hasn't mentioned it once, yet!

It's definitely a great collection of songs, that's for sure.

17. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Still gotta listen to this. I agree that it's capitalizing somewhat on Busted hype.

Also, Busted is hands down my favorite discovery of this year. Honestly kinda mad at myself for just now catching on to them.

SpyKi likes this.
  18. SpyKi

He's mentioned it a few times but definitely isn't actively promoting it. I think it's too much of a coincidence with little other reason to be completely separate though.

19. metallikunt

Yeah, I mean I can kinda see it but he advertised the hell out of OUADM and I feel like if he wanted the cash grab, he'd be doing the same here. I literally forgot it was being released this month due to hearing nothing about it and then getting the newsletter email.

Personally I wish he'd just done another EP instead of including all of the old stuff along with it (I do hear a few re-records though too). I mean as an anthology kinda thing, it does make sense though. I do feel like this would be more of a "here's a taster spanning my solo career and what it sounds like" for any possible new fans, coming from the Busted tour, more so than a money grab. I dunno, this whole record release seems strange considering it was recorded back in August and now the lack of promotion regarding it. I mean, shit, we know the guy likes to make music for the hell of it, that could just be the case here too. He's a monster when it comes to getting music out there for his fans, spanning all of the genres, it's kind of amazing really. I just feel like he's not in any of this for the money and he's legit doing it because he wants to and loves the whole process of making music. I can't help but feel like he is genuinely excited to be back with Busted just to see what they can put out there these days. As a major fan of his work for years, I know I am. If the Busted album sounds anything like "Coming Home" and the 2016 version of "Meet You There", color me extremely excited!

Sorry for the long post :-)

20. SpyKi

I can see him not really wanting to shamelessly promote it or anything like that since it is basically all old stuff but I think he could easily sell it at the Busted tour as an introduction to his solo stuff for new fans. I don't think it's a bad thing and I wouldn't call it a cash grab as much as a chance to get more people to try out his solo stuff. It's clearly not for hardcore fans who already have everything.

I wrote that before I properly read your second paragraph, haha. I was really disappointed in "Coming Home" though, Busted have always meant a lot to me and I was and still am so excited to hear their new stuff but that's probably my least favourite song they've ever released.