Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Charli XCX Band • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Henry, Mar 8, 2016.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

If the album was Vroom Vroom style it wouldn't shake anything up because it's not something the public likes

2. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I'm not going to debate you on the quality of the music here because your feelings on PC Music/maximalism is not undocumented, but I'm sure you'd admit that giving people something new and unexpected is more likely to shake things up then more of the same (whether you like it or not is irrelevant to the argument)

3. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

It would shake things up if she was a bigger artist for sure but she's relatively small in the pop world

4. irthesteve

I'm just saying that the Vroom Vroom EP tested those waters "shaking" up the pop world and they didn't respond. 3 songs off Sucker charted, two of which went platinum, nothing off Vroom Vroom ever charted. The Vroom video has 3 million views compared to 9, 29, 88, and 287 million for the videos off Sucker.

I'm not saying that going that direction for a full album is a guarantee flop, but I definitely disagree with your mindset of "if she was smart..." then she would do that

5. irthesteve

Afterparty video already has 2 million after 3 weeks and is slowly charting in the US and AUS so far. I'd say she's being pretty smart overall finding the mid-way point of Vroom and the mainstream pop world. Having SOPHIE and Stargate balance each other out is a really smart idea

6. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

saying "if she was smart" was legit terrible on my behalf and I apologize for that. I guess I really wanted to see her do something audibly daring - I thought she was going to be the one that married accessibility with extreme sonics and a left-field sensibility like she did on the VV record and all of those unreleased tracks. I can't help but feel that the end result is really watered down but I was not a big fan of hers prior and am obviously not the demographic she is trying to appeal to.

Still, with PC getting backing from Colombia and artists like CRJ getting on board, I'm still waiting for someone to take on that aesthetic and translate it into something mainstream radio might care about. On those grounds, I can't help but feel a little disappointed. Really hope I like the record (and probably will) but I still feel like not letting Sophie go off was a bit of a wasted opportunity - embracing the excess of pop music to the extent they have together could have shaken things up. Just my feelings and I understand I'm in the minority in terms of what will sell a platinum record, I just don't give a shit about any of that lol

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

8. irthesteve

9. irthesteve

Give a listen before it's inevitably pulled down. Supposedly written for Gwen Stefani in 2014.

10. irthesteve

11. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

“‘Vroom Vroom’ is a pretty good blueprint for how crazy it gets”

PRAISEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Joel likes this.
  12. Damn how many new songs has she played at this point, more than 10 right ? Hopefully they'll all be released, be it on the full lenght or on the mixtape.

13. So far my favorites are Round & Round, No Angel and Girls' Night Out

14. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  15. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

16. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Album's supposed to be in May, so I hope the mixtape comes soon.

17. irthesteve

She just posted on IG that she is finishing up the mixtape

18. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

probably Feb then I'm guessing?

19. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I'm so stoked

20. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

Yay

21. Henry

Moderator Moderator

She said the album should be out around may.

22. Henry

Moderator Moderator

23. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I can't stop listening to this.

24. irthesteve

not completely sold on it, but it's certainly fun

25. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I think I've listened to this song and the 'remix' about 50 times today. Lol