Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chance the Rapper - The Big Day (July 26, 2019) Album • Page 45

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Jul 16, 2018.

1. PauLo

43% Burnt

I still need to get round to giving this a listen. If I've slowly lost interest in Chance since Acid Rap, is this going to make me wanna listen to him again?

2. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

Depends who you ask but I'm in the same boat and........no.....

Omni and Lenin like this.
  3. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I was the same way. Loved 10 Day and Acid Rap. Couldn’t get into Coloring Book whatsoever and was so so on all the singles he’s released recently but I like much of The Big Day.

4. The Lucky Moose Aug 2, 2019
    (Last edited: Aug 2, 2019)
    The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I’d say this is more for the CB crowd than the AR crowd, in as far as those exist. Then again, you might appreciate some of the musical references. I mean, there’s a song that has both En Vogue and a 1991 Twista reference on it. There’s also Footwork, as someone else mentioned already.

5. congruence

Got a light?

IDK, I'd argue that people who weren't as into Coloring Book could potentially like this more as it's not heavily religious (if that was a turnoff) and he kind of comes off as a little more experimental and charmingly goofy on some of the tracks, similar to Acid Rap. Now, I liked all of his releases aside from Groceries and wasn't expecting a lot here but there are definitely 5 or 6 I'd definitely call great songs, some good, and some I probably won't listen to again

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  6. The Lucky Moose

Fair enough. My mind just went "gospel and weddings are closer together" lol

7. PauLo

43% Burnt

So I’m 5 and half tracks in and... it’s a struggle. Especially that first track. You know there are some songs that rub you up the wrong way almost immediately? That first track did that. The tracks with Smino and Dababy were ok, but mostly because of their features. The 5th track was ok too. I stopped listening half way through track 6 as it was slowly becoming apparent that this isn’t the Chance album I was hoping for. I honestly can’t remember anything Chance did outside of annoy me on that first track! I am fully aware that I’m alone with this opinion, so I’ll shut up now.

I’m gonna be checking out more of Dababy because of it, though. So it gets a thumbs up for that I guess haha

8. congruence

Got a light?

Oh I see this perspective too and think it's probably more realistic, I could just see it being the other way for some people

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  9. congruence

Got a light?

It's getting to the point where Eternal is a top tier Chance track for me, that along with Let's Go on the Run and Do you Remember are definite standouts

10. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I don’t think this sounds much like coloring book or acid rap, all his releases kind of have their own vibe.

OotyPa and The Lucky Moose like this.
  11. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

NF actually outsold this album

12. btr

Trusted Supporter

Looking like 125k to 118k

13. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

14. manoverboard365

Trusted

Chance came out during Death Cab's Lollapalooza set today.

15. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I was there and it was great!

16. username

hey you lil piss baby

I wonder if this would have happened if he dropped at midnight.

17. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Seeing him come out for Death Cab yesterday was so cool

18. btr

Trusted Supporter

Or dropped a single prior to release

19. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

To me, this feels like Chance’s most confident and fully realized work- but im not super surprised at its first week numbers. Had a pretty terrible rollout.

unbornwhiskey and irthesteve like this.
  20. Omni

Regular

The rollout was pretty bad but I think what actually hurt his numbers was the critical reception and fan reactions on social media. It no doubt put a lot of people off from checking it out. There was pretty big hype for a new Chance album before that at least from what I saw.

21. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Really horrible rollout, 2 months of only Groceries then the album 12 hours later than expected. Cool.

Lenin likes this.
  22. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

He came out and did Eternal with Smino at Lolla

23. The Lucky Moose

These aren’t exactly bad numbers though lol

24. Omni

Regular

Not bad, just lower than I would have expected for him.

25. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Got tickets for the tour. I like the new album more than most but I hope the setlist isn't too heavy on it still

It'll be my fourth time seeing him though so I'm cool with a new experience too