Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chance the Rapper - The Big Day (July 26, 2019) Album • Page 11

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

Idk, personally I’m going to give him a full project before I go close to saying that I’ve soured on him lol, especially after releasing three projects I really enjoy (four of you count Surf)

Zilla likes this.
  2. Vs.

Regular

Chance has done more as an activist than the majority of musicians. And again, he’s only 26.

Zilla likes this.
  3. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Well first he uses his platform to spread bullshit white supremacist concepts unwittingly, and now it looks like his music is making a turn towards non political, non message based, pure fun. Those two paired are a big sour spot for me, he has a great opportunity for inspiring change that he has either been fumbling or ignoring.

Maybevictor likes this.
  4. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

I think it is important to acknowledge the really good work he has done in Chicago with the youth and other projects. I don’t think it absolves him from some of the other things we’ve mentioned here, but feels unfair to ignore completely.

Vs. and Zilla like this.
  5. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

I feel... sort of the opposite? I think it’s unfair to ignore the dumb shit he’s tweeted, we don’t have to forget about that. But al the time, effort, and money he’s put towards local schools and creative arts in his community is much more significant

cherrywaves likes this.
  6. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I think it’s also worth noting that Chance apologized and explained the tweet about Kanye and Trump in a sincere way. He also walked back his work with R. Kelly. I do think he shows an ability to grow and accept the times when he’s messed up.

Vs. and Owlex like this.
  7. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Based off of a single song? Again, I'm going to wait for an artist who has written some of the more powerful, personal and political songs in the past few years to put out an entire album before I jump to assume he's not writing about that shit anymore because he dropped a fun track on Triller and is trying to make it a (so far failed) viral sensation/dance.

8. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I don’t know man, It’s this one song as the lead single plus every other clip I’ve heard from this so far. I think he’s all in on a dance album with no overt political or personal songs, or least not a focus on that.

Again, I’d love to be surprised, but that’s where my expectations are in and it’s not just the one song leading me to this.

9. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Ay, if that's the case and there's no powerful shit on this then I'll be as disappointed as anyone. I've used Chance in my classroom since he came out. If he whiffs on this one it'll hurt.

I just get a weird taste in my mouth about people in here (and on other shitty parts of the internet) almost being happy about writing Chance off. Saying shit like we were "tricked" into thinking he was great is just baffling to me. Reads to me like a lot of people caught up in the /mu/reddit hivemind than it does a genuine reaction to a song that, and I agree with this, isn't very good.

It goes along with my frustration about how quick people are to hype something up as a masterpiece or an instant classic as well. Why do we have to jump to the hottest of takes immediately? Why do we need 50 posts saying Chance lost it or he's a fraud or whatever when we don't even have an album yet?

I don't like the song either. I don't like the shit he said around the Kanye tweets. I also respect him enough as an artist and an advocate to take his word for it when he says that he is sorry and that he is going to create change.

username, Owlex, matthaber and 2 others like this.
  10. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I feel this, I think I’ve just lost hope in expecting bigger things and now expect the let down, the musical regression, the lack of emotional clarity, and the lack of social accountability both in his music and personal life. Still haven’t heard a word about the abusive guys he hangs out with. I get what you’re say and agree, but for Chance there’s been a lot of stuff weighing on me and this is all adding up.

11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Ya, he called out the Save Money crew on their abusive shit but from what I saw other places they were all at his wedding still. that sucks too.

incognitojones likes this.
  12. CAC3

Dog

You can do it Chano! I'm kind of enjoying that the 'first single' has made me a bit nervous, so I can be pleasantly surprised when I hear the whole project. I do think he is too talented to at least have a few songs that I absolutely connect with.

Summer Friends may be my favorite chance track ever. Give me more of that.

13. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Summer friends is incredible. Reminds me of everything I like about Paranoia, which is another one of my favorites from him.

14. username

hey you lil piss baby

Haven't listened but here ya go

15. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Not a fan of Ed Sheehan, but I dig it on first listen.

16. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

Uhhh this is a lot better than Chance's single lol.

Zilla and irthesteve like this.
  17. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

This is a slapper damn.

18. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Song is a jam

19. Signifire

Headphones blaring three stacks Prestigious

Oh yeah this is a bop

20. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Yeah this was exactly what i wanted
    , so much fun.

21. cherrywaves

Trusted

I’m sure as hell not about to listen to Ed Sheeran on my own volition, so I’ll take everyone’s word for it.

PauLo likes this.
  22. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Its a standard pop song about an insecure guy in a relationship? Chance drops a forgettable pop sixteen with mostly filler.

23. OotyPa

fall away

It's better than Groceries. Not fantastic, but a song I'd be hyped to hear when it (inevitably) comes on the radio.

24. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

It’s fine

25. PauLo

43% Burnt

Ed Sheeran is music that you should only ever have to hear if it's on in a shop.