Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chairlift Band • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Keagan Ilvonen, Jan 22, 2016.

1. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

Definitely the best on here, love it so much

I hear moth to the flame in stores and restaurants a lot

mescalineeyes likes this.
  2. mescalineeyes

I wanna dance to me Prestigious

Ironically I think Look Up isn't quite as strong as it could've been, doesn't prepare you for what a flawless run the rest of the album is.

3. SOMETHIN BETTER THAN WHAT YOURE ASKING FOR KID

TONIIIIIIEEEIIIIIIIGHT

brandon_260 likes this.
  4. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I think Look Up opens the album wonderfully. But I also think the album is pretty much perfect/without flaws so w/e. The only weird thing is that it feels like it has two closers, but they're both great song so idc!!

mescalineeyes and trevorshmevor like this.
  5. cwhit

i rarely listen to the last two songs on here

6. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Unfinished Business is one of the best on the album though!

trevorshmevor likes this.
  7. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

agree with the first 5 songs. falls off for me after that

8. cwhit

9. cwhit

10. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Not my place to comment really as I respect Caroline immensely, and I get where she's coming from.

Just seems like we really want organizers and promoters to make a point of diversifying line-ups and it seems like they were doing this in a pro-active way with good intentions. I don't think choosing to highlight voices that too often go unheard of really tokenizes anything or should be detrimental. Can't win situation, I guess.

mescalineeyes likes this.
  11. cwhit

i get what she means though. what if they announced the lineup without making it a big deal that they were making it an all non-dude announcement. especially since there are dudes in the lineup. it's taken a little time pondering this whole thing but i absolutely get it

12. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

yeah that makes sense. I still think they meant well and am starting to feel like there's no right way to do anything lol

13. cwhit

it's like, why do we have a thread on here that is LGBTQ+/POC thread? what relates those two groups other than the fact that they are underprivileged? we don't put cismen into broad categories like that why we should do that to non-cismen?

14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

That thread always confuses me, whenever a POC artist is in there I'm like " did they come out and I'm unaware"

15. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I think I agree wholeheartedly with Caroline's sentiment. What’s progressive about using terms like poc/trans/queer/all female as a selling point? It’s one thing to do this, but to explicitly draw attention to it feels self-congratulatory.

I feel very similar about what TIFF has been doing wrt female directed films this year. They’re been drawing so much attention to what they’re doing in programming these films that it almost seems counter intuitive to just programming the work and letting it speak for itself.

trevorshmevor and cwhit like this.
  16. cwhit

exactly. let the representation speak for itself, don't make a huge deal about it

17. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I mean I get it, and I don't disagree with her at all - she can play with and better than the boys. I just get sort of caught on the feeling that it's masturbatory which I don't entirely see. I mean, all over this site I see "why is this lineup all white dudes" and then I feel like something comes out where they explicitly say "none of these people are white dudes" and it's like, great but you cant TALK about it. I'm not sure there's anything wrong with celebrating that, especially given a phase 1 lineup is likely the biggest ticket seller. If anything, it's saying "this fest can survive on these marginalized people alone and we believe in them".

If I was among them, I'm sure I'd feel differently and I'm not throwing stones. Just think it was done out of respect and not in the spirit of a pity platform. I don't really feel comfortable posting anymore tho bc it does not concern or involve me and thus have no right really so not sure why I'm still typing

18. username

hey you lil piss baby

Got to chat with Caroline tonight and she said she’s made lots of new Music and stuff should be otw this year!!!

She was supposed to perform some new stuff tonight but her set didn’t end up happening.

Fronnyfron likes this.
  19. username

hey you lil piss baby

I discovered the alternate version of Crying in Public yesterday and it is now dominating my life

trevorshmevor likes this.
  20. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I hadn't put together that Caroline was the singer for Chairlift until after the show the other night. What a revelation. lol

Fronnyfron and ChiliTacos like this.
  21. Fronnyfron

Woke Up Right Handed Prestigious

Damn, that's wild