Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

When They See Us (Ava DuVernay, May 31, 2019, Netflix) TV Show

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jul 9, 2018.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

4 part miniseries coming to Netflix next year, directed by Ava DuVernay and starring Michael K. Williams and John Leguizamo as fathers of the accused, and Vera Farmiga as the Assistant DA

Anthony_ likes this.
  2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Anthony_ likes this.
  3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

coleslawed likes this.
  4. username

hey you lil piss baby

I had no idea this was a thing! Ava is so good. I can’t wait to check it out.

5. mike1885

Trusted Supporter

First episode was excellent.

6. Zilla Jun 3, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 3, 2019)
    Zilla

Trusted Supporter

This is excellent. Felt like the courtroom stuff may have been the weakest part. But overall, man this breaks you heart, builds it back up and breaks it again. The cast and Ava’s direction is so good.

mike1885 likes this.
  7. mike1885

Trusted Supporter

Agree 100%. This deserves all of the miniseries Emmys this summer.

8. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Hard to watch. Harder knowing not much has changed in 30 years

figureitout, Zilla and mike1885 like this.
  9. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Just started this. Already feel terrible.

10. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

This is heartbreakingly hard to watch. I’m not sure if I can finish. Ugh

11. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, there’s a part where it seems to get better. But the first half of the last episode is very depressing and rough to watch.

12. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Finish it

13. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

im SHOCKED this isn't getting more talk on here? This was a fucking horror movie. It took all my energy to finish episode 1... and then almost burst into tears after episode 2. Holy shit. About to start episode 3...

this is done so well

mike1885, Zilla and BirdPerson like this.
  14. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

I think every white person on this site should have to watch this, and then make every white person they know watch it too. And so on.

I don't know if we can ever undo the harm we've caused

domotime2 likes this.
  15. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

finished it today. Amazing work. Probably the saddest thing i've watched since like, schinders list. Haunting, amazingly done, GREAT acting, and a tons of scenes that are forever haunting and life changing. I absolutely hate cops and the systemic nature of our society, but seeing a piece of art like this really just makes you want to punch people in the face.

My one critique, i wonder if this was supposed to be on purpose, or maybe they just didn't really have the time to show it but at the end when that womans saying the speech about "how they never gave up on them...they had their backs"... but that was sort of contradictory to what we saw. Their lives outside were miserable and they barely had any support at all.

16. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

This was fantastic. There were moments I was shaking in anger seeing what happened to these poor people. I’m glad they were redeemed but such a shame they can never get those years of their life back.

17. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

This is gut wrenching, and so well done. Tough to watch, especially episodes 1 and 4, but I loved it.

18. Episode one is the most upsetting thing I've seen in a long time

domotime2 and DrAlanGrant like this.
  19. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

I gotta say as someone who tries to avoid recreational sadness, this was horrifically depressing

20. Man the Kory stuff was just so devastating. I was crying for a good ten minutes during episode 4 around the Coney island stuff.

domotime2 likes this.
  21. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

This was like a really devastating, depressing horror movie. It's been on my mind for days now after watching it.

Deeply unsettling but it's a must-see for everyone.

BirdPerson likes this.
  22. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Just got around to watching episode one. What the fuck.

23. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Finished episode two. Assuming this is all done fairly accurate to the real story, this is maddening to watch. But it is very well done.

24. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Fuck this show. This first episode is so sad, and scary.

Did any of these cops/detectives/attorneys get prosecuted???

25. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Trump said that stuff?! Oh boy, and our girl Ava put him back on the spot after they were exonerated. Good.