Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Cecil Frena - The Gridlock (Feburary 9, 2018) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, Aug 31, 2017.

1. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, it's really unfortunate. I expected at least Stereogum to be on it. I think the biggest I've seen is Exclaim! but that's likely just because the Canadian connection.

2. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Yup, if you google "artist - album review" the only one I recognize is Exclaim which I'm guessing most people not near a Canadian city hub wouldn't have a clue about

Exactly how I felt when I Am An Exit came out, could've been huge. He's remained in obscurity for a while so I'm sure he's used to it, but as a long time believer in his music (and the best live show...ever?) it's a bummer

3. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

yeah, this might be one of the most overlooked records in recent memory. it's weird how like, smaller artists can get through based on their DIY connections/buzz but this was just pretty much not known about anywhere. i've been tempted to write about it just to get something on the internet praising it, but i don't know where i'd put it

the only real other publicity has been ian cohen tweeting about it lol, was hoping he'd get something up but it's not looking likely

4. Smage

lo mein connoisseur Supporter

I do the "artist-album review" thing pretty often so I saw that Exclaim review but that basically is the only review out there. I wonder what "filter" certain albums have to go through to get reviews that around this size in popularity.

Joel likes this.
  5. cwhit

it's generally based on labels, publicists, and buzz. the label/publicist for this have not seemed to do much, which really sucks.

i always imagine what could have happened if i ran this campaign, lol. i would have pushed it to a bunch of writers i know would have enjoyed it and hopefully gotten some buzz from there

Smage likes this.
  6. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

I got my gold record (1/100) today in the mail! Will post pictures later! I can't wait to unbox it!

7. Smage

lo mein connoisseur Supporter

It's all real interesting because I know the Awakebutstillinbed album literally came from nowhere with no previous albums or anything behind the band yet they are blowing up. I've never heard of Cecil Frena before this album and apparently he has had past work, but still not much coverage.

8. cwhit

absib got twitter push from the right people and the right publications, that community can have things spread pretty wildly if the right people are buzzing about it and saying the right things

9. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

:wave:

10. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

A few songs in, and this isn’t what I was expecting. I like it so far though.

11. cwhit

still haven’t heard anything that approaches how good this is this year yet

Larry David likes this.
  12. Larry David

13. cwhit

still wish I had the gold over the white but ah well

Larry David likes this.
  14. Larry David

Still available buddy! Treat yourself!

15. zmtr

Trusted

what the fuck is this album? this is incredible

shout out to @bachna84

Mary V, bachna84 and Larry David like this.
  16. zmtr Mar 1, 2018
    (Last edited: Mar 1, 2018)
    zmtr

Trusted

I'm honestly blown away by the variation of the instrumentation on this thing. It's beautiful. Wow.

edit: omg @ "I Believe in Dancing" :verysad:

17. bachna84

we are nothing more than mannequins Prestigious

I gotta give all the credit here to @Larry David and @cwhit ! It's a really great album though and I'm glad you're enjoying it :)

Mary V and Larry David like this.
  18. cwhit

that song has been a stunner since i first listened to it months ago, i'm so glad other people can finally see the brilliance there

bachna84, Mary V, Larry David and 2 others like this.
  19. zmtr

Trusted

It's outrageously infectious.

Larry David likes this.
  20. zmtr

Trusted

This is without a doubt the best 2018 release I've heard so far. Need to see this guy live.

bachna84, Mary V and Larry David like this.
  21. cwhit

it's really good. though i'm somewhat spoiled from the first time i saw him because i saw him like this with this jacket

Larry David likes this.
  22. zmtr

Trusted

Currently driving to see Phoebe in a snow storm I'll check this out later. Is the Born Gold stuff just as good? I'm seriously already addicted to this record

Larry David likes this.
  23. zmtr

Trusted

My Good Grades slaps as well

Mary V and Larry David like this.
  24. cwhit

it's very different, more electronic based. his early born gold records/gobble gobble is more glitchy electropop, he mellowed a little out for the last two but you can see the same sort of songwriting prowess you see here.

you are my compass is pretty much a born gold song, and hyphen and boredom were both born gold songs from like, 2014

zmtr and Larry David like this.
  25. cwhit

it truly makes me happy to see so many people on this though, makes me feel like my incessant nagging about how good this record is paying off, hah.

Mary V, zmtr and Larry David like this.